Do you support or agree with the nationwide Protests?

Do you support or agree with the nationwide Protests?

Yes
42.9%
No
57.1%
Total votes: 14
Feb. 18, 2020, 12:02 p.m.

Figured this could be a good topic for NBR.

protect tom mcdonald at all costs

Feb. 18, 2020, 12:06 p.m.

Obviously talking about the Wesuwho band blocking up rail roads and arterial routes locally.

Feb. 18, 2020, 1:20 p.m.

It's a complicated subject, but overall I don't agree.  I understand that blocking bridges and railways gets the attention of the government but they are not open to negotiation so what is it for?  All it does is piss people off.  The hereditary leaders are also not elected, which I don't agree with on principle.  BUT, I also think the pipeline is stupid in this era.

Feb. 18, 2020, 1:28 p.m.

Posted by: aShogunNamedMarcus

Obviously talking about the Wesuwho band blocking up rail roads and arterial routes locally.

Mohawk

https://www.thestar.com/opinion/contributors/2020/02/12/jason-kenney-treated-with-kid-gloves-indigenous-protestors-with-assault-rifles.html

Feb. 18, 2020, 1:51 p.m.

Posted by: tungsten

Posted by: aShogunNamedMarcus

Mohawk

https://www.thestar.com/opinion/contributors/2020/02/12/jason-kenney-treated-with-kid-gloves-indigenous-protestors-with-assault-rifles.html

Have a hard time believing the rcmp are the only ones who are armed.

Feb. 18, 2020, 1:54 p.m.

As far as I'm concerned these "protesters" should be removed. Now.

Feb. 18, 2020, 2:20 p.m.

I generally support all legal protests. These are not legal.

JT needs to stop being a pu$$y about this too - patience? Nonsense. The problem will solve itself if the protestors hear train whistles getting closer.

Last edited by: Ddean on Feb. 18, 2020, 2:26 p.m., edited 2 times in total.
Feb. 18, 2020, 2:48 p.m.

Just glad we live in a country where one can protest without worrying that you might go missing or get shot.

Now they have everyone's attention... now what?

Feb. 18, 2020, 5:46 p.m.

Everyone will go home and the status quo will remain

Feb. 18, 2020, 6:13 p.m.

I think they should just protest off to the side in some obscure corner of the province where they are out of the way and easily overlooked just like all the other first nations issues have been in this country.

Feb. 18, 2020, 6:19 p.m.

Posted by: Adam-West

I think they should just protest off to the side in some obscure corner of the province where they are out of the way and easily overlooked just like all the other first nations issues have been in this country.

When I read your posts it's family guy Adam West talking. That's so crazy

Feb. 18, 2020, 6:39 p.m.

Posted by: chupacabra

It's a complicated subject, but overall I don't agree.  I understand that blocking bridges and railways gets the attention of the government but they are not open to negotiation so what is it for?  All it does is piss people off.  The hereditary leaders are also not elected, which I don't agree with on principle.  BUT, I also think the pipeline is stupid in this era.

Yes it is a very complicated issue and there is more going on than most people realize. I also think most people don't have a very good understanding of Indigenous rights in this country or how they work and that is adding to the confusion. However, I think the worst part of all this is the lack of information and the level of misinformation that's going on - from both sides. If this thing is going to play out in the public sphere, and Canadians that have nothing to do with this issue in other parts of the country are being affected by it, then I think the Wet'suwet'en heridtary chiefs that have issues with the pipeline should be clear about what those issues are. All the parties involved also need to get together on the same playing field, as right now that's not happening. There is a jurisdictional shit stew going on that's making this harder than it needs to be.

On a somewhat related note, the government also needs to take a serious look at the way the Deparment of Indigenous and Northern Affairs Operates. The way things operate right now are not in the best interest of the people it's meant to serve. The bureaucracy is insane and all Canadians should be concerned with the amount of money that gets spent (disappears) every year. Unfortunately not only have we done our best to destroy Indigenous culture, in our efforts to "fix" things we've done more damage and created welfare states in some instances. Indigenous peoples need to play an active role in this too though, and consider how their cultures and way of life integrates with what modern society has become. IMHO there is an amazing opportunity for growth for both all peoples of Canada, but we're all going to have to get comfortable with some uncomfortable realizations.

Feb. 18, 2020, 9:08 p.m.

The manner they are choosing to protest may be causing them to lose support. If folks get too inconvenienced, they may get fed up. Goods & services delayed, prices rising due to delays, layoffs etc. may get people angry about the protests.

(BTW, wishy-washy JT can't help it. He is a pussy all of the time)

Feb. 18, 2020, 9:22 p.m.

Posted by: chupacabra

The hereditary leaders are also not elected, which I don't agree with on principle.  

but teh courts did.... https://thetyee.ca/Opinion/2020/02/18/Hiding-Behind-One-Rule-Of-Law-Myth-Wetsuweten/

Feb. 18, 2020, 10:56 p.m.

Posted by: JBV

ah, the wisdom of professors. imagine how cool it would be to be a tenured prof and write this kind of shit and try and pass it off as intelligent, logic based argument. as soon as you read 'settler state' or 'colonists' written by a white person, or any person in this country, you know they're fucked, and hence we're fucked. and so we continue to track backwards in this country.

What makes you think the argument is shit? Why are using the words settler state or colonists so bad? 

Before answering this question it might be worth considering a hypothetical example first. It's 20 years into the future and climate change  has happened in a hurry and the US is suddenly in dire straights when it comes to water and arable land. Canada has been far less affected and the Us simply rolls in and takes over. They usurp our government and put their own in place. They enact their own laws, making our justice  null and void. They push us off the best land and take it for themselves. They deny us access to medical help and let disease spread. They take your children away to try and reeducate them into accepting their way of life. I could keep going but I think you get the point. What type of impact do you think this would have on the Canadian psyche? What would you call the US, an invading force, a colonizer? Until one starts to comprehend what happen to Indigenous peoples in this land after Europeans came here to settle this land and take it for their own, it's hard to appreciate the debt Canadian society owes. Now that doesn't mean that Indigenous peoples can't benefit in some way from things European culture brought here and developed here, but it definitely does not account for what European culture stole from Indigenous peoples who had been living here for millennia. Like it or not, we are responsible for taking the first steps in trying to bring some sort of balance back. One thing we cannot do however is right that wrong.