Do you support or agree with the nationwide Protests?

Feb. 26, 2020, 2:27 p.m.

Posted by: aShogunNamedMarcus

Posted by: XXX_er
The Wetsueten are the people who actualy won the court case over these lands, but they are still getting fucked over , so how much does it cost ? The question might be how much more does it need to cost so things get changed ?

Stupid asshole question here: What did they win in the court case and what court case?

They won Delgamuukw v. British Columbia,

https://scc-csc.lexum.com/scc-csc/scc-csc/en/item/1569/index.d

Tsilcotin Nation vs British Columbia is also important & relevant

https://scc-csc.lexum.com/scc-csc/scc-csc/en/item/14246/index.do

If you really have absolutely no idea then here are Coles notes cuz I doubt you want to read the entire decisions

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/delgamuukw-vs-british-columbia-20-years-rights-titles-1.4440703

So not only is Delgammuukw an important precedent in land claims law this is where Delgamuukw took place,

somewhere back in this thread I wrote about the Royal proclaimation of 1763, it was susposed to run Canada after the English took it from the french and the FN were part of it but FF to 1984 the gov sez they when BC became part of Canada the FN lost their rights, Delgamuukw sez in BC the FN never gave up their lands,

they have their own system of gov which was recognised in Delgamuukw so the herdeitary chiefs run the 22000kms of territory and the elected band councils only run the res, the band councils were imposed under the indian act to control the FN

The hereditary Chiefs would not deal with CGL on the pipeline so they made a deal with the band councils who have no authority to do so

Christy Clarke gave the green light, people I know in gov tell me the gov knew, also the NDP MLA for the bulkley stikine told the leg what was up back then

Horgan has chose to play along, the courts grant an injunction in favor of CGL the RCMP have thrown the Wetsueten off their lands twice

Which has resulted in the Blockades and protests from bands all over Canada which are not going away any time soon, note there are 1 million FN in canada BTW and then you got who knows how many enviro folks jumping on the bandwagon

I heard the rail blockade was costing CN 1 million a day

so its at least costing millions

it was nice and quiet that week the trains were off

there is so much activity going on I can't see how the wetsueten can stop the project ... its a big fucking mess

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/wetsuweten-whos-who-guide-1.5471898

the playa's ^^ n

Last edited by: XXX_er on Feb. 26, 2020, 4:59 p.m., edited 6 times in total.
Feb. 26, 2020, 6:56 p.m.

Posted by: KenN

Has any one in the media quantified the cost of this blockade yet?

Dunno.

Has anyone in the media quantified the cost of taking children from their parents and forcing them into residential schools?

Has anyone in the media quantified the cost of forcing indigenous peoples to live in substandard housing, breathing mold spores that affect their health?

Has anyone in the media quantified the cost of being forced to eat fish caught from mercury-polluted waters in order to survive?

Has anyone in the media quantified the cost of having no clean drinking water for decades at over 100 reserves?

Instead of asking "how much it costs us", maybe start asking why it's happening, why nothing has been done for so long, and why the land protectors have come to the conclusion that nothing will be done going forward without large scale disruption.

Well lets see, perhaps you should ask yourself if anyone in the Media cares about those STILL? Old info doesnt generate clicks or enough to make the money machine go around.

I was thinking what a shutdown of Broadway Cambie cost the City of Vancouver for that day. How many surgery's were cancelled or post poned being an arterial route by VGH. Did petty theft and property crime increase during that protest day because of the 40+ VPD required to monitor the unsanctioned event?

I dont keep track of native affairs for a few reasons. One is its a completely lopsided moral argument. Another is I had sweet fuck all to do it with, despite what you or Tungsten might want to say. Another being, you cant reason with the majority of the arguments - its like reparations.. Do they want their own Nisga Treaty too? Do they not get along with other bands?

Wow, so more than just hockey. Who knew?

Feb. 26, 2020, 7:12 p.m.

So how do we feel about those “protesters” trying to set a loaded freight train on fire. Seems reasonable.

I do like that some of the usual suspects are getting outed for their habitual protesting. Basically shit disturbing anarchists who protest anything and everything under the sun and seem to be enjoying their time in the spotlight. How do you think FN really feel about their protest being hijacked for others political gain.

Feb. 26, 2020, 8:18 p.m.

Posted by: FLATCH

So how do we feel about those “protesters” trying to set a loaded freight train on fire. Seems reasonable.

I do like that some of the usual suspects are getting outed for their habitual protesting. Basically shit disturbing anarchists who protest anything and everything under the sun and seem to be enjoying their time in the spotlight. How do you think FN really feel about their protest being hijacked for others political gain.

Don't make the mistake of ignoring a serious issue simply because some nitwits have jumped on board the protest train.

Feb. 26, 2020, 8:29 p.m.

here's a great history lesson to help explain why we've gotten to this point

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ob8FxjYbksJICPfIB2j0CLxNvrBLGusQ/view?fbclid=IwAR2ksfU4uLGd1lwMV-GMoEgb8ujhKHAqU5S-WkhJSVOv05cAdTsCa_mP_eU

Feb. 27, 2020, 9:58 a.m.

Posted by: syncro

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ob8FxjYbksJICPfIB2j0CLxNvrBLGusQ/view?fbclid=IwAR2ksfU4uLGd1lwMV-GMoEgb8ujhKHAqU5S-WkhJSVOv05cAdTsCa_mP_eU

This is the history that is usually shared, but it should include how and why so many non-natives came to Canada and not just their relation to the British and Canadian governments.  This is why I object to being called a settler.  It is a way of framing the narrative that Canadian history is that of white people landing on the shores and looking at all the resources for the taking when that is not the reality for most non-native Canadian family histories.  This history that most of us know, the one in this link above, is the personal gut-wrenching history of the first nations vs the cold political apparatus of the government and racism.  It doesn't say anything of the stories of the people fleeing famine, or the many reasons that someone would leave their family and everything they have ever known to have a better life in a place they have never been and will likely never return from.  These are people that were as connected to the lands they came from as the native people that lived here but were so desperate they left it all.  This is not a story that can be reversed, so we need to decide together what the future looks like, and if the attitude of the courts is that the millions of non-native residents are just people knocking on the door it will not work.

This is what is going on in the small town I grew up in.  https://www.coastreporter.net/opinion/editorial/editorial-madeira-park-is-more-than-just-a-pretty-name-1.24075707  This is how unrest is created by a government more interested in looking progressive than doing their job for the people that elected them.  Madeira Park is a community formed over 100 years ago, not a mountain or an island, and as you can see the history is complicated.  This comes after a dock plan that was very unpopular and a number of longhouses were built in local parks as territory flags.  In some cases, landowners that only have water access to their properties are being told they must remove their docks.  Most of it happened without consulting the community.  This can't be the answer.  If Pender Harbour wasn't a tiny town this would be much bigger news.  Imagine if the Ironworkers Bridge had to come down because it was over a traditional oyster ground.  

If we can't agree on a plan that puts us on equal ground in the future we are screwed.

Feb. 27, 2020, 11:18 a.m.

maybe we could call you second nations ?

Feb. 27, 2020, 11:28 a.m.

Posted by: syncro

thats ^^  pretty much it, I should have just waited and saved some keyboard time 

Today I seen 6 cops who arent from here stuffing their faces at the breakfast place enforcing bogus court injunctions is a hungry  business, you do see the red dresses hanging on highway signs  but nothing unusual for the most part,   you folks see WAY more protesters down there than we do up here

Feb. 27, 2020, 12:32 p.m.

I am OK with that actually.

Feb. 27, 2020, 2:50 p.m.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/wetsuweten-hereditary-chiefs-meeting-with-bc-federal-government-1.5477996

Its hard to believe but looks like they are all gona get togetehr and maybe smoke the peace pipe

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/quebec-downplays-legault-claims-of-ak-47s-in-kahnawake-1.5478167

Quebec premier^^ pisses off the Mohawk, I  wonder what their input might  be on the scalping  ?

I worked in the kitchen at a conference where a hereditary chief was the head chef ,

he said he was serving roast Tatonka so I asked if that was a traditional meal,

he said he got  the name from " Dances with Wolves "

Feb. 27, 2020, 3:55 p.m.

Buffalo sounds good.  I also speak Dances with Wolves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrGPW4O_5Cc

Feb. 27, 2020, 4:36 p.m.

Posted by: chupacabra

This is the history that is usually shared, but it should include how and why so many non-natives came to Canada and not just their relation to the British and Canadian governments.  This is why I object to being called a settler.  It is a way of framing the narrative that Canadian history is that of white people landing on the shores and looking at all the resources for the taking when that is not the reality for most non-native Canadian family histories.  This history that most of us know, the one in this link above, is the personal gut-wrenching history of the first nations vs the cold political apparatus of the government and racism.  It doesn't say anything of the stories of the people fleeing famine, or the many reasons that someone would leave their family and everything they have ever known to have a better life in a place they have never been and will likely never return from.  These are people that were as connected to the lands they came from as the native people that lived here but were so desperate they left it all.  This is not a story that can be reversed, so we need to decide together what the future looks like, and if the attitude of the courts is that the millions of non-native residents are just people knocking on the door it will not work.

This is what is going on in the small town I grew up in.  https://www.coastreporter.net/opinion/editorial/editorial-madeira-park-is-more-than-just-a-pretty-name-1.24075707  This is how unrest is created by a government more interested in looking progressive than doing their job for the people that elected them.  Madeira Park is a community formed over 100 years ago, not a mountain or an island, and as you can see the history is complicated.  This comes after a dock plan that was very unpopular and a number of longhouses were built in local parks as territory flags.  In some cases, landowners that only have water access to their properties are being told they must remove their docks.  Most of it happened without consulting the community.  This can't be the answer.  If Pender Harbour wasn't a tiny town this would be much bigger news.  Imagine if the Ironworkers Bridge had to come down because it was over a traditional oyster ground.  

If we can't agree on a plan that puts us on equal ground in the future we are screwed.

My point is not to discount the contribution of non-Indigenous people towards the building of Canada, but recognize that building came at the expense of the peoples who were here first and it continues to affect them to this day. The predecessors of modern Canada destroyed cultures from coast to coast to coast and you and I are reaping those benefits today. I share the idea that there are some compromises to be made on both sides, but I believe you would have a hard time convincing the majority of Indigenous people that their lives are much better off after colonization than before. 

It's a complicated issue but if you wanted to boil it all down to one word that word is trust. Indigenous people in this country generally do not trust "whitey" and his government and I think it's more than fair to say we haven't given them good reason to. That's not to say there aren't good people out there trying to do good things and rebuild some of that trust, but on a whole we're doing a shitty job. We have to be the ones to make the first move, so when Horgan refused to meet with the herditary chiefs a few weeks ago that sent the age old message that Indigenous people don't matter. Does an action like that build trust or break it? Right now Indigenous people have the upper hand when it comes to rail blockades and they could shut down this country indefinitely if they really wanted to. Our governments need to start off with doing some  grovelling if they're going to get this sorted out.

Feb. 27, 2020, 4:41 p.m.

How about we just become a nation. Cut the bullshit and have a FN referendum on it. See where the majority really stand.

Feb. 27, 2020, 8:56 p.m.

Posted by: FLATCH

I am going to share this as it happened tonight......

I had a friend who is Turtle Clan and lives on Tyendinaga First Nations. Tonight that friendship ended because of what she said.

"The natives u speak of in bc are not really native.. they follow the white government. They are not for the land or the peoplle . "

This is out of the mouth tonight of one person who simply is saying they are less First Nations then we are because you choose a different path. Sorry....I have dealt with similar but different around my daughter. Won't accept it and can't allow any more BS in my life. So tonight I just cut someone out of my life. One can say all the feel good motivational poster or meme shit but in the end it sucks when you have to do it.

I hate people.

Last edited by: Endurimil on Feb. 27, 2020, 8:57 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Feb. 28, 2020, 1:39 a.m.

Posted by: chupacabra

I also speak Dances with Wolves.

Oh please, not that fool Kevin Costner.

cooterpunch sez..... https://www.counterpunch.org/search-results/?cx=000357264939014560440%3Aicshsy4bfu0&ie=UTF-8&q=Dances+with+Wolves.

hahaha..........meh