Do Trades Really Carry a Stigma? (I need life advice from the great NBR)

March 9, 2014, 1:05 a.m.

I'd like some insight into this from the great minds of NBR.

Some background:
I'm your typical disenchanted middle-class college student, currently grinding my way towards a degree in Finance or Accounting. It wasn't until recently that I realized that dwelling in an office isn't exactly how I want to spend my life. I've always considered doing something trade oriented, but was raised to believe that tradespeople were not as (insert a flattering adjective here) when compared to people with degrees.

I know now how wrong that was to think, but we can't fault ourselves on how we we're raised right? As long as we admit to being wrong? So what I want to know is if becoming a machinist is a respectable career choice, or if there really are people who hold themselves high and mighty over others, give me a reason why?

If you're a machinist yourself, I'll gladly take any advice/knowledge/information you want to share, and I'm really interested on the Quality of Life aspect of it. Can it support a new bike every couple years, a decent car, and the occasional day in the WBP?

Let me repeat, I have nothing against the trades, but I'd like to know if the trades really do carry any real stigmas.

Thanks for taking the time to read this,
Allix

March 9, 2014, 1:31 a.m.

Nothing wrong with that trade, and it is one that takes a lot of intelligence. Most of my experience with machinists has involved comfortable lifers in small shops or working for Mills. They make decent wages and have routine work, however they usually provide support work for medium sized companies, not leaving much room for advancement. I'm sure that isn't always the case, but from my experience I've seen lots of white haired machinists who manage a comfortable life but aren't getting good rich by any means.

March 9, 2014, 1:31 a.m.

I'd like some insight into this from the great minds of NBR.

Some background:
I'm your typical disenchanted middle-class college student, currently grinding my way towards a degree in Finance or Accounting. It wasn't until recently that I realized that dwelling in an office isn't exactly how I want to spend my life.

Thanks for taking the time to read this,
Allix

Allix, is dwelling in a machine shop how you want to spend your life? Think about the values towards life that you hold and therein lies the path to fulfillment (although maybe not a house, car, 2 kids and a soul-crushing line of credit).

This trip to Kelowna was definately an undertaking - Liam and I had been planning this project for 24 hours. We worked really hard to pull out all the stops in this video. We had slo-mo goggle shots; time lapses; pedal flips; outrageous product shots; unloading and loading the bike; walking through the field with your hand in wheat. At the end of the day this trip was all about just getting out and riding with all my friends.

www.letsridebikes.ca

March 9, 2014, 1:54 a.m.

You seem overly concerned with what other people think of you.

www.natooke.com

March 9, 2014, 3:02 a.m.

I've been a carpenter for almost 10 years now. As is any job, it can be both incredibly rewarding at times, and absolutely crap at others.
One thing I have always found enjoyable about it is the real visual sense of achievement you attain at the end of a days work.

Its not always a cushy job though, here in Australia the construction industry is definitely up there in injury and death rates unfortunately. It can be hard on the body in general though. Pays to work smarter, not harder for the sake of ones back, knees, hands etc.

March 9, 2014, 3:12 a.m.

Doing what you love is the most important thing. By doing what you truly love motivates you to become better and better at it, thus giving you more and more personal satisfaction. It also makes you better skilled at it. You therefore become more valuable to your employer/costumer/business partner and earn more money, which is a plus. Most of the really successful people i know of love their job first, and make a good living second and not the other way around.

March 9, 2014, 7:10 a.m.

This.

Ha Ha! Made you look.

March 9, 2014, 7:21 a.m.

I know now how wrong that was to think, but we can't fault ourselves on how we we're raised right? As long as we admit to being wrong? So what I want to know is if becoming a machinist is a respectable career choice, or if there really are people who hold themselves high and mighty over others, give me a reason why?

Let me repeat, I have nothing against the trades, but I'd like to know if the trades really do carry any real stigmas.

Im a tradesman who holds himself high and mighty over the desk jockeys.

If the stigma of earning 6 figures,the potential of working as much or as little as you want( and taking large blocks of time off) or using your mind AND body to make a living….then stick to the desk job.

Pastor of Muppets

March 9, 2014, 7:45 a.m.

As an engineer getting fat in a cubicle, and even my own office when I sit in the right building, I have nothing but respect for the machinist who makes my paper napkin sketch a reality.

I don't know what prospects in BC are like, but back in Ontario's automotive heyday, a Tool and Die maker was earning more than the paper pushers. I'd suggest looking into that.

It's also a case of supply and demand. Everyone's got a degree now-what are they worth?

That said, you also have to consider the economy. North American manufacturing is down, but taxes and death, well..

March 9, 2014, 9:26 a.m.

I've always felt that the paper pushers thought they were better than tradespersons. Let them think that while we laugh all the way to the bank. At least a machinist is an indoor job. No working in shit weather. One of the bad things about working in the trades verses in an office is, in the trades by the time you get old, your body is a bit beat-up.

Thread killer

March 9, 2014, 10:02 a.m.

"Dirty Hands Make Clean Money".

March 9, 2014, 10:10 a.m.

I've always felt that the paper pushers thought they were better than tradespersons. Let them think that while we laugh all the way to the bank. At least a machinist is an indoor job. No working in shit weather. One of the bad things about working in the trades verses in an office is, in the trades by the time you get old, your body is a bit beat-up.

Sure parts of me are getting worn out,but I know more desk jockeys with chronic health problems than people in my field

Pastor of Muppets

March 9, 2014, 10:16 a.m.

I think the days of the stigma against trades is gone, or at least going. More and more people have come to realize that without the trades, we've got nothing. I think that your changing attitude/viewpoint is evidence of this.

Any trade is just as respectable as any other activity, and as has been mentioned earning potential is right on par or even better then a lot of office jobs.

I ride bikes, when I can.

March 9, 2014, 10:19 a.m.

^ This.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

March 9, 2014, 10:25 a.m.

If you want respect for your life choices, bear in mind that respect is earned [even self-respect, which may be the issue here].

Ride: Ibis Mojo HD
Club: CMBA
Talent: None
:beer::canada: