Drilling Leases Scrapped in Utah - Renegade Bidder Wins!

Feb. 5, 2009, 7:42 p.m.

Remember the story of Tim DeChristopher who circumvented an auction on drilling rights in some of Utah's most pristine landscapes? The Obama administration has just put the kibosh on all of the leases and any funds received will be returned.

New York Times Story - Drilling Leases Scrapped
Thanks to Eric Daggett for the link.

To see the original article featuring Tim DeChristopher's act of civil disobedience click here.

Check out Tim DeChristopher's site here.

Amazing to have some good news for a change.

Feb. 5, 2009, 7:57 p.m.

:woot:

That is fantastic news.

Feb. 5, 2009, 8:02 p.m.

Leasing FTL

GPABoosters: SFU/UBC course review database
:ukraine:

Youtube clips are about as useful to me as a miniskirt in Iran.

Feb. 5, 2009, 8:08 p.m.

Awesome story!

Feb. 5, 2009, 8:10 p.m.

That is great news.

The difference between the two administrations is amazing.

Dan

www.steedcycles.com

Feb. 5, 2009, 8:14 p.m.

That is great news.

The difference between the two administrations is amazing.

Dan

go on a american bulletin board.
its sad.

Ha Ha! Made you look.

Feb. 5, 2009, 8:49 p.m.

go on a american bulletin board.
its sad.

very.

Feb. 5, 2009, 9:58 p.m.

well get down there and enjoy it as it is before the GOP is reinstated

Feb. 6, 2009, 12:17 a.m.

Hippies

Feb. 6, 2009, 8:32 a.m.

hey dirty hippies are fighting grass roots campagins right in yer own back yard

http://www.concernedaboutcbm.org/

we kicked their asses out of the bulkley valley , and that was actualy a well orchestrated plan by enviros in business suits not tie die T-shirts

and the talthan nation has been blockading royal dutch shell (who have tenure)up in the sacred head waters for a few years now .

if you want to give up your life of rampant consumerism,get really green work for lesss than nothing at an NGO and have the nads to shout "turn off that idling vehical" at random folks on the street ,these folks can help you do it .

EVERY serious enviro I have ever met has been to hollyhock …a finishing school for envromental activists

http://www.hollyhock.ca/cms/

Feb. 6, 2009, 9:01 a.m.

we kicked their asses out of the bulkley valley , and that was actualy a well orchestrated plan by enviros in business suits not tie die T-shirts

and the talthan nation has been blockading royal dutch shell (who have tenure)up in the sacred head waters for a few years now .

Coal bed methane can be drilled with minimal impact on the environment. It can be done. citing montana and southern alberta as an example is flawed. With proper cementing and produced water programs in place, the only environmental damage would occur in the building of new roads off of existing logging roads. With the current trend in the economy in Canada we dont need setbacks, this would be a great boost. Its going to be drilled maybe not in our lifetime but its going to happen. The problem I see with "hippies" they drive delapitated vehicles with bad fuel economy, with components made of plastic, live in wood houses, heat their homes with natural gas, wipe their asses with toilet paper. The NIMBY attitude is weak. Most people dont care how it got there as long as they dont have to visualy deal with it. Technology in offshore drilling is advanced. Look how norway manages to drill. Whos to say we can do that here?. I cant wait for the day i can take a crew boat from horseshoe bay to my rig in the georgia strait.

Feb. 6, 2009, 9:09 a.m.

While I understand the opposition to CBM development, and many of the facts on that website are correct, but there are some pretty large errors that are being used as scare tactics.

I am not looking for a debate about CBM, but rather encourage anyone who wants to be active in a cause to understand all the facts from a variety of sources.

Feb. 6, 2009, 9:14 a.m.

Hey what's with the double posting in multiple forums? Damn guy thinks just cause it's his site he can break the rules - 30 days in the box for you!!!

Feb. 6, 2009, 9:20 a.m.

if you want to give up your life of rampant consumerism,get really green work for lesss than nothing at an NGO and have the nads to shout "turn off that idling vehical" at random folks on the street ,these folks can help you do it .

EVERY serious enviro I have ever met has been to hollyhock …a finishing school for envromental activists

http://www.hollyhock.ca/cms/

don't you mean every RICH serious enviro?

"Nobody really gives a shit that you don't like the thing that you have no firsthand experience with." Dave

Feb. 6, 2009, 10:44 a.m.

Coal bed methane can be drilled with minimal impact on the environment. It can be done. citing montana and southern alberta as an example is flawed. With proper cementing and produced water programs in place, the only environmental damage would occur in the building of new roads off of existing logging roads..

well you (the industry) didnt do it right, you in fact just admitted this,and you are saying ya we fucked it up but we know or at least we think we how to do it now .

Its rather like leaving the fox in charge of the hen house ,banking is a differnt industry but letting that industry self regulate is what they did with the american banking stystem and now everything is fucked.They have skin in the game ,they should have had self interest but they fucked it up anyway ,so why is any commodities extraction industry gona give a fuck once they got the $$.

The BC gov wants royalty $ they don't live here they don't care ,most of the province lives in vancover lots of em don't know where the bulkley valley or sacred headwaters is and they don't care … its up to the locals to take care of their own land .In south america ,africa ,the congo , nigeria … you would just shoot them all and then pay some guy who has lots of assitants carrying ak47's

Sure nimbys and enviro hippies have a pie in the sky view of the world and idea's you could drive a oilsands earthmover thru BUT they are the other end of the spectrum …they add a little balance to the "kill/rape/pillage" concept.When they fuck up its relatively benign . Do you want to fuck it all up OR maybe do you wana come here fishing and still have fish to catch we are talking about 1/5th or the province where nobody goes cuz its so fucking far from everything

Probaly with the economic downturn the dropping price of oil [HTML_REMOVED] minerals will send it ALL back down south where its much easier to operate without enviromental rules (maybe pay off local officials ) the way its always been in true nimby fashion .Smithers is actualy has quite a few drilling companies who have operated down south in the past ,as a result of this you see groups of south american women having coffee at Shimmels coffee shop ,hot latin wives imported by the drillers … and buddy is back down south running a drill .BTW when I 1st got here a cpr engineer told me "diamond driller" is code for "coke dealer"

and how about the 1st nations thing,there is like 1 land claim settled in BC and gordo wants this shit done … you can get anything stopped if you hook your horse to the 1st nations wagon which is what we did for rally 2 of the CBM campagaign .Hundreds of marching people make great press on the front page of the Globe [HTML_REMOVED] mail BC section.1st nation agrees to one thing then they say no then they sat yes then they say maybe give us some money … an investor wants something he can depend on a little more and that is somewhwere else

Sure its nimby, but you don't like dogs shitting on yer lawn or hookers blowing johns in your back alley ,leaving full condoms [HTML_REMOVED] empty needles in yer neighborhood …I don't want a mine or a cbm gas well in my valley

how bout the peace where your own people are blowing up encana property cuz they are pissed off ?The RCMP would have caught dirty hippies by now …those are pissed off locals

and why are there some pretty large errors which can be used as scare tactics ?Cuz ita all so new and unregulated (read we are flying by the seat of our pants )that the enviros were able to get a wedge in and pry … make a difference .I asked a local enviro why he worked so hard on CBM but not the davidson project which is gona put a mine right in the middle of town and he said well you could drive a truck thru the CBM policies but you can't with mining cusz its all carved in stone .

in any case the retired x-mayor of smithers is very strongly opposed to a mine in the community watershed and he has the huge very strong dutch farmer lobby (you are nobody in this town if your grandma isnt buried here) so suddenly the "special interest group " has a common interest with the general population,and according to my ski buddy the mining inspector they have fucked the project up at every turn ebvne tho he told them to do it right cuz "there are alot of really smart people here " …should be interesting

http://www.thompsoncreekmetals.com/s/DavidsonProject.asp

I live a couple of miles below that glacier ,the deck faces it ,a good place to work on yer tan blast the stereo , drink beer ,burn a number and watch the snow melt