Early Retirement Thread: Age & Activity related!

May 6, 2013, 5:24 p.m.

Most defined benefit pensions are insolvent or projected to become insolvent (due to lower-than-average investment returns over the last 2 decades, people retiring earlier over the last decade and living longer) … maybe the gov't will bail out the government pensions. But don't count on it - public outrage will be huge.

this,
I have always worked for myself, there will be no real pension for me even if there is a pension system left buy the time I can collect.
I want to be in a place where I don't have to depend on a pension….and ultimately money itself if all hell breaks loose.
I may be a dreamer but its something I'm working towards.

To have complete faith in the money system takes a dreamer as well…the kind that is fully asleep.

May 6, 2013, 8:08 p.m.

I love my job, but I've put in enough years so that when layoffs were going around I'd wave my hand in the air and say "Over here!"

My attitude has changed. Now I wave my hand in the air and say "Hey stupid! Over here!"

May 6, 2013, 8:21 p.m.

I love my job, but I've put in enough years so that when layoffs were going around I'd wave my hand in the air and say "Over here!"

My attitude has changed. Now I wave my hand in the air and say "Hey stupid! Over here!"

nice.

Far too many people keep working when they shouldn't. Let young people have a chance.

If people really love there job so much when it's time to retire, retire and let some younger person have a chance. Meanwhile go donate your valuable skills somewhere and collect your pension.

May 6, 2013, 8:39 p.m.

All you guys will love this blog, many probably already know it;

www.mrmoneymustache.com

May 6, 2013, 8:49 p.m.

Meanwhile go donate your valuable skills somewhere and collect your pension.

Yes! So many places need volunteers. My plan is to volunteer with a mattock.

May 6, 2013, 9:33 p.m.

Wanna retire early? Stay single.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

May 6, 2013, 11:46 p.m.

when you work you got money but no time AND when you retire you got time but less money SO you figure out how to make that work for you

grow medicinal cannabis

May 7, 2013, 9:36 a.m.

Guy in my class took the early retirement route. Got bored so he started a new career, starting with 4 years of school. He's 44 now, and we're half-way through our third year.

May 7, 2013, 1:32 p.m.

retire someplace cheap and tropical, live simply

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

May 7, 2013, 1:59 p.m.

All you guys will love this blog, many probably already know it;

www.mrmoneymustache.com

I've been following this guy for awhile.

http://www.wildrootsphotography.ca/

May 7, 2013, 6:27 p.m.

Most defined benefit pensions are insolvent or projected to become insolvent (due to lower-than-average investment returns over the last 2 decades, people retiring earlier over the last decade and living longer) … maybe the gov't will bail out the government pensions. But don't count on it - public outrage will be huge.

I think we'll see all defined benefit pensions convertes to defined contribution in the next 5-10yrs.

Is there a Vancouver in Taiwan?! I had no idea!!

Nothing sums up my life's achievements like my stuffed corpse, suplexing a cougar.

May 7, 2013, 6:48 p.m.

I think we'll see all defined benefit pensions convertes to defined contribution in the next 5-10yrs.

There will be several attempts, but the main beneficiaries of DB plans are unionized. Expect a rocky road from labour along the way. Companies like GM are in such a huge hole regarding their DB pension obligations it's staggering. Of course, GM also got into trouble for a lot of other reasons …

Kn.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

May 7, 2013, 9:15 p.m.

retire someplace cheap and tropical, live simply

Amen brotha!:rocker:

May 8, 2013, 12:29 a.m.

somewhere cheap [HTML_REMOVED] tropical like Smithers eh, if you didn't fuck away all that money on silly shit back in the day would you be more able to retire in the 1st world ?

We had to chose DB or DC must have been 15 yrs ago, they gave you a formula to plug the numbers into and the more years of service you had the more DB was the better deal so I went DB

I was already retired but they gave notice at end of 2005 that anyone who went DB had 1 year to retire OR lose some the benefits cuz people were fully qualifyed for the max pension after 30 yrs (no age[HTML_REMOVED]yrs of service formula … just 30yrs and yer golden) and NOT retiring they loved their jobs so much they kept showing up for work …whats with that?

A few years ago they told us the plan was only 92% funded and the govy regs say they got to top it up in 5 years but they wanted to take 10 years which they were gona do if nobody minded, everybody pretty much said fuck you IBM is making assloads of $ and the stock is at 200$ …they had to top it up in 5 yrs

May 8, 2013, 7:49 a.m.

Guy in my class took the early retirement route. Got bored so he started a new career, starting with 4 years of school. He's 44 now, and we're half-way through our third year.

retirement….he must have been doing it wrong.

Having said that, there is a few courses I would like to take but my job makes difficult to do so. If I was retired this would free up the time to do so.