dutch euthanasia laws - going too far?

Dec. 1, 2016, 8:22 p.m.

so the dutch have allowed euthanasia in certain circumstances for a while now, but recently a man who suffered as an alcoholic decided to call it quits. think this is going a bit far?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3980608/Dutch-euthanasia-law-used-kill-alcoholic-41-decided-death-way-escape-problems.html

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Dec. 1, 2016, 8:44 p.m.

His choice. Either that or does it himself, possibly living through it and not of sound mind to make the decision.

BCpov on YouTube

www.instagram.com/BCPov

www.facebook.com/BCpov

Dec. 1, 2016, 9:39 p.m.

Hey when you're broken your broken.

Dec. 1, 2016, 10:39 p.m.

it,s a choice only the individual can only make , I feel in the end it will be a great service for those who have constant internal battles and who are drones relying on drugs be it legal or not to exist

#northsidetrailbuilders

Dec. 2, 2016, 1:01 a.m.

Why on earth should a government, or anyone for that matter, be allowed to deny someone that choice? What purpose does making such acts illegal serve? I'm seriously curious if anyone has a reasonable argument for this? I'm definitely not on the fence on the subject, but I'm usually sometimes mostly possibly willing to have my mind changed.

Dec. 2, 2016, 1:32 a.m.

http://www.euthanasia.com/argumentsagainsteuthanasia.html

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Dec. 2, 2016, 7:10 a.m.

in some of these cases it is basically government sanctioned suicide….

i have a 90+ yr old uncle in a care home for over last 15 yrs. at this point he doesn't have any quality of life. in a situation like that i can def see some humanitarian sides to the argument…

Dec. 2, 2016, 7:43 a.m.

Meanwhile in Vancouver you can od on street drug 6 times a week and someone will step in and jump start you again.
Maybe we need some of this over here.

Dec. 2, 2016, 8:08 a.m.

http://www.euthanasia.com/argumentsagainsteuthanasia.html

Yeah, absolutely nothing in there is a compelling argument as to why the autonomy of ones own mortality should be in question. The ability for the health system to make this choice for you is a much more complicated subject. Obviously this is a big topic that touches on a lot of societal values, but at it's base if we value freedom so greatly, the ability for one to chose when, where and why they leave this spiral, should be of their own choosing. The fact that this article's conclusive paragraph states that "History has taught us the dangers of euthanasia" and then provides absolutely no support for this statement pretty much sums it up.

Dec. 3, 2016, 5:05 a.m.

Meanwhile in Vancouver you can od on street drug 6 times a week and someone will step in and jump start you again.

asshole post of the week so far

Dec. 3, 2016, 6:42 a.m.

yea the harm reduction argument is a complicated one. if they allowed more safe injection sites and regulated drugs so that addicts aren't getting fentanyl laced heroin and ODing would be a good start…..

i lived in east van in the 90's when that heroin wave rolled thru. everybody i knew on the eastside got broke into sometimes more than once, you would go to party and hear a few days later how there was two people dead in the bedroom from ODing…. you have to control and mitigate these situations… little off topic i guess….but yea kind of a douche post….

Dec. 3, 2016, 12:07 p.m.

Oh yeah? I told the wife take the Naloxone away for just one week and maybe we could get some traffic enforcement in this town again.

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Dec. 3, 2016, 3:35 p.m.

Best post of the month.

The raw, primitive, unrefined trails that see little to no maintenance are the kinds of trails that really build skill. What kind of skills do you learn riding a trail that was made by a machine, groomed to perfection and void of any rocks, roots or other obstacles that could send you careening over the handlebars?

Dec. 3, 2016, 3:38 p.m.

Hey when you're broken your broken.

Kind of a misleading thought as it suggests that if one is broken compared to what we consider normal. Then they will all seek Euthanasia.

Reality is compared to what everyone considers normal those fighting mental illness are broken. The hardest part is being able to accept that as a person and live with that state of being. Some are able to manage being broken and continue to live life. But as we have seen every year in the media there are those. Who can't manage that state of being and it finally gets to them.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Dec. 3, 2016, 6:02 p.m.

Remind me why we're euthanising the Dutch?

Pastor of Muppets