Do you support or agree with the nationwide Protests?

Feb. 22, 2020, 7:33 p.m.

Posted by: Stuminator

Posted by: tungsten

Posted by: FLATCH

And nobody’s explained to me why so many of them cover their faces. I feel it’s to look threatening, and don’t tell me it’s the cold weather.

C'mon man, teh pigs are using facial recognition tech everone knows that.

This will help. https://www.reflectacles.com/phantom

Pre-ordered! Thanks.........

Feb. 22, 2020, 8:51 p.m.

Tungsten, I think you just set a record by being the most recent poster on 6 threads.

Feb. 23, 2020, 9:12 a.m.

Posted by: Stuminator

Tungsten, I think you just set a record by being the most recent poster on 6 threads.

pfffft, not even close. back in the days of the old board the late night crew sometimes someone would have the whole page of "new posts" lit up with their name.

Feb. 23, 2020, 11:32 a.m.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/coastal-gaslink-pipeline-indigenous-consultation-1.5472128

CGL hasnt done all of it's homework ^^  I gotta wonder how this happened when Horgan has been telling everbuddy this will go ahead period ? I read an artical that was what-if piece saying if the project doesn't perform by getting to certain stages Royal dutch Shell could cancel which might be a good option for them in view of the price for LNG tanking. Northern Gateway was supposed to be a done-deal and it was killed off for good by local opposition in 2014

Feb. 23, 2020, 12:07 p.m.

Posted by: syncro

Posted by: JBV

for real ^^ this happened?  man that's ugly.

All part of the revisionist history courtesy movies and tv that Indigenous people did the scalping.

Well.. revise this: Genetically, first nations are related to Asians. We should be careful so China doesnt claim Canada through some pythag bullshit.

Feb. 23, 2020, 12:12 p.m.

Posted by: tungsten

And nobody’s explained to me why so many of them cover their faces. I feel it’s to look threatening, and don’t tell me it’s the cold weather.

C'mon man, teh pigs are using facial recognition tech everone knows that.

C'mon man, every ones using it. Quit trying to be such a rebel.

Feb. 23, 2020, 12:17 p.m.

Posted by: aShogunNamedMarcus

At the Broadway Cambie protest 2+ weeks ago, I had to walk away from some Tonto because he went from saying I'm "spiritually balding", which myself and the VPD close by thought was funny and we grinned/laughed to "thats why we stopped scalping you". Not so funny.

Now, I'm not sure about anyone of you but I had some questions. Such as 'has he ever scalped someone' or 'can you properly scalp someone with shaved head' or 'lets breathalyze this day drunk dumbass and get him off the street'.

After that I was going to ask the many VPD officers standing around how citizens arrests worked and if I could borrow some hand cuffs.

Yes there is nothing peaceful about these blockades I see them as taunting and just waiting for the other side to take the first swing. Then they will say they didn’t start it. And Ken, if someone was holding your family hostage your telling me you would be ok with that. This natural gas project is fiscally good for EVERYONE including First Nations. I also think that besides Canada receiving the fiscal benefits of selling our natural resources to manufacturing countries like China etc, may possibly lower their reliance on coal and oil which I think would be good for all.

I could be wrong here but I think its hiliarious that this post of mine started a 2+ page historical debate about scalping. Pretty sure we have some bots on the site. As for them covering their faces, every blockade I've seen footage of has shown them covering their faces.

Next time there's an Antifa "demonstration", more people should ask why are they allowed to do the same.

So about that one call?

Feb. 23, 2020, 12:37 p.m.

Has any one in the media quantified the cost of this blockade yet?

Feb. 23, 2020, 2:09 p.m.

At the Broadway Cambie protest 2+ weeks ago, I had to walk away from some Tonto because he went from saying I'm "spiritually balding", which myself and the VPD close by thought was funny and we grinned/laughed to "thats why we stopped scalping you". Not so funny.

Now, I'm not sure about anyone of you but I had some questions. Such as 'has he ever scalped someone' or 'can you properly scalp someone with shaved head' or 'lets breathalyze this day drunk dumbass and get him off the street'.

After that I was going to ask the many VPD officers standing around how citizens arrests worked and if I could borrow some hand cuffs.

Yes there is nothing peaceful about these blockades I see them as taunting and just waiting for the other side to take the first swing. Then they will say they didn’t start it. And Ken, if someone was holding your family hostage your telling me you would be ok with that. This natural gas project is fiscally good for EVERYONE including First Nations. I also think that besides Canada receiving the fiscal benefits of selling our natural resources to manufacturing countries like China etc, may possibly lower their reliance on coal and oil which I think would be good for all.

I could be wrong here but I think its hiliarious that this post of mine started a 2+ page historical debate about scalping. Pretty sure we have some bots on the site. As for them covering their faces, every blockade I've seen footage of has shown them covering their faces.

Next time there's an Antifa "demonstration", more people should ask why are they allowed to do the same.

So about that one call?

everybody is covering faces and they should cuz claiming land or opressing indigenous peoples is serious business so nobody needs to get caught laughing on film

Feb. 25, 2020, 11:38 a.m.

Posted by: KenN

Posted by: chupacabra

Scalping was a practice imported by the European settlers in the Connecticut and Massachusetts colonies, as a way account for paying bounties for killing natives.

Cartier was shown several scalps by natives in what is now Quebec though, so I am not so sure that it wasn't an existing practice within some of the first nations.

There is apparently some evidence that some warring FN tribes practised it long ago (like 1300s) as a trophy of battle, but a bit more spotty about whether it was carried out much later than that. But there is solid evidence of a separate historical record of paying bounties for scalps within the settler communities.

Fair enough, although the Cartier record is also solid evidence of the practice in the early 1500s and it is far from the settler colonies you are talking about.  There are a lot of different first nations across the Americas so it could easily be the case that both are true.

Feb. 26, 2020, 8:45 a.m.

Dunno.

Has anyone in the media quantified the cost of taking children from their parents and forcing them into residential schools?

Has anyone in the media quantified the cost of forcing indigenous peoples to live in substandard housing, breathing mold spores that affect their health?

Has anyone in the media quantified the cost of being forced to eat fish caught from mercury-polluted waters in order to survive?

Has anyone in the media quantified the cost of having no clean drinking water for decades at over 100 reserves?

Instead of asking "how much it costs us", maybe start asking why it's happening, why nothing has been done for so long, and why the land protectors have come to the conclusion that nothing will be done going forward without large scale disruption.

Last edited by: KenN on Feb. 26, 2020, 8:46 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Feb. 26, 2020, 12:15 p.m.

"Shared Histories, Witsuwit'en-Settler Relations in Smithers, British Columbia, 1913-1973 " is a book I'm trying to power thru written by Tyler McCreary an academic who grew up here, its a bit dry but solidly researched and it paints a dismal picture of the settler's atempts to exclude the FN, so the local FN experianced a lot of discrimination, as late as the 60's the only restaurant in town where an FN could get service was a Canadian Chinese food restaurant the North Star, that may sound like the southern USA but that was northern BC

The Wetsueten are the people who actualy won the court case over these lands, but they are still getting fucked over , so how much does it cost ? The question might be how much more does it need to cost so things get changed ?

Feb. 26, 2020, 1:24 p.m.

Dunno.

Has anyone in the media quantified the cost of taking children from their parents and forcing them into residential schools?

Has anyone in the media quantified the cost of forcing indigenous peoples to live in substandard housing, breathing mold spores that affect their health?

Has anyone in the media quantified the cost of being forced to eat fish caught from mercury-polluted waters in order to survive?

Has anyone in the media quantified the cost of having no clean drinking water for decades at over 100 reserves?

Instead of asking "how much it costs us", maybe start asking why it's happening, why nothing has been done for so long, and why the land protectors have come to the conclusion that nothing will be done going forward without large scale disruption.

Well lets see, perhaps you should ask yourself if anyone in the Media cares about those STILL? Old info doesnt generate clicks or enough to make the money machine go around.

I was thinking what a shutdown of Broadway Cambie cost the City of Vancouver for that day. How many surgery's were cancelled or post poned being an arterial route by VGH. Did petty theft and property crime increase during that protest day because of the 40+ VPD required to monitor the unsanctioned event?

I dont keep track of native affairs for a few reasons. One is its a completely lopsided moral argument. Another is I had sweet fuck all to do it with, despite what you or Tungsten might want to say. Another being, you cant reason with the majority of the arguments - its like reparations.. Do they want their own Nisga Treaty too? Do they not get along with other bands?

Feb. 26, 2020, 1:27 p.m.

Posted by: XXX_er
The Wetsueten are the people who actualy won the court case over these lands, but they are still getting fucked over , so how much does it cost ? The question might be how much more does it need to cost so things get changed ?

Stupid asshole question here: What did they win in the court case and what court case?

Feb. 26, 2020, 1:33 p.m.

Posted by: chupacabra
Fair enough, although the Cartier record is also solid evidence of the practice in the early 1500s and it is far from the settler colonies you are talking about.  There are a lot of different first nations across the Americas so it could easily be the case that both are true.

Now moving past the the origins of scalping - why would the FN's stop this practice?