Donald Trump... Narcissist in Chief!

March 3, 2017, 3:01 p.m.

Chomsky My guess is that most of the world is just collapsing in laughter

Re: Russian interference in US elections....

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Last edited by: tungsten on March 4, 2017, 12:16 p.m., edited 3 times in total.
March 4, 2017, 7:42 a.m.

Given the date of its first publication I think the portray of the (mainstream) media and how politics and journalism are intertwined might be a bit outdated, but the core principles might be the same.

I think that Big Data and Social Media and what is technologically possible have seriously changed the game, as described in the Guardian article on Mercer, Social Media, the election and the Brexit.

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

March 4, 2017, 8:32 a.m.

I'd need to re-read it to argue if it's outdated or not. My gut says, "not really".

Big data is just a much better tool for them to use.

March 5, 2017, 12:30 a.m.

Posted by: ReductiMat

I'd need to re-read it to argue if it's outdated or not. My gut says, "not really".

Big data is just a much better tool for them to use.

The tools have changed rather dramatically. 

I agree that the basic idea is not outdated at all, that by how an issue is presented/reported on/dealt with the media is creating consent and approval or disapproval of a certain issue. 

Just think of all the tabloids and how these papers of "journalism" influence public opinion. And even "quality papers" like NYTimes are simply presenting facts wrapped in a certain opinion, so to speak.

March 5, 2017, 12:47 a.m.

Re: Trump and democracy

I just came across an interesting article on Larry Diamond from Stanford University.

He coined the term "democratic recession". Quite interesting.

March 5, 2017, 3:02 p.m.

Posted by: Mic

. And even "quality papers" like NYTimes are simply presenting facts wrapped in a certain opinion, so to speak.

"Quality". lol.....NYTimes is a craven mouthpiece for empire!

March 5, 2017, 3:04 p.m.

This new format is not an improvement. I'm being kind here.

March 5, 2017, 9:33 p.m.

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

March 6, 2017, 1:20 a.m.

Why conservatives are illogical...

March 6, 2017, 1:37 p.m.

I believe I still can stay well informed using various news sources and those include mainstream media.

It will certainly provide you with enough ammo to sound relevant on any typical Facebook conversation.

Did you ever read, "Manufacturing Consent"?

Response

NSMB is my Facebook (been off FB for years).  

I am not a huge fan of Chomsky, but I will pick it up.

I think the sociopaths that want to control us do so before the media.  They manipulate the stories themselves and the media is always looking for headlines that catch eyeballs, so you give them what they want and with slight of hand we are looking the other way.  This has a similar effect as controlling the media itself, but it is easier, cheaper and leaves far less fingerprints.  Even if you had Soros in your pocket, he then has to control the content very cautiously as to not get caught, which would include paying off journalists, editors, etc and keeping it all on the DL.  These major media sources are also an echo chamber, so you would need full control or you have nothing.  It just seems messy and complicated to me.  I am sure there is some of this, but total control of anything in a democracy is very difficult.

I was saying earlier, the belief that mainstream media is on on the take and nothing but a pack of lies is how Trump was elected.  People went online looking for other sources of news and right into the alt-right nest of propaganda disguised as an alternative to the bought and sold media.  Well played President Bannon.

March 6, 2017, 3:50 p.m.

The six entities who control all the media do so not by so much by tailoring messages, but on deciding what not to show.

They are a rotten bunch and people are finally cluing into this.  In my opinion, the reason a large part went in the wrong direction can be attributed to our gutted public education system.

March 6, 2017, 7:23 p.m.

Posted by: switch

Why conservatives are illogical...

Have any good ones on liberals?

I'd probably start with something like this.

Then I'd head over to this territory.

March 7, 2017, 5:34 a.m.

Posted by: tungsten

. And even "quality papers" like NYTimes are simply presenting facts wrapped in a certain opinion, so to speak.

Well, of course every paper is biased and trying to sell their perspective but I'd rather read the NYtimes than the Sun or the Daily Mirror or the Bild which we have in Germany.

March 7, 2017, 11:41 a.m.

The six entities who control all the media do so not by so much by tailoring messages, but on deciding what not to show.

They are a rotten bunch and people are finally cluing into this.  In my opinion, the reason a large part went in the wrong direction can be attributed to our gutted public education system.

Are you saying that public washroom trannies are not the massive problem I have been lead to believe?

Going back to the last election, what kind of stories were left out?  Do you think that they ignore them completely, or just supply minimal coverage to make them seem like less important than they really are?

March 7, 2017, 11:30 p.m.

Posted by: tungsten

Well, of course every paper is biased and trying to sell their perspective but I'd rather read the NYtimes than the Sun or the Daily Mirror or the Bild which we have in Germany.

Well, as long as you're reading between the lines professore.....