Does this change how you feel about your neighbours?

Dec. 30, 2020, 10:47 p.m.

Pre-Trump, I always considered Americans to be fairly similar to Canadians in regards to what they think about things. I no longer believe this to be the case. Here is an NPR poll that drives this home for me.

Highlights include 

41% of Americans either believe Obama was not born in USA or are unsure - really? Still?

Greater than 2/3 think or are unsure if covid was developed in a Chinese lab.

54% (a majority) believe or are unsure if a Satan worshiping child sex ring is trying to control their government.

Do any of you think differently of your neighbour's to the south in the post trump world?

Dec. 30, 2020, 11:18 p.m.

Posted by: JBV

do you ever think of actually killing? me neither. a LOT of Americans do.

Only about three times more likely than their Cdn cousins.

https://www.indexmundi.com/facts/indicators/VC.IHR.PSRC.P5/rankings

I blame the gub'mint..... https://www.counterpunch.org/2020/01/15/american-murder/

Dec. 30, 2020, 11:30 p.m.

A lot of that comes down to the warped values of christian fundamentalism imo

Dec. 31, 2020, 8:08 a.m.

Im just surprised they found 1000 americans who knew what npr was and could spell it too.

Dec. 31, 2020, 9:41 a.m.

I’ve never been a fan of Americans. Never liked their over the top patriotism and how in your face they are about it. Their lack of knowledge about their neighbours. Always found them to be rude and how a lot of them feel their way is the only way has always bothered me. I may be in the minority but I hope that border stays closed a while. I’ve never  liked the gun culture south of the border either. For profit prisons are fucked up too.Way too many minorities incarcerated for petty crimes, pot for a start.

Dec. 31, 2020, 4:42 p.m.

Posted by: syncro

70% of amerikans are christian and of those only 25% are fundamentalist christians.

https://www.pewforum.org/religious-landscape-study/

Last edited by: tungsten on Dec. 31, 2020, 4:42 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Dec. 31, 2020, 10:30 p.m.

ROUGHLY half seem to be red and halk seem to be blue....weird

Jan. 1, 2021, 10:10 p.m.

So it seems, like me, none of you needed an npr poll to change your minds on americans. So let me ask this, did your view on americans change since trump became president or has your perspective been stable since prior to his presidency?

Jan. 2, 2021, 4:51 a.m.

The American psyche may be  “We’re #1” but don’t let that dissuade you from realizing that a lot of Americans are great people and they’re not all Jersey Shore or Kardashian types.

Jan. 2, 2021, 7:10 a.m.

Felt that way about Americans for as long as I can remember. I understand that there are good folks south of the border, but the ignorant in your face ones spoil it for the others.USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA..... All Donald did was amplify it.

Jan. 2, 2021, 7:47 a.m.

I think what Trump did was Validate being an asshole it no longer necessary to try and be polite  but that probably bleeds narth as well,

i think the god thing and general anti science thing is very troubling but there are flat earthers up here as well

hopefully sooner than later things will swing back the other way

Jan. 2, 2021, 8:01 a.m.

This thread is confirming about how I feel about a lot of Canadians anyway.

Jan. 4, 2021, 3:47 a.m.

Posted by: tungsten

70% of amerikans are christian and of those only 25% are fundamentalist christians.

But the Pilgrim Fathers had quite an impact on the foundation of US culture, as did this whole New Jerusalem thing, not to mention the American Renaisance - add to this cultural and religious cocktail a bit of Montoe doctrine and political chauvinism, voila. 

×××

I remember quite clearly when I studied in Ireland that most of the students from the US were quite sure that Bosch and Siemens were US companies, and us European students had many a talk/argument about global and foreign politics. 

Some were open and thoughtful, with the majority this seemed to not be the case. 

And I was told similar things by students of mine who were part of an exchange program two years ago, quite a lot of WTF moments.

Jan. 4, 2021, 11:59 a.m.

I work with a lot of Americans and they all hate Trump so I mainly feel bad for them, but they all need to stop with their BS mythology.  Just giving a lot of these myths airtime keeps the worst of America alive.

If they just understood that;

America isn't the greatest country in the world, or a model of democracy
People in America are not actually very free
POTUS is the POTUS, not the leader of the free world
The founding fathers were just a group of men with ideas formed in the enlightenment and were revolutionary AT THE TIME.  They are not Jesus's cousins.
Americans from "the heartland" are not fucking heroes for farming or coal mining
The constitution is a pretty shitty document and not very well suited for it's purpose.  It is vague and was written by slave owners with ulterior motives.
Guns can't protect any of them from war or tyranny
When people visit from other wealthy nations, they see aging and crumbling infrastructure and are generally not impressed.

Jan. 4, 2021, 12:32 p.m.

Posted by: Mic

Posted by: tungsten

But the Pilgrim Fathers had quite an impact on the foundation of US culture, as did this whole New Jerusalem thing, not to mention the American Renaisance - add to this cultural and religious cocktail a bit of Montoe doctrine and political chauvinism, voila. 

×××

I remember quite clearly when I studied in Ireland that most of the students from the US were quite sure that Bosch and Siemens were US companies, and us European students had many a talk/argument about global and foreign politics. 

Some were open and thoughtful, with the majority this seemed to not be the case. 

And I was told similar things by students of mine who were part of an exchange program two years ago, quite a lot of WTF moments.

Oh sure, there's no question that many amerikans, especially those who don't or haven't traveled extensively, are quite insular in their worldview.

Of note, evangelicals have been hemorrhaging membership over the last decade.