Do you Walmart?

Nov. 22, 2014, 8:27 p.m.

I have 3 kids

Strangely as my daughter got older the shopping at Walmart has decreased.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Nov. 22, 2014, 9:02 p.m.

I grew up in a small town that didn't get Wal-Mart until I moved away. Growing up, there were small businesses on main street that sustained the local and regional population.

Steadman's V+S had inexpensive furniture that could be ordered from a number of manufacturers, so people got variety. They also had childrens toys and games, as well as some clothes and work wear.

Switzers was the drug store, until Shoppers moved in, then they coexisted.

There was a women's wear store and a mens wear store, as well as a couple stores aimed at teenagers.

Two hardware stores, a tack shop and western wear store, a cafe and a dedicated furniture store rounded it out. The radio station, post office, town office, a bowling alley, a hotel, a pub and a grocery store took up the rest of the street.

Those stores all allowed a reasonable middle class living for the owners (and their parents, most of whom started them). They also paid a living wage to their 1 or 2 employees each.

Now those people have put on weight, work part time at Wal-Mart for inconceivably low wages - a store they lobbied the town council to allow in for lower priced goods. The people no longer have a choice about where they can shop locally for a number of items… it's Walmart or a 2.5 hour drive to the nearest major center.

Fuck that corporation. I understand the capitalistic nature of it, but I'll never shop there because I don't support business practices that are anti-competitive. That, and they destroyed my quaint hometown… and many of the people there don't seem to understand how or why they were more wealthy without it.

Smithers STILL has that pre big box thing going on, what is an extremely vibrant DT that any other town in NA would kill for…we got all that shit, the Walmart/BB stores have not killed off the down town with mutiple strip malls.

I think what happened is the local retail market was strong enough to keep going long enough until the retail market changed very rapidly to the point that a 5000 population doesn't show on their radar and its not worth a BB store's time to come here.

BUT there is a huge FB group of people who figure they are ENTITLED to a walmart and the town must get them one, of course that is not how this works BUT we are dealing with walmart nation eh?

Nov. 22, 2014, 9:13 p.m.

Nope. Not ever.

Nov. 22, 2014, 11:08 p.m.

BUT there is a huge FB group of people who figure they are ENTITLED to a walmart and the town must get them one, of course that is not how this works BUT we are dealing with walmart nation eh?

Okay, so I was curious and looked up the fb group and read some of the posts. Those are some seriously whacked, stoopid people.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

Nov. 23, 2014, 9:15 a.m.

How so, in expectations, sense of entitlement, no sense of how the world works, poor taste ?

TB is gona be back in cel range later tonight … you take over

Nov. 23, 2014, 11:13 a.m.

How so, in expectations, sense of entitlement, no sense of how the world works, poor taste ?

TB is gona be back in cel range later tonight … you take over

Stopped caring…ankle deep laps in progress.

Pastor of Muppets

Nov. 23, 2014, 11:45 a.m.

Stopped caring…ankle deep laps in progress.

I bet you didn't buy your skis at Walmart cause if you did they'd be broken already.

"May a commune of gay, Marxist Muslim illegal immigrants use your tax dollars to open a drive-thru abortion clinic in your church."

Nov. 23, 2014, 8:24 p.m.

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Nov. 23, 2014, 8:34 p.m.

I just bought 2 bottles of pop, bag of Dorito's, and 5W30 from Walmart just to piss of Tungsten.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

Nov. 23, 2014, 9:24 p.m.

I try not to. The wife does.

Nov. 23, 2014, 9:29 p.m.

$19USD for a big jug of rum had me visiting the Walmart in Mexico a few times while I was there.

Nov. 23, 2014, 10:54 p.m.

I bet you didn't buy your skis at Walmart cause if you did they'd be broken already.

No,but I bought my longjohns there and they're super comfy.

Pastor of Muppets

Nov. 23, 2014, 11:09 p.m.

No,but I bought my longjohns there and they're super comfy.

Bet they start falling apart after a few washes.

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

Nov. 23, 2014, 11:25 p.m.

Only bought work pants which have out lasted everything including my old Dickies (w/ cell pocket), thats surprising as hell imo. Also bought my automotive safety hammer there for about $9.7-something, which is an auto glass breaker and seat belt cutter. And maybe one quart of 5w30 because I needed some.

Generally, I avoid it like the plague. Sometimes though, the gf and I do people watch if ones attached to a mall.

protect tom mcdonald at all costs

Nov. 23, 2014, 11:26 p.m.

So how does everyone feel about the people who choose to work there?

protect tom mcdonald at all costs