Do you support or agree with the nationwide Protests?

Feb. 19, 2020, 7:35 p.m.

Protests are doing nothing to resolve an argument amongst the leaders who want to work it out amongst themselves.  Let them do so and find their new way forward

https://aptnnews.ca/2020/02/14/indigenous-rights/?fbclid=IwAR1pOhXyIQ71WAM62ZYeH88hojLYiRvuGbcfsratmLUlG2gv2d8FJTJkwJA

And the blockade that supposedly started it is not what it appears. LOL

Feb. 19, 2020, 7:38 p.m.

http://activehistory.ca/2013/10/the-life-and-times-of-the-royal-proclamation-of-1763-in-british-columbia/

the situation is 257 years old , instead of killing off all the FN, King George  III decided that wouldn't be cricket and they were part of the gig  to govern Canada this is really  where it all starts and Delgamuukw didnt come along till 1997

Feb. 19, 2020, 7:43 p.m.

Posted by: XXX_er

http://activehistory.ca/2013/10/the-life-and-times-of-the-royal-proclamation-of-1763-in-british-columbia/

the situation is 257 years old , instead of killing off all the FN, King George  III decided that wouldn't be cricket and they were part of the gig  to govern Canada this is really  where it all starts and Delgamuukw didnt come along till 1997

XXX_er gets a prize from the top shelf

Feb. 19, 2020, 8:19 p.m.

Posted by: syncro

Posted by: Stuminator

The strong have conquered the weak through out time. The colonization of America is just one example.

So you're saying we're no better now than 75 or 750 years ago? What happens if some bigger dude beats the fuck out of you and steals your wallet? Is that simply the strong conquering the weak?

Not saying it's a good or bad thing, just saying that's the way it is. Survival of the fittest.

Feb. 19, 2020, 8:20 p.m.

Not saying it's a good or bad thing, just saying that's the way it is. Survival of the fittest.

So the strong have no reason to be ethical? They get to just take whatever they want?

Feb. 19, 2020, 8:26 p.m.

So the strong have no reason to be ethical? They get to just take whatever they want?

Pretty much. That quite often seems to be the reality of it.

Feb. 19, 2020, 8:27 p.m.

Pretty much. That quite often seems to be the reality of it.

Unfortunately yes, but why advocate for or be okay with that ideal?

Feb. 19, 2020, 11:30 p.m.

XXX_er gets a prize from the top shelf

Wetsueten & Gitxan lands are  right here, there are cops everywhere I can spell or pronounce Delgamuukw and I even know what it means, I've  been thru the unistolten  blockade , I've drank beer with the chief

Feb. 20, 2020, 4:26 a.m.

Posted by: tungsten

Posted by: FLATCH

You can’t compare a project that is economically beneficial to many, including their own, to Putin looking to annex a nation. You’re not down on Commercial are you.

Putin didn't annex a nation. He rescued the several generations of Russian speaking nationals who were the majority in Crimea from the facists installed in Ukraine by the psychotic yanke scum.

I was. Pffffffffffft...........

WOW, you used your words, holy fuk. And not one link.🤭

Last edited by: FLATCH on Feb. 20, 2020, 4:28 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Feb. 20, 2020, 8:33 a.m.

Posted by: FLATCH

You can’t compare a project that is economically beneficial to many, including their own, to Putin looking to annex a nation. You’re not down on Commercial are you.

If I rob your house to feed my family, that's also economically beneficial to many.  Does that make it right?

Feb. 20, 2020, 9:18 a.m.

http://activehistory.ca/2020/02/exposing-the-settler-playbook-responses-to-shutdowncanada-in-historical-context/

"Settlers use a number of strategies to maintain the colonial status quo, including distorting or dismissing the past, doublespeak and deceit, divide-and-conquer politics, paternalism, invoking a singular “rule of law,” and, of course, violence and coercion. Our hope is that by exposing some of the discursive tactics in the settler playbook – and putting them in historical context – we can help settlers to see these “moves to innocence” for what they are. As well, we want to show that settlers can choose how to respond in these moments. Instead of treading the familiar paths of colonial hubris that have led to so much pain and damage, we invite settlers to recognize the limits of our knowledge and experience and to listen to Indigenous elders, youth, scholars, and knowledge keepers. In the case of the Wet’suwet’en hereditary chiefs, their calls are clear: the RCMP must leave their territory and the Coastal GasLink project must pause for nation-to-nation negotiations.

We have heard from the brave people putting their bodies on the line at numerous blockades that they are not there for themselves but for future generations. As Dr. Karla Tait, director of programming for the Unist’ot’en Healing Centre, states, Wet’suwet’en women are taking a stand “to protect the lands for all the future generations that depend on it.” Land defenders are acting out of love and are taking risks to protect land and life for us all. Instead of deploying the same old tactics and strategies to talk down to Indigenous people and to justify violence against them, we want to find generative and life-affirming ways to respond that might help shape a new playbook based on respect, good relations, and reciprocity."

Last edited by: KenN on Feb. 20, 2020, 9:29 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Feb. 20, 2020, 9:36 a.m.

At least the OP got the title right , its a protest and not just about a pipeline. its about the BC gov's failing to deal with the situation for 257 yars, then Christy Clarke railroads (pun) this thru even tho the Heredetary Cheifs won't deal just find find anyone who will sign a deal and that was the band councils,  they had hoped to just let it slide, they thru a few natives in jail on 2 ocasions but they would have a major project to point at in a few years but its all blown up in Trudeau and Horgans face. Namoks has said he won't meet with Horgan cuz he disrespected him, won't meet with CGL, its pretty much gotta be Trudeau

The Mohawks back east are still blockading the CN line , the Wetsueten took down the highway blockade at Hazelton and Gitwangak after 2 hrs and the rail blockade came down a week ago Saturday but there were no trains going out to PR for a week which was actualy nice and quiet. The Wetsueten are pretty mellow IME, Namoks aint a bad guy, OTOH I would not want to fuck with the Mohawks, they remember Ipperwash & the killing of Dudley George

I drove the highway that day they blocked everything, if an extended family of cousins block the road there aint a damn thing a small detachment of RCMP can do but call for help. .

Last edited by: XXX_er on Feb. 20, 2020, 10:47 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Feb. 20, 2020, 10:45 a.m.

At least the OP got the title right , its a protest and not just about a pipeline. its about the BC gov's failing to deal with the situation for 257 yars, then Christy Clarke railroads (pun) this thru even tho the Heredetary Cheifs won't deal just find find anyone who will sign a deal and that was the band councils and at this point its all blown up in Trudeau and Horgans face. Namoks has said he won't meet with Horgan cuz he disrespected him, won't meet with CGL, its pretty much gotta be Trudeau

The Mohawks back east are still blockading the CN line , the Wetsueten took down the highway blockade at Hazelton and Gitwangak after 2 hrs and the rail blockade came down a week ago Saturday but there were no trains going out to PR for a week which was actualy nice and quiet. The Wetsueten are pretty mellow IME, Namoks aint a bad guy, OTOH I would not want to fuck with the Mohawks, they remember Ipperwash & the killing of Dudley George

I drove the highway that day they blocked everything, if an extended family of cousins block the road there aint a damn thing a small detachment of RCMP can do but call for help. .

re your other post, I figured you might have a better view of this thing than most living up narth. I'm guessing Namoks won't meet with Horgan now after Horgan initially said no. I was actually surprised at that, I thought Horgan would know better and would make the effort to at least establish good relations.

the blockages back east by the Mohawks are the ones to really worry about imo if this thing drags on. besides Ipperwash don't forget Oka. there's a warrior culture that still runs through their people and combine that with some of the attitudes of small town Ontario and things could get violent.

Last edited by: syncro on Feb. 20, 2020, 11:21 a.m., edited 2 times in total.
Reason: sp
Feb. 20, 2020, 10:54 a.m.

Posted by: JBV

do you think Canada is not being ethical about it, at least in recent times? we haven't always been, far from it, but i think the country is being as ethical as it can possibly be. i know this gets old, but i'ma say it anyways, imagine if this was the US, or oh, anywhere in the mid to far east? it would be a massacre.

I think we're trying to be ethical about it, but we can and should be doing better. The funny thing about bringing up the US example is that in some respects, Indigenous people down there fare better than Indigenous people in Canada. Land is one of those areas and I think comparatively speak they have about 3 times as much land. The danger with the US example is that it's usually not too difficult to find someone who's doing a worse job than you are. Instead of looking to examples that make our actions look good we should be comparing ourselves to a higher standard so we can do better.

Feb. 20, 2020, 11:04 a.m.

Posted by: KenN

http://activehistory.ca/2020/02/exposing-the-settler-playbook-responses-to-shutdowncanada-in-historical-context/

"Settlers use a number of strategies to maintain the colonial status quo, including distorting or dismissing the past, doublespeak and deceit, divide-and-conquer politics, paternalism, invoking a singular “rule of law,” and, of course, violence and coercion. Our hope is that by exposing some of the discursive tactics in the settler playbook – and putting them in historical context – we can help settlers to see these “moves to innocence” for what they are. As well, we want to show that settlers can choose how to respond in these moments. Instead of treading the familiar paths of colonial hubris that have led to so much pain and damage, we invite settlers to recognize the limits of our knowledge and experience and to listen to Indigenous elders, youth, scholars, and knowledge keepers. In the case of the Wet’suwet’en hereditary chiefs, their calls are clear: the RCMP must leave their territory and the Coastal GasLink project must pause for nation-to-nation negotiations.

We have heard from the brave people putting their bodies on the line at numerous blockades that they are not there for themselves but for future generations. As Dr. Karla Tait, director of programming for the Unist’ot’en Healing Centre, states, Wet’suwet’en women are taking a stand “to protect the lands for all the future generations that depend on it.” Land defenders are acting out of love and are taking risks to protect land and life for us all. Instead of deploying the same old tactics and strategies to talk down to Indigenous people and to justify violence against them, we want to find generative and life-affirming ways to respond that might help shape a new playbook based on respect, good relations, and reciprocity."

I guess I just want to know what is really in this new playbook.  It sounds nice, but what does it actually mean?  At the end of the day, there needs to be laws and regulations that govern us all regardless of whether or not some people hundreds of years ago gave some families hereditary powers.  Without clear borders between lands, this will go on forever.  I would like to give the bands lands in one mega-deal that settles this once and for all (wishful thinking I know).  If the pipeline goes through their territories then they have every legal right as owners to decide what to do and if they want their hereditary chiefs to decide, then that is fine.  

I don't think it is disrespectful to claim that ALL of us have rights and a say as to what we do with the land.  If they manage to stop the building of this pipeline I am happy with that outcome, but I don't like the idea that we are just settlers trying to make a deal for a place we can call home.  We are way past that.