Do you Walmart?

Nov. 24, 2014, 9:59 a.m.

the head assitant is usually fairly useful or they would not have got to that position, the rest of them I didn't find much use for, I never had to deal with a store manager cuz the assitants did it, wally world contracts out their help desk so you were not really dealing with the corp, the loss prevention guy was kinda cool and he always had somebody out back in the cage waitn for the big white taxi

Nov. 24, 2014, 1:01 p.m.

only thing i buy at walmart is oil and filters . . . cheap oil is cheap oil . last time i was there i got 2 x 5 litres of higher quality 5w40 for less than ten bucks each .

at the checkout that set off some red flag the store manager got alerted to , but when i pointed out the rack , signs and bar codes , they had to honor the deal .

i pity the folks who have to work there , and that food donation box for the peeps who work there is a pretty sad commentary .

i have slept in their parking lots a time or two .

Nov. 24, 2014, 3:51 p.m.

Admittedly I do go to Walmart occasionally, but I always feel dirty afterwards.

Nov. 24, 2014, 7:09 p.m.

I walked in there [HTML_REMOVED]2 yrs ago and didn't see anything to buy except they had good prices on large house plants for my fern bar

just take a shower afterwards and yer golden

Nov. 24, 2014, 7:32 p.m.

only thing i buy at walmart is oil and filters . . . cheap oil is cheap oil . last time i was there i got 2 x 5 litres of higher quality 5w40 for less than ten bucks each .

at the checkout that set off some red flag the store manager got alerted to , but when i pointed out the rack , signs and bar codes , they had to honor the deal .

i pity the folks who have to work there , and that food donation box for the peeps who work there is a pretty sad commentary .

i have slept in their parking lots a time or two .

Fwiw,the donation box was put out by "associates" to help out a fellow "associate" who was on an extended LOA (for what we don't know). Solid move by the worker bees to help out a friend.

Also, fwiw,how many shits does the WB mother ship give about lifties,rental techs,fry cooks or bussers?

Prolly the same or less than wallyworld,but less cool to bitch about.

Pastor of Muppets

Nov. 24, 2014, 7:46 p.m.

thanks for the backstory , did not know that .

and ya know the corp does lay on some cheap / free meals for employees when times are tight . . . shitty conditions that don't allow for full opening and they can't schedule everyone for work .

same deal : corporate identity versus the actual people who work in the trenches . . . pretty good people .

Nov. 24, 2014, 10:16 p.m.

Fwiw,the donation box was put out by "associates" to help out a fellow "associate" who was on an extended LOA (for what we don't know). Solid move by the worker bees to help out a friend.

Also, fwiw,how many shits does the WB mother ship give about lifties,rental techs,fry cooks or bussers?

Prolly the same or less than wallyworld,but less cool to bitch about.

Annual walmart bonus: Fuck all

Annual WB bonus: Seasons Pass to one of the best mountains on the planet; cheap accommodations; above minimum wage pay…

one of these things is not like the other.

Nov. 25, 2014, 5:26 a.m.

Annual WB bonus: Seasons Pass to one of the best mountains on the planet; cheap accommodations; above minimum wage pay…

….and none of these things cost WB a dime (well printing the pass costs about 25 cents)

My point was that in the grand scheme of things,Wally aint soooo bad. They're entry level low skill jobs….jobs that in my day were for bored housewives and afterschool teenagers.

In vilifying wally, what are we suggesting?

Should wallyworld be some kind of big benevolent corporation that provides for the low skilled,but need well paying jobs?

Pastor of Muppets

Nov. 25, 2014, 6:40 a.m.

In vilifying wally, what are we suggesting?

They are a-holes?

Should wallyworld be some kind of big benevolent corporation that provides for the low skilled,but need well paying jobs?

Yeah, Walmart has no choice in the matter and is "just trying to survive"

(BTW no Counterpunch links below, all Capitalist bonafides - Forbes, Motley Fool, Bloomberg):

Costco vs. Wal-Mart: Higher Wages Mean Superior Returns for Investors

Walmart Pays Workers Poorly And Sinks While Costco Pays Workers Well And Sails-Proof That You Get What You Pay For

Customers Flee Wal-Mart Empty Shelves for Target, Costco

Cool. What's the back story to this other one in Canton, Ohio - apparently an annual occurrence at this store:

Do you hold Thanksgiving food drives for your co-workers?

Nov. 25, 2014, 9 a.m.

all across america walmart has come in and fucked up the economy of the small town, they have the size and clout to do so, they can also leave any time they want after they have made the mess

localy 8 yrs ago there were 3 proposals basicly to suck the life out of the DT by doubling the retail space in town by building a mall out of town which never really went anywhere probably cuz nobody (Walmart) would put their money where their mouth was

Note there were no hippies with even 1 anti walmart placard,by comparison there was one protester when Canuck tire came to town

But Walmart nation likes to whine about it on their iphones about it cuz … its easy

Smithers has been called "a difference of opinion surrounded by mountains"

Nov. 25, 2014, 9:14 a.m.

all across america walmart has come in and fucked up the economy of the small town, they have the size and clout to do so, they can also leave any time they want after they have made the mess

localy 8 yrs ago there were 3 proposals basicly to suck the life out of the DT by doubling the retail space in town by building a mall out of town which never really went anywhere probably cuz nobody (Walmart) would put their money where their mouth was

Note there were no hippies with even 1 anti walmart placard,by comparison there was one protester when Canuck tire came to town

But Walmart nation likes to whine about it on their iphones about it cuz … its easy

Smithers has been called "a difference of opinion surrounded by mountains"

I get what you all are saying,im just illustrating talking points here. There is a larger problem at play here,which is the effect large corps have on local economies,wether it's big box stores or the exporting of jobs and the demise of local industries/workplaces.

In our case,xxx,options would be nice to have for family shopping. I can't do all my kids clothes shopping at Rays and that apple store in overpriced garbage. The local service area of over 20,000 people was well served by Zellers. Something of that ilk would be nice to have again. Boston pizza is back,how are the other restaurants doing?

Pastor of Muppets

Nov. 25, 2014, 10:17 a.m.

I agree with you family shopping would be nice unfortunately families fall thru the cracks of the present day retail environment in this size of town and business is not picking up the ball the expectation that local government will is naive

Okay, so I was curious and looked up the fb group and read some of the posts. Those are some seriously whacked, stoopid people.

so apparently when you parrot a bunch of stuff that isn't smart or even true you lose some cred

Out side of listening to the 1500 people who want a walmart do you actualy know what the mayors or councils take is on retail or BB or walamrt, I think you would be suprised, they are for family shopping but they would rather not see the life sucked out of downtown

Nov. 25, 2014, 11:41 p.m.

They're entry level low skill jobs….jobs that in my day were for bored housewives and afterschool teenagers.

Ain't your day anymore, pal. In the new American economy these are the jobs family breadwinners do or their families starve.
In the case of Walmart "associates", their families just stay hungry.

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Nov. 26, 2014, 5:23 a.m.

I get what you all are saying,im just illustrating talking points here. There is a larger problem at play here,which is the effect large corps have on local economies,wether it's big box stores or the exporting of jobs and the demise of local industries/workplaces.
?

Ain't your day anymore, pal. In the new American economy these are the jobs family breadwinners do or their families starve.
In the case of Walmart "associates", their families just stay hungry.

….kinda what I said….wally jobs arent and shouldnt be career jobs. Where have all the good jobs gone?

Pastor of Muppets

Nov. 26, 2014, 6:45 a.m.

….kinda what I said….wally jobs arent and shouldnt be career jobs. Where have all the good jobs gone?

They've been ripped out of the downtown cores of thousands of small towns by one or two corporations who convinced the residents that they needed to save 20 cents on a pair of long johns.

Stop shopping at that shit hole and eventually they'll be back.