Early Retirement Thread: Age & Activity related!

May 5, 2013, 9:11 p.m.

I own 2 sets of washer/dryers

Colour me impressed.

Dont ever expect to retire fully but have been going easier on the toys and instead, playing in real estate the past few years and am actually coming out ahead.

Just made a swan dive back into the NV market,ask me in 5 years if Im still not going to retire.

Pastor of Muppets

May 5, 2013, 11:16 p.m.

The pension isn't huge but I have 2 sets of washer n dryer because I got the suite deal going on downstairs otherwise it would be much tougher to have bought a house without working and I probably wouldn't have bought 3 pair of skis done the 2 hut trips, all that skiing and be sitting over here in Maui … a basement suite is highly recommmended

May 5, 2013, 11:20 p.m.

Can we merge this thread with the Canucks thread?

May 6, 2013, 9:04 a.m.

Are you two planning on blogging your travels?

Yep. http://letsridebikes.ca is our website. We used it to blog our trip to France in 2011. Normally we've used crazyguyonabike.com to blog our trip, but wanted something more personal. We're just working on a re-design.

I don't suppose any of these potential retirees are familiar with Wordpress? Having some trouble with a theme we bought..

This trip to Kelowna was definately an undertaking - Liam and I had been planning this project for 24 hours. We worked really hard to pull out all the stops in this video. We had slo-mo goggle shots; time lapses; pedal flips; outrageous product shots; unloading and loading the bike; walking through the field with your hand in wheat. At the end of the day this trip was all about just getting out and riding with all my friends.

www.letsridebikes.ca

May 6, 2013, 9:36 a.m.

lol @ retiring. That's actually an option for some people?

viperfunk.com

May 6, 2013, 12:14 p.m.

Spend [HTML_REMOVED] you^^ make put some away which is pretty much the wealthy barber scenario, if I can do it purely by accident anyone can do it, there is nothing stopping you^^ but you

consider its not just retiring its getting old, the fashion in how you get old, your lifestyle/money/health/happiness,quality of life will depend on YOU

you can be the nightshift cashier at 7-11 in yer autumn years or boot packing up a coulior on a dawn patrol … suggest you decide sooner than later

May 6, 2013, 12:22 p.m.

well given the shitty rate of return on relatively safe investments, someone without a defined pension who is in thier late 30s or early 40s without much of an rrsp is pretty much fucked.

best investment is learn to live cheap. which isnt so bad.

May 6, 2013, 12:27 p.m.

yes sacrifice early on is the key AND if you say yer fucked …aren't you?

edit: and don't get divorced after 2 divorces I had to sacrifice big time for [HTML_REMOVED]10yrs to just sneak in under the wire

May 6, 2013, 12:28 p.m.

All depends if my kids will let me live in there basement. Otherwise I have been eyeing some pretty sweet shopping carts, that or my plan to use the lottery for my retirement works out.

Master of Puppets

May 6, 2013, 1:23 p.m.

yes sacrifice early on is the key AND if you say yer fucked …aren't you?

edit: and don't get divorced after 2 divorces I had to sacrifice big time for [HTML_REMOVED]10yrs to just sneak in under the wire

ya ill be fine, I started saving early . that said I bet when im 55 or 60 ill still want to be working, mainly because i like my job.

I just need to figure out how to push my holidays to 6 - 8 weeks a year to round out the package.

May 6, 2013, 1:34 p.m.

Y'know I also liked the fixing HW and the never ending roadtrip aspect of my job … but this is way better

and actualy I got more money now … I never used to spend money the way I do now

May 6, 2013, 1:58 p.m.

I started saving for retirement when I was 18…a per my parents recommendations. It wasn`t fun to be driving a 20 yo car when all your friends were in brand new vehicles, but retiring early I think is worth it. Even once my wife and I where established we still lived like paupers, but we did throw almost a $100,000 extra against the mortgage in 4 yrs.

So to recap… Spend [HTML_REMOVED] Earn.

Fraser Valley Mountain Bikers Assoc.

May 6, 2013, 2:28 p.m.

yeah quit paying interest on loans and actualy getting rid of debt which costs you $, consider you might save mo money paying off your debt than you can make on investing money

I went longterm long amortizartion so while I could be paying off more $ on the mortgage its more important to not work right now (except at skiing) and besides … the tenant is paying for everything

May 6, 2013, 2:51 p.m.

someone without a defined pension who is in thier late 30s or early 40s without much of an rrsp is pretty much fucked.

Most defined benefit pensions are insolvent or projected to become insolvent (due to lower-than-average investment returns over the last 2 decades, people retiring earlier over the last decade and living longer) … maybe the gov't will bail out the government pensions. But don't count on it - public outrage will be huge.

May 6, 2013, 3:13 p.m.

that said I bet when im 55 or 60 ill still want to be working, mainly because i like my job.

I know a few guys like that. They work part time not so much because they have to but as one guy who is a bike mechanic said….I like tinkering and if I didn't come in a few days a week. I'd get bored. The guy is 76.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/