Dog Grief

Oct. 11, 2016, 12:58 p.m.

We adopted Paige the niece of my last dog just under 3 years ago after my dog Loki passed unexpectedly.
Last Friday we got test results of a cancer wrapped around her bladder outlet explaining why she was having urination problems and blood in it.
We were supposed to start her tonight on some meds this evening that might have helped her reduce the symptoms or make her violently throw up 50/50 and would not be ready until today .
As fate would have it she started to rapidly decline over the weekend eventually bleeding large amounts when she peed and yelping in pain.
She had mAybe ½ day before she would go septic , so we stopped at an animal hospital .
While there we made the decision to put her to sleep.

My wife and I and our 13yr old kid were there with her during the event .

I've never had to this before and can't believe how shitty i feel.

Oct. 11, 2016, 1:13 p.m.

I had to make a similar call not too long ago and it is really tough. I really didn't realize how tough it would be when the day arrived.

At least you didn't have to watch Paige in illness for a long period of time…

Oct. 11, 2016, 1:40 p.m.

It is never easy. Sorry to hear this.

Life is like riding a bicycle – in order to keep your balance, you must keep moving.

A. Einstein

Oct. 11, 2016, 1:55 p.m.

yea we put our cat of 19 yrs down a few years back..

i still tear up to this day at random times..

i feel your pain man..

tbh it never really gets easier… fuk whos cutting onions in here ???

:flame:

Oct. 11, 2016, 2:18 p.m.

So sorry to hear that :(

Oct. 11, 2016, 2:32 p.m.

It's the worst.
Losing a family member.
Giving the animal the best life you could counts for a lot.
Now I'm all misty.
sorry

People always ask me what's the phenomenon
Yo what's up? Yo what's goin' on- Adam Yauch

Oct. 11, 2016, 2:42 p.m.

My golden is laying on the floor beside me. He just got some extra ear scratches. This is something I don't want to think about. It is the worst part of owning a pet, and making that decision is not taken lightly. GTDad, I feel your pain.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Oct. 11, 2016, 2:44 p.m.

been there a few years ago when we had to put my little guy down while he sat on my lap.

it sucks and i feel for you and your family. :trinity:

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Oct. 11, 2016, 5:17 p.m.

Thanks guys we are pretty torn up. My first dog "loki" passed away very suddenly in 2013 , we had a serious connection. I was devastated but more saddened that it had happened when I was away for work and he died in the dark in my wifes arms.

This time it was decision and the toughest I ever made. I feel guilty and are second guessing ourselves….

Some good friends of ours have Paige's 1 yr old grand puppy their daughter named their dog "freya" one of the other norse gods as my first dogs name was Loki and she knew him well. Very thoughfull 9ryr old.

House feels so empty now.

Oct. 11, 2016, 5:44 p.m.

There's no good way… being there to make the decision or not being there and it being made for you. Losing our last dog was the toughest emotional period I've been through. An empty feeling house sucks. Best wishes to you.

Oct. 11, 2016, 6:01 p.m.

My first dog and cat made it to 18 1/2 and 19 respectively. I was 3 years old when Mum and Dad got them for me and they passed away within 6 months of each other. That afternoon in the vet when we put Toby my dog down will stay with me especially as one of the saddest moments of my life.

There really is something amazing about the bond you can have with an animal. Just try remember all the good times with them bud! That's all ya can do

Oct. 11, 2016, 6:26 p.m.

that shit sucks.

Oct. 11, 2016, 8:15 p.m.

It is never easy we where there less than a year ago , toughest day of my life , the old guy was like a puppy the day we took him in .

Fast forward too today and we have another life ( 9mth old pitt/bc x) in our lives making our family almost complete again , ( 3 dogs , had 4 ) .

#northsidetrailbuilders

Oct. 11, 2016, 9:06 p.m.

ahhh that's a serious drag mate. we don't have children so we take our pets welfare very serious. i worry people think i'm weird and try to downplay my interest in my cats. i get worried sick if anything happens to them, i can only imagine when the inevitable happens. take care and give a good life to another deserving dog when the time is right.

Oct. 12, 2016, 10:13 a.m.

Thank you everyone. We are at a loss and the house feels empty. this morning I read more about the bladder cancer treatment etc. After reading I feel a little better