Early Retirement Thread: Age & Activity related!

May 8, 2013, 8:11 a.m.

There will be several attempts, but the main beneficiaries of DB plans are unionized. Expect a rocky road from labour along the way. Companies like GM are in such a huge hole regarding their DB pension obligations it's staggering. Of course, GM also got into trouble for a lot of other reasons …

Kn.

But don't worry all the execs will still make huge $ and still collect DB plans, while the minions that make the world work will take the hit. :(

Originally posted by Purecanadianhoney
I don't see how hard it would be to scrape out the head of your cock once in a while.

July 18, 2014, 11:46 a.m.

your RRSP: Mutual funds or ETFs?

I've got the choice between a 0.49% MER fund that's returned 10.9% over 5 years, or a 2.15% MER fund that's returned 14.5% over 5 years. Is it a no brainer to go with the higher previous performer? What's the ETF alternative?

We've got a 10-15 year horizon to let them grow.

July 18, 2014, 2:11 p.m.

your RRSP: Mutual funds or ETFs?

I've got the choice between a 0.49% MER fund that's returned 10.9% over 5 years, or a 2.15% MER fund that's returned 14.5% over 5 years. Is it a no brainer to go with the higher previous performer? What's the ETF alternative?

We've got a 10-15 year horizon to let them grow.

Sven.

Yes invest in the firm that is returning the higher net of fees. Also look at their risk profiles and what they are currently invested in, read the most recent audited FS/MRFP, then the AIF and the simplified prospectus. If it isn't published on the fund manager's website, you can look it up at www.sedar.com

If you have some flexibility in deciding where your money is going, look up the fund ratings on www.globefund.com or on www.morningstar.com

Paying higher fees, if the manager actually actively manages the portfolio can be good as it can help in reducing losses at the beginning of bear markets.

(Assuming that you are talking about a US Equity Fund)

Now the average of the two funds that you mentioned over the last five years isn't beating the market - which you should take into consideration. The S[HTML_REMOVED]P 500 returned 18.83% over that period whereby both funds underperformed. RE: ETF (most ETFs track an index, I am assuming here that you are talking about index tracking ETFs) your goal would be to match the benchmark index less the MER, so an ETF matching the S[HTML_REMOVED]P 500 over that period would have provided higher returns.

If you want a more comprehensive returns, you should be looking at the 10 year number, to see how those funds faired in the crash and post crash. Most funds went up from 2009 to date, as the market has had a strong bull run.

Lots of funds are boasting of their 5 year numbers right now, while their 10 year is shit due to the 2008 fiasco.

The fund where I work has returned 19.14% (net of MER) on 5 years, outperforming the market slightly. We also returned 9.13% on 10 years (after MER) beating the S[HTML_REMOVED]P's 7.78%.

(Assuming you are talking about a Canadian Equity Fund)
5 year S[HTML_REMOVED]P TSX was 11.01% and 10 years was 8.77 while we did 26.61% and 7.74% for those same periods.

In conclusion, make sure that you're comparing apples to apples, and if you're going ETF make sure that you understand the benchmark that the manager is using.

If you're investing in funds that rely on exotic derivatives, and you don't understand the fundamentals behind those derivatives, don't assume that the person investing in them for you does. Derivatives aren't bad per say, as they can allow a fund to mitigate or hedge against certain erratic market behaviour but some shit out there is set up to fail.

(all values as of June 30, 2014)

"I know that heroes ride bicycles" - Joe Biden

July 18, 2014, 3:41 p.m.

cheers Rachid. These are each a mix of different funds in a growth allocation (25% bonds/25% canadian eq/50% US/international)

Good idea to compare the 10 year returns. I was using 5, because half the funds didn't even exist in the crash (convenient to rename the company, isn't it? :eek: )

Looking at 10 year averages (ignoring the ones that didn't exist), each portfolio did 7.86% and 7.53%, respectively. Not quite apples to apples, since I had to drop Canadian equity from one and US/Global equity from the other since performance wasn't available.

Compare that to the 10 year S[HTML_REMOVED]P/TSX and returns are pretty much the same, leaving my decision to the company that has the better website tools.

July 18, 2014, 4:08 p.m.

cheers Rachid. These are each a mix of different funds in a growth allocation (25% bonds/25% canadian eq/50% US/international)

Good idea to compare the 10 year returns. I was using 5, because half the funds didn't even exist in the crash (convenient to rename the company, isn't it? :eek: )

Looking at 10 year averages (ignoring the ones that didn't exist), each portfolio did 7.86% and 7.53%, respectively. Not quite apples to apples, since I had to drop Canadian equity from one and US/Global equity from the other since performance wasn't available.

Compare that to the 10 year S[HTML_REMOVED]P/TSX and returns are pretty much the same, leaving my decision to the company that has the better website tools.

That's a good mix. I'm 20/80 Canada/US. I have a longer horizon and like equities more than bonds.

Give me a call if you want to chat about any specificities.

July 18, 2014, 4:12 p.m.

got my 1st work this year driving raft shuttle, relaxing after a hard weeks work and the drugs are just starting to kick in

July 18, 2014, 6:33 p.m.

Would that be ibuprofen or oxycontin?

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

July 18, 2014, 8:26 p.m.

Amanda had chocolate cake at her retirement party today. She said it was really good. No party for me, I'll just celebrate myself by riding my bike.

+1 for Freedom 35

This trip to Kelowna was definately an undertaking - Liam and I had been planning this project for 24 hours. We worked really hard to pull out all the stops in this video. We had slo-mo goggle shots; time lapses; pedal flips; outrageous product shots; unloading and loading the bike; walking through the field with your hand in wheat. At the end of the day this trip was all about just getting out and riding with all my friends.

www.letsridebikes.ca

July 18, 2014, 8:45 p.m.

Would that be ibuprofen or oxycontin?

both

July 18, 2014, 8:53 p.m.

Past performance is indicative of future history.

July 21, 2014, 11:29 a.m.

Past performance is indicative of future history.

This is true.

Also:

Historic performance is NEVER indicative for future performance.

July 21, 2014, 12:22 p.m.

so it's all a crapshoot in the dark anyway. Again, I might as well just go with the company with the coolest website.

July 30, 2014, 11:25 a.m.

Amanda had chocolate cake at her retirement party today. She said it was really good. No party for me, I'll just celebrate myself by riding my bike.

+1 for Freedom 35

And they are almost off!

http://globalnews.ca/news/1482329/north-vancouver-couple-sets-on-a-10-year-bike-trip/

http://globalnews.ca/bc/videos/

Best wishes for a fantastic trip, I'll be watching your site and SM feeds.

July 30, 2014, 12:20 p.m.

Hands up all those who will most likely work until they are dead

:clap:

viperfunk.com

July 30, 2014, 12:34 p.m.

I'm already dead inside,so what's the difference?

Pastor of Muppets