Do you support the idea to 'defund the police'?

June 11, 2020, 12:26 p.m.

Wise words from Spike Lee

"We've got to be careful what we say because one or two wrong words, they'll twist that thing around and the narratives change," the filmmaker warned.

June 11, 2020, 2:08 p.m.

Posted by: ReductiMat

Remember when a certain provincial administration shut down a mental health facility to give the land to development?

Pepperedige Farm fucking remembers.

Now cops have to deal with the fallout.

Defund it and spend the money wisely to fix the issue.

You agree with me, right Shogun?

I might agree to an extent and it's not just the police who have to deal with the fallout. Imagine a cashier in a liquor store with no security as a former patient absolutely tweaks out!? Probably just because they couldnt decide to get bourbon or whiskey. Fucked up first world problems for both employee and customer.

We should also recognize some difference(s) between whats currently happening in the US vs what does happen here in Canada. Using the Seattle autonomous zone as an example, one might argue thats the very reason why you need a "well equipped police force" as there's very few outcomes available from that autonomous zone - one being if it continue's unabated, it'll encourage more zones to pop up in afflicted area's across the USA. Do you agree with me that doesnt help the current situation in the US right now and overall is bad for all concerned parties (consider Canada concerned just as a neighbor)?

Whereas Canadian's are peacefully gathering for now and we can probably debate the other parts of the police force's in the police brutality thread. Lets say locally, I dont agree with defunding the VPD because why would we?

June 11, 2020, 2:10 p.m.

Posted by: chupacabra

Wise words from Spike Lee

"We've got to be careful what we say because one or two wrong words, they'll twist that thing around and the narratives change," the filmmaker warned.

Arent certain movement's twisting history and trying to change the narrative right effin now?

June 11, 2020, 2:13 p.m.

With Planned Parenthood they just want it gone so they can stop women from getting abortions.  They don't want to put funding into something else to help women.  Those anti-abortion crusaders think the church is the social safety net.

Cool story. Have you read or watched the vid's of what PP does with the ... remains? I havent watched anything or actively searched for it but it's not wasted (says the internet).

June 11, 2020, 7:13 p.m.

You're, at best, misguided.

June 19, 2020, 12:40 p.m.

Perspective from a police chief who’s done this (although doesn’t quite like the term):

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/camden-police-chief-old-new-department/2020/06/18/37407536-b0b8-11ea-856d-5054296735e5_story.html

June 19, 2020, 2:12 p.m.

Posted by: tashi

Perspective from a police chief who’s done this (although doesn’t quite like the term):

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/camden-police-chief-old-new-department/2020/06/18/37407536-b0b8-11ea-856d-5054296735e5_story.html

This is good reading. Thanks Tashi. The term is terrible. The left is so bad at messaging. Defund already has powerful meaning down in the US too since that is what the Republicans are always trying to do to Planned Parenthood or other social services, and they literally mean defund.

This is behind a paywall but Camden keeps coming up as a success story. I added a few clips but you can read it all in Incognito mode on Chrome. This is what defund means Shogun.

So we started from scratch. We let every city police officer go and created a new department with new rules in 2013. By agreement with Camden County, the city ceased to fund its department and instead paid the county to police the city of Camden. We required all officers to apply as new hires (most officers from the old force got jobs, but not all) and committed to a new relationship between Camden’s police and its citizens, around 95 percent of whom are minorities.
It worked. At the end of 2019, homicides in Camden were down 63 percent, and total crime is the lowest it has been in decades. Fewer mothers are burying children, and flagrant drug crime is radically reduced.

and

There’s a raging debate right now about “defunding” the police, but it’s missing the point. Communities need police. What they don’t need is a cop with a warrior’s psyche and an occupier’s mentality. Camden’s transformation wasn’t about getting rid of police or reducing their authority. It was about increasing our legitimacy by convincing citizens that we understood our role. We didn’t reinvent policing so much as reset it to what it always should have been.
Policing works in a democratic society only when it has the consent of the people. The old Camden city police department had forgotten that. Many departments in this country have long assumed that their legitimacy is automatic and that the problem is with the public, not us. But citizens’ disdain can change only if we change first.

Last edited by: chupacabra on June 19, 2020, 2:13 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
June 20, 2020, 11:32 a.m.

You need to look a bit deeper than just the phrase “Defund the police”.   

Most of the defund movement would leave police in place to address the sorts of problems you’re describing.

June 20, 2020, 2:15 p.m.

Posted by: tungsten

You're, at best, misguided.

quoted for irony

June 21, 2020, 1:56 p.m.

right after defunding the police we need to change  the name of anything named after bad people

which would be half the signs in vancover

June 22, 2020, 9:08 a.m.

Posted by: JBV

defund them?  fuck that, fund more of them. all those douche bags ripping around Comox between 9-12 every warm night in their turbo diesel trucks with modded exhausts, fucking assholes, and the RCMP is down in Courtenay chasing around the petty thieves and meth heads.  MORE COPS NOW.  or let me take pot shots at the trucks with my .22 from behind my massive cedar hedges and see if that'll slow the meatheads down.

One of the defunding suggestions that I have heard is to get the police out of the traffic law enforcement game.  This makes sense to me.

June 22, 2020, 8:24 p.m.

Posted by: JBV

defund them?  fuck that, fund more of them. all those douche bags ripping around Comox between 9-12 every warm night in their turbo diesel trucks with modded exhausts, fucking assholes, and the RCMP is down in Courtenay chasing around the petty thieves and meth heads.  MORE COPS NOW.  or let me take pot shots at the trucks with my .22 from behind my massive cedar hedges and see if that'll slow the meatheads down.

One of the defunding suggestions that I have heard is to get the police out of the traffic law enforcement game.  This makes sense to me.

I'd be ok w/that as long as all arterials/intersections/transit lanes/bus stops/high/freeways were camera monitored 24/7 w/hefty fines levied for infractions.

June 22, 2020, 10:49 p.m.

They'd also have to put full time monitors in all the cabs and busses as they are the worst drivers.

June 22, 2020, 11:27 p.m.

Posted by: switch

They'd also have to put full time monitors in all the cabs and busses as they are the worst drivers.

You're half right. Is that you?

Last edited by: tungsten on June 22, 2020, 11:28 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
June 23, 2020, 12:18 a.m.

No, that's a bus driver or taxi driver.