Donald Trump... Narcissist in Chief!

Jan. 30, 2017, 2:25 p.m.

Terrorism is a problem, and most of the most dangerous acts of terror come from Muslims.

be careful saying things like that as you might get accused of being a trump apologist, far/alt right or a racist :shhh:

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Jan. 30, 2017, 2:54 p.m.

Unfortunately, the most effective way to stop domestic terrorists is to increase surveillance, which is also deemed the work of fascists.

• Citation needed.

Ok, ok. I'll agree if we keep playing this game of Choose One! Republican or Democrat?, we can't hope for much else.

This solution is akin to a heroin addict thinking that a weekly stick of broccoli will bring about change.

I think I became officially sick of the far left during Occupy Wall St and their meetings with hand gestures instead of speaking and consensus instead of leadership.

Actually, that cemented Bernie as a viable leader of the US. It's a shame politics got in the way, but hey, the Democrats and the Republicans are there to make money.

It was a very real and timely movement. The fact that a charismatic psychopath didn't materialize to lead everyone was more a function of statistics than anything. Regarding that, it's a shame that in this day in age it's still the only type of person we follow.

Terrorism is a problem, and most of the most dangerous acts of terror come from Muslims. You can't ignore that.

And it's also a shame more people die from shark attacks every year yet that isn't a major platform item for most politician's.

It's almost like we should immediately exclude anyone from office who wants to run for office.

Jan. 30, 2017, 3:02 p.m.

And it's also a shame more people die from shark attacks every year yet that isn't a major platform item for most politician's.

plus lots of other things like car crashes, but society has accepted the dangers of these thing as a part of life as they fit into our idea of what's good. in the predominantly white christian west we haven't accepted the idea of terrorism as normal nor does the idea of radical islam, and for many islam itself, fit into our idea of what's good.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Jan. 30, 2017, 3:04 p.m.

I'd also like to add, if you tuned in for all the debates, click on all those click-baity headlines and shared all those sweet, sweet artic … als that stroked your confirmation biases, you sir, are as much to blame as cousin-fucking hillbilly Dan.

Probably even more so as you make more money per annum.

Jan. 30, 2017, 3:19 p.m.

I have always agreed with Harris's stance on terrorism and Islam, although I think the focus on border security is foolish when the threat is an ideology and the perpetrators can get their ideas and influence over the internet. Unfortunately, the most effective way to stop domestic terrorists is to increase surveillance, which is also deemed the work of fascists.

Agreed. The nonsense at the border won't achieve much. Although I do wonder if it was done simply to provoke attacks to justify further action.

Great vid you posted. I believe it's the failure of the left to admit the link between ideologies and action that has brought this upon themselves.

It's not that Islam is historically so special as to be singled out, it's that it is at a point in the timeline where it poses the greatest threat. 300 years ago we'd be having the same discussion about Christianity. It does boggle my mind that religion is not behind us by now, and I do hope humanity will overcome the delusion at some point. In the meantime there's no getting around the fact that there is one religion that stands ahead of the others when it comes to being a threat to logic and reason, human/women's rights and western culture, than the one who has unabashedly declared war on all of the above. Christianity has thankfully lost its power, and sitting around singing kumbaya and proclaiming 'Islamaphobe' when anyone criticizes terrible ideas is how you end up with Trump in power. Would have been so easy for the left to just admit there is a problem, rather than have Obama stand up the day after the Orlando shooting and proclaim "Islamist terrorism has less to do with Islam than any other religion", when it was an Orlando mosque preaching to 'out of compassion, kill the gays now'. Talk about having your head so far up your ass you can't breath.

ISIS was so sick of hearing the rhetoric that it's the west's fault for oppressing those nations, they wanted to set the record straight. Again, democrats just needed to admit what we already knew.
"The fact is, even if you were to stop bombing us, imprisoning us, torturing us, vilifying us, and usurping our lands, we would continue to hate you because our primary reason for hating you will not cease to exist until you embrace Islam. Even if you were to pay jizyah [tax for infidels] and live under the authority of Islam in humiliation, we would continue to hate you."

So, as Frum noted, if you don't take care of what needs taking care of, you'll get some crackpot taking a swing at it. What a shit show this is going to be.

Jan. 30, 2017, 3:24 p.m.

Did you really just say that? You can do better.

Jan. 30, 2017, 3:28 p.m.

Did you really just say that? You can do better.

I totally just said that. And I mean it.

The Democrats and Republicans are in business to make us scared.

Where am I wrong?

Jan. 30, 2017, 3:31 p.m.

It's not that Islam is historically so special as to be singled out, it's that it is at a point in the timeline where it poses the greatest threat. 300 years ago we'd be having the same discussion about Christianity. It does boggle my mind that religion is not behind us by now, and I do hope humanity will overcome the delusion at some point. In the meantime there's no getting around the fact that there is one religion that stands ahead of the others when it comes to being a threat to logic and reason, human/women's rights and western culture, than the one who has unabashedly declared war on all of the above. Christianity has thankfully lost its power, and sitting around singing kumbaya and proclaiming 'Islamaphobe' when anyone criticizes terrible ideas is how you end up with Trump in power. Would have been so easy for the left to just admit there is a problem, rather than have Obama stand up the day after the Orlando shooting and proclaim "Islamist terrorism has less to do with Islam than any other religion", when it was an Orlando mosque preaching to 'out of compassion, kill the gays now'. Talk about having your head so far up your ass you can't breath.

I can replace every implication of muslim in the sentence above and replace it with christian and can still be in agreement with you[1].

[1] - United States of America, 2017

Jan. 30, 2017, 3:44 p.m.

^ mic drop.

Meaning?

And I think the Taliban were characterised not only by the US media as freedom fighters. The western powers had a definite interest in supporting the precursors of them simply because of the USSR marching into Afghanistan. Once more it was short sighted and dangerous, and did not help at all.

And the way the west deals with the issue of fundamentalist Islam it seems to be that nothing has been learned or taken to heart.

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

Jan. 30, 2017, 3:46 p.m.

I totally just said that. And I mean it.

The Democrats and Republicans are in business to make us scared.

Where am I wrong?

Let me preface with "I think Trump's policy is at best flawed and at worst a grave threat".

Are you suggesting that Islam does not pose a threat to anyone? How about women? Other Muslims? Freedom of speech, which is the single most important value in western culture? Have you seen what is happening in Europe?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_terrorist_incidents_in_2016

I can replace every implication of muslim in the sentence above and replace it with christian and can still be in agreement with you[1].

[1] - United States of America, 2017

Do you really think that Christianity in 2017 is on equal footing as Islam? Really?? I'll give you that they were just as bad, or worse in recent history but that is what you think in the modern world right now?

Jan. 30, 2017, 3:54 p.m.

Fascism. I warned of this some time ago and you mocked me. Remember that.

Well, it seems as if the ACLU and the judges are not yet under Trump's control or deported into camps.

- Kristen Ulmer

Jan. 30, 2017, 4:07 p.m.

Meaning?

Kidding right?

Jan. 30, 2017, 4:11 p.m.

Are you suggesting that Islam does not pose a threat to anyone? How about women? Other Muslims? Freedom of speech, which is the single most important value in western culture? Have you seen what is happening in Europe?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_terrorist_incidents_in_2016

Do you really think that Christianity in 2017 is on equal footing as Islam? Really?? I'll give you that they were just as bad, or worse in recent history but that is what you think in the modern world right now?

I am suggesting "Christians" are affecting my life far more negatively right now than muslims.

Muslims only exist through LED panels.

"Christians" make policy that creates more terrorists. That is bad.

We only have the option to elect "Christians".

"Christians" really aren't that different from muslims though, so I don't see what all the fuss is about.

Jan. 30, 2017, 4:14 p.m.

Do you really think that Christianity in 2017 is on equal footing as Islam? Really??

American Christianity is.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Jan. 30, 2017, 4:15 p.m.

Kidding right?

Life on the boards can be odd at times with my name.

- Kristen Ulmer