Do you support the idea to 'defund the police'?

June 7, 2020, 1:58 p.m.

What could possibly go wrong..

protect tom mcdonald at all costs

June 7, 2020, 4:36 p.m.

https://www.commondreams.org/news/2020/06/07/efforts-incremental-reform-have-failed-minneapolis-city-council-members-declare

June 8, 2020, 8:46 a.m.

Posted by: aShogunNamedMarcus

You mean, more wrong than what's already happened?

Well, I suppose one thing that could go wrong is that conservative white males could completely misinterpret what the movement to defund means, because it flies in the face of their "might is right" ideology.

June 8, 2020, 3:44 p.m.

Posted by: KenN

You mean, more wrong than what's already happened?

Well, I suppose one thing that could go wrong is that conservative white males could completely misinterpret what the movement to defund means, because it flies in the face of their "might is right" ideology.

Should I assume you're a white male that completely misinterpreted this thread due to inherit white guilt? I wont ask why you defaulted to white males when this is about certain cities or districts in the US with no police force right now and basically what will amount to a power or authority vaccuum. The idea itself seem's to be a pieced together haphazard hail mary from whatever or whoever organized the list of demands and some .Gov bit on this one. No one's blaming the criminals for being criminals - its the system, its the white man and its the white mans system right?

There's two stages - the interim org and the long term org. Who or what will step up in the interim?  Will the interim be recognized by all citizens or will it cause more problems? What will the long term solution look like? Will it be NATO or UN forces on American soil? That wont fly will it?

So I'll ask all y'all again, what could possibly go wrong...?

June 8, 2020, 5:35 p.m.

Your thread, you go first. What does defund mean to you?

June 9, 2020, 8:20 a.m.

better policing might be better, defunding police will happen right after oil gets banned

June 9, 2020, 9:04 a.m.

I believe that "defund" means to move money from policing to community services like mental health care.  It means less money, not no money.  It doesn't mean closing the police departments.  It means a more preventative approach to crime.  The fact that you even mentioned NATO can only mean that you are getting information from one of your kooky conspiracy sources and have an opinion based on an alt-right fantasy that you are not sharing with us.  What is Qanon's take?

June 9, 2020, 9:39 a.m.

Yes

June 10, 2020, 1:30 p.m.

Posted by: FLATCH

Same type of defunding when someone's says defund Planned Parenthood? No more tax payer funded money? No more federal equipment hand outs, aka non militaried police. In other words, basically the UK style of a Bobby? Mind you, thats not really working out for them right now either.

June 10, 2020, 5:23 p.m.

Aside from the equipment, I don’t think that’s what’s being suggested by anyone serious.

June 10, 2020, 6:02 p.m.

Same type of defunding when someone's says defund Planned Parenthood? No more tax payer funded money? No more federal equipment hand outs, aka non militaried police. In other words, basically the UK style of a Bobby? Mind you, thats not really working out for them right now either.

In the uk Bobbies are just beat cops I think, they still have toys. Beat cops are something I’d like to see more of here.

Every police force is tax payer funded, no?

Defunding planned parenthood won’t kill anybody. Right?

As far as defunding goes I don’t think so. Much more intense scrutiny on how and where they spend money perhaps. The vetting of recruits needs to be greatly improved. Bad cops need to be dealt with a much heavier hand. Even a whiff of bias should be heavily scrutinized. It shouldn’t be left to the police to police themselves.

Last edited by: FLATCH on June 10, 2020, 6:04 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
June 10, 2020, 7:49 p.m.

In the uk Bobbies are just beat cops I think, they still have toys. Beat cops are something I’d like to see more of here.

As far as defunding goes I don’t think so. Much more intense scrutiny on how and where they spend money perhaps. The vetting of recruits needs to be greatly improved. Bad cops need to be dealt with a much heavier hand. Even a whiff of bias should be heavily scrutinized. It shouldn’t be left to the police to police themselves.

Well part of me wants to blame (some of) the citizenship for basically requiring these methods to be available to the police. No one really wants to talk about that right now but I do agree, more beat cops or community style peace officer's would be good. As for a defunded Planned Parenthood, well.. an estimated 50 million abortions have been performed in the USA since '73 - safe to say anyone of those could've been the next Hannibal or Billy Chermirir but thats a ridiculous argument as usual.

June 11, 2020, 12:38 a.m.

Remember when a certain provincial administration shut down a mental health facility to give the land to development?

Pepperedige Farm fucking remembers.

Now cops have to deal with the fallout.

Defund it and spend the money wisely to fix the issue.

You agree with me, right Shogun?

June 11, 2020, 9:13 a.m.

For the hard of thinking ....

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

June 11, 2020, 10:24 a.m.

Well part of me wants to blame (some of) the citizenship for basically requiring these methods to be available to the police. No one really wants to talk about that right now but I do agree, more beat cops or community style peace officer's would be good. As for a defunded Planned Parenthood, well.. an estimated 50 million abortions have been performed in the USA since '73 - safe to say anyone of those could've been the next Hannibal or Billy Chermirir but thats a ridiculous argument as usual.

With Planned Parenthood they just want it gone so they can stop women from getting abortions.  They don't want to put funding into something else to help women.  Those anti-abortion crusaders think the church is the social safety net.