Do Trades Really Carry a Stigma? (I need life advice from the great NBR)

March 10, 2014, 9:22 a.m.

Just a couple of things.

And to comment on earning potential, to say there is a cap to a trades job but not an engineering job is incorrect. There is a cap to every job, and good trades jobs cap out around 75 to 80 grand a year around here. ?

Youre right, every job has caps. But just bear in mind: 70 grand is probably a starting salary for some engineers. Certainly if you wanna be an oil patch kid.

My older sister and I both went to postsecondary school right after highschool, her as an engineer, me as a welder.

9 years later I still make more money than her on a year for year basis.

Im 26, shes 29.

She must be quite the engineer if she finished her engineering degree at 20!

March 10, 2014, 9:26 a.m.

^ this is why I have no confidence in white collar workers and think most of them are out to lunch. The irony is incredible. I have way more respect for a man/person that is in the trades than someone who only does what mommy and daddy want and are completely clueless when it comes to the reality of life.

and this is why our society is so fucked up - the white collar worker indeed!.

This a tad harsh. As a 'white-collar' worker to lump everyone together is akin to lumping all 'workers' (tradesman, labourers, etc) in the same boat. Its a hugely heterogenous population of people.

Maybe we've seen the stigma come full circle?

March 10, 2014, 12:47 p.m.

Really? you have no idea if you can live off of $52,000 a year.
Unbelievable and you are doing a degree in accounting/business?
^ this is why I have no confidence in white collar workers and think most of them are out to lunch. The irony is incredible. I have way more respect for a man/person that is in the trades than someone who only does what mommy and daddy want and are completely clueless when it comes to the reality of life.

and this is why our society is so fucked up - the white collar worker indeed!

Follow your passions - the money and possessions you can't take with you when you die.
And all the new science is saying the worst thing a person can do to themselves is sit behind a desk all day.
Or just marry a rich girl or wait for mommy and daddy to die.
all i can think of is - another spoiled brat getting a useless degree. No wonder the younger generations are so apathetic.
Until you learn to think for yourself you will continue to be unhappy and unsatisfied with you life, IMO.
sorry for being so harsh but all I can think is "sheeple".

and in regards to the military - have spent some time recently with some of them teaching courses and they are very happy people who have great lives - for some it is a good choice, for some not so. Depends on the person.

If you had read the post thoroughly enough you would have realized the mistake you made in your interpretation. I know I CAN live off of $52,000 a year. I know you can live pretty well off of that much. What I asked is how well you can live off of it. I'm sure I could put together a list, and budget out exactly what I could do with the money, but that in no way is a good indicator of how people feel about their job. I was looking for insight from other board members who either are, or were in the position I am in. If you're so well versed in the world of business, you'd know that research is an integral part of the decision making process.

As for being a "spoiled brat." Thanks, it's good to know that looking ahead and planning for your future is such an indication of being showered in money that you're able to determine my life's story through 2 internet posts.

You can meet my "Daddy" (your words not mine) if you'd like, 4am-9pm split between a supermarket and an appliance sales floor. "Mommy" not so much, some might take offence to your marching onto a primary school playground and harassing the social worker. You see, I'm very, grateful that I'm able to live under their roof; it cuts a minimum of $600/month off of my bills. I'm sorry for enjoying that privilege, I'll put my spoiled crown back atop my head. You see, if watching my parents rot away for a pittance in their jobs has taught me anything it's that debt is something to be avoided at all costs. I work 2 jobs in the school season, a third in the summer months. Whatever I own is mine, and for the food and shelter I receive from others I am eternally grateful.

I would thank you for the advice on the military, but in reality the world needs a couple less mouth-breathers and thanking you would only discourage your kind from curling up in a corner and rotting into extinction.

March 10, 2014, 1:51 p.m.

If you want a trade the military isn't a bad choice, as they'll pay for your schooling plus give you that work experience you need to get a job. Trades range from vehicle mechanics to medics (aka medical assistants), carpenters, aircraft technicians etc. The pay is pretty good as well, and the benefits aren't to be discounted (6 weeks paid vacation a year after 5 years in, plus medical/dental). They paid me for a trade, and then for an office job. Now they're sending me back to school to work outside again. Locations aren't always ideal but that's also dependant on the person. I've had a guy in Winnipeg tell me with a straight face that he didn't understand why anyone would want to retire anywhere but there.

That said, it isn't for everyone and you need to take a look at yourself in the mirror before joining.

Being cheap is OK. Being a clueless sanctimonious condescending douchebag is just Vlad's MO.

March 10, 2014, 6:11 p.m.

Really? you have no idea if you can live off of $52,000 a year.
Unbelievable and you are doing a degree in accounting/business?

and this is why our society is so fucked up - the white collar worker indeed!

Follow your passions - the money and possessions you can't take with you when you die.
And all the new science is saying the worst thing a person can do to themselves is sit behind a desk all day.
Or just marry a rich girl or wait for mommy and daddy to die.
all i can think of is - another spoiled brat getting a useless degree. No wonder the younger generations are so apathetic.
Until you learn to think for yourself you will continue to be unhappy and unsatisfied with you life, IMO.
sorry for being so harsh but all I can think is "sheeple".

and in regards to the military - have spent some time recently with some of them teaching courses and they are very happy people who have great lives - for some it is a good choice, for some not so. Depends on the person.

Amazingly harsh, judgemental and uninformed post.

OP: BMW would appear to be one of those people that deserve to be ignored.

March 10, 2014, 6:31 p.m.

Just a couple of things.

Youre right, every job has caps. But just bear in mind: 70 grand is probably a starting salary for some engineers. Certainly if you wanna be an oil patch kid.

She must be quite the engineer if she finished her engineering degree at 20!

Just like I don't think it's accurate to lump all the trades together…I don't think it's accurate to lump everybody with a degree together. I keep seeing "engineer" in this thread. The OP said he is "grinding his way toward a degree in accounting or finance".

March 10, 2014, 6:32 p.m.

If you had read the post thoroughly enough you would have realized the mistake you made in your interpretation. I know I CAN live off of $52,000 a year. I know you can live pretty well off of that much. What I asked is how well you can live off of it. I'm sure I could put together a list, and budget out exactly what I could do with the money, but that in no way is a good indicator of how people feel about their job. I was looking for insight from other board members who either are, or were in the position I am in. If you're so well versed in the world of business, you'd know that research is an integral part of the decision making process.

As for being a "spoiled brat." Thanks, it's good to know that looking ahead and planning for your future is such an indication of being showered in money that you're able to determine my life's story through 2 internet posts.

You can meet my "Daddy" (your words not mine) if you'd like, 4am-9pm split between a supermarket and an appliance sales floor. "Mommy" not so much, some might take offence to your marching onto a primary school playground and harassing the social worker. You see, I'm very, grateful that I'm able to live under their roof; it cuts a minimum of $600/month off of my bills. I'm sorry for enjoying that privilege, I'll put my spoiled crown back atop my head. You see, if watching my parents rot away for a pittance in their jobs has taught me anything it's that debt is something to be avoided at all costs. I work 2 jobs in the school season, a third in the summer months. Whatever I own is mine, and for the food and shelter I receive from others I am eternally grateful.

I would thank you for the advice on the military, but in reality the world needs a couple less mouth-breathers and thanking you would only discourage your kind from curling up in a corner and rotting into extinction.

I would say based on this, your skin isn't thick enough for a career in the trades anyways ;)

March 10, 2014, 6:35 p.m.

Just like I don't think it's accurate to lump all the trades together…I don't think it's accurate to lump everybody with a degree together. I keep seeing "engineer" in this thread. The OP said he is "grinding his way toward a degree in accounting or finance".

This a tad harsh. As a 'white-collar' worker to lump everyone together is akin to lumping all 'workers' (tradesman, labourers, etc) in the same boat. Its a hugely heterogenous population of people.

Maybe we've seen the stigma come full circle?

Agree :beer:

March 10, 2014, 6:37 p.m.

and I'm 23. .

really?

You know you went to far when even Tungsten thinks your a Jack Ass.

March 12, 2014, 1:30 p.m.

Multiply that by the fact that unions are getting weaker and things could go either way down the road as to how well some of these trades type jobs pay.

Something to consider for sure. When you can complete the training with low/no debt in just a couple years, with a high starting wage and lots of job opportunities, it seems almost inevitable that trades could get flooded just as easily as they hand out university degrees nowadays. Not saying not to go into trades, but just to consider where something might be in 20 years. Be flexible.

WTB Frequency i23 rim, 650b NEW - $40

March 12, 2014, 1:41 p.m.

Why do you care what somebody thinks of your trade/profession?

If you're lucky enough to find something you love, that you can make a living at - do that thing, whatever it is.

If you're like a lot of us (me anyway), find something you can tolerate doing, that provides for your family, and do it the best that you can.

To hell what people think.

March 12, 2014, 4:23 p.m.

If you want a trade the military isn't a bad choice, as they'll pay for your schooling plus give you that work experience you need to get a job. Trades range from vehicle mechanics to medics (aka medical assistants), carpenters, aircraft technicians etc. The pay is pretty good as well, and the benefits aren't to be discounted (6 weeks paid vacation a year after 5 years in, plus medical/dental). They paid me for a trade, and then for an office job. Now they're sending me back to school to work outside again. Locations aren't always ideal but that's also dependant on the person. I've had a guy in Winnipeg tell me with a straight face that he didn't understand why anyone would want to retire anywhere but there.

That said, it isn't for everyone and you need to take a look at yourself in the mirror before joining.

Keep in mind that the Regular Force is top heavy in the Combat arms. And are looking for people to fill all those spots. And if you think it is to tough know of a woman currently at Borden. She has never been in the military and decided as she told me. Make significant changes in her life and decided to do what she was to timid to do earlier in her life.

Oh…and she is 42 years old.

Yep…you can listen to all the Jack Asses putting you down and stay where you are to make others happy. Or you can step out of what is safe secure and out of what to you is comfortable.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

March 12, 2014, 4:39 p.m.

As long as the work doesn't involve meetings and you can just do your job, it's all good.

I've noticed lately that you've taken an aggressive stance towards our sessions. Why don't we pencil in some time to come up with an action plan so that we can help you understand what it is that comes out of these productive, informative jams. Listen, champ, it's all about understanding each others work - we know you have a lot of irons in the fire, we just need to know what they're going to brand. Mkay? Great, see you tomorrow at 9, 11, 1:30 and 3. Oh - and how about this great weather?

March 12, 2014, 6:52 p.m.

^^ peeps can go Military at 42???

March 12, 2014, 7:06 p.m.

I've noticed lately that you've taken an aggressive stance towards our sessions. Why don't we pencil in some time to come up with an action plan so that we can help you understand what it is that comes out of these productive, informative jams. Listen, champ, it's all about understanding each others work - we know you have a lot of irons in the fire, we just need to know what they're going to brand. Mkay? Great, see you tomorrow at 9, 11, 1:30 and 3. Oh - and how about this great weather?

I had a rad meeting today. Some statuses were updated, some challenges were raised, some options were discussed, some actions were taken, some synergies were found, A plan was proposed, no decisions were made.

Perfect.