Downtown bike storage

Oct. 27, 2013, 10:13 a.m.

My wife and I are looking to buy a place sometime in the near future. We are looking in the $500-700k price range, and assuming that we want to stay in downtown/close to downtown, that means we'll be in a condo. Problem is, it seems like 95% of downtown condo buildings don't let you bring bikes in the elevators (and I usually like to store my bikes inside our unit). How do people living downtown store their mountain bikes? Ideally I would find a condo with a very secure private storage locker and stick them in there. Another option would be to store them in one of those self storage lockers that you can rent monthly. Does anyone use those to store their bikes? If so, how much are you paying a month, and are the lockers accessible 24/7? Any other options in terms of bike store when you live in a newish downtown condo building?

Oct. 27, 2013, 10:26 a.m.

I tried your first option when we lived in a condo (even fitted the storage locker out to lock the bikes to the floor and make sure they were hidden), still lost a bike that way. We eventually talked the strata into letting the bikes into units (on the condition they were cleaned first). It's the only safe way I have found.

Oct. 27, 2013, 10:31 a.m.

have you thought about the fairview slopes area? you should be able to find a townhouse in your price range there and townhouse = your own front door. plus you can walk to granville island, the shops of south granville and dt is a short drive, cab or aquabus away.

fairview slope:
http://www.realtor.ca/propertyDetails.aspx?propertyId=13509159[HTML_REMOVED]PidKey=-1648638336
crappy pics thos

or if you're willing to do City of Vancouver leasehold you can get something like this on the waterfront in false creek with views of dt:
http://www.realtor.ca/propertyDetails.aspx?propertyId=13610531[HTML_REMOVED]PidKey=1252458757

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Oct. 27, 2013, 10:34 a.m.

Look for something in Fairview Slopes. Most of the unit have their own doors to the outside world. No dragging your bike through the hall. I been living in the area for 10 years. All the benefits of downtown without any of the problems. Granville Island is within walking distance. Store my bikes in my den right by my door.

Dam syncro got me by a few minutes. One more thing get a realtor that knows the area. There are many good buildings but there are a number of sucky ones.

Oct. 27, 2013, 10:35 a.m.

^^^

ha!

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Oct. 27, 2013, 11:37 a.m.

I've been storing my bikes in the common bike storage rooms in downtown condos for a couple years now with no problems (knock on wood). I make sure they're well locked and have double checked that my home insurance will cover me in the event of a theft. Not the ideal situation, but by no means bad enough that I would consider living elsewhere for the sole purpose of having better bike storage.

Way back from the old school days of NSMB…

Oct. 27, 2013, 11:55 a.m.

I've been storing my bikes in the common bike storage rooms in downtown condos for a couple years now with no problems (knock on wood). I make sure they're well locked and have double checked that my home insurance will cover me in the event of a theft. Not the ideal situation, but by no means bad enough that I would consider living elsewhere for the sole purpose of having better bike storage.

Will insurance cover the full amount of the bike? I think I remember talking to an insurance company about that and the regular home insurance only covered up to a certain amount (like $2k or something) but you had to pay extra to cover anything more.

Oct. 27, 2013, 12:16 p.m.

Will insurance cover the full amount of the bike? I think I remember talking to an insurance company about that and the regular home insurance only covered up to a certain amount (like $2k or something) but you had to pay extra to cover anything more.

TD insurance. Best bike coverage I have found yet.

Originally posted by Purecanadianhoney
I don't see how hard it would be to scrape out the head of your cock once in a while.

Oct. 27, 2013, 12:52 p.m.

Its a hassle to find, but some places downtown allow bikes. Read the rules carefully. Then get on strata council so you can head off anyone who tries to put in a no bikes rule.

Oct. 27, 2013, 2:29 p.m.

Before you buy or rent get the stratas position on bikes. I will never live anywhere that doesn't allow them directly in the apartment/condo itself. There are many that will accommodate this. The bike room in my current building looks like something between a garbage dump, a scrap heap and a police auction. No way my bikes will be in there.

It has always struck me as a little more than ironic that the outdoor capital of the country builds these buildings without any real consideration for all of this valuable sports equipment, and no a bike room (in the sad iterations I have seen) is not a sufficient answer. A 5 buck set of Allen keys and you are out large.

As for insurance get a policy that includes bikes, not a separate one. I use Chubb, and you don't pay extra for your bikes with them.

I would avoid a separate storage facility for expensive sports equipment (skis and bikes etc).

Oct. 27, 2013, 3 p.m.

It has always struck me as a little more than ironic that the outdoor capital of the country builds these buildings without any real consideration for all of this valuable sports equipment, and no a bike room (in the sad iterations I have seen) is not a sufficient answer. A 5 buck set of Allen keys and you are out large.

This is exactly why I started this thread. With all the people in Vancouver that have high end bikes (either road or mountain), I figured there had to be some sort of solid solution to this problem. Unfortunately, that does not seem to be the case.

Oct. 27, 2013, 3:10 p.m.

277 dolars a month in maintenance fees? WTF is that

Ha Ha! Made you look.

Oct. 27, 2013, 3:22 p.m.

thats half my fuckn rent.

Ha Ha! Made you look.

Oct. 27, 2013, 3:52 p.m.

Dirt cheap.

+1

Oct. 27, 2013, 6:10 p.m.

Like others have suggested, we have TD insurance, it covers any individual bike up to $5k. (Un)fortunately(?) I don't have any bikes worth more than that. I think the standard TD insurance only covers up to $2k, but part of the deal they give you for being a UBC alumni is increased bike coverage. If you aren't eligible for the alumni perks, shop around, every provider offers slightly different coverage.

Way back from the old school days of NSMB…