Do sidewalks have COVID?

Dec. 8, 2020, 11:48 a.m.

This is sorta related so I will put it here.  I live in downtown Squamish so I sometimes grab my bike in the evening and ride to Nexen Beach to check out the sunset and burn one.  The trail is pretty narrow and I notice that when I come up behind couples they usually go to either side of the trail and make me split the middle and ride in between them.  Other groups of friends usually go to the same side and let me go by without grazing them with my bars.  Is there some kind of weird couple psychology at play here or am I just going crazy from COVID?

Dec. 8, 2020, 12:11 p.m.

Posted by: chupacabra

This is sorta related so I will put it here.  I live in downtown Squamish so I sometimes grab my bike in the evening and ride to Nexen Beach to check out the sunset and burn one.  The trail is pretty narrow and I notice that when I come up behind couples they usually go to either side of the trail and make me split the middle and ride in between them.  Other groups of friends usually go to the same side and let me go by without grazing them with my bars.  Is there some kind of weird couple psychology at play here or am I just going crazy from COVID?

I see this a lot too and often the people don't look happy about moving over even if you say "Excuse me, coming through on the left." The few times I've stopped to explain and suggest they go to both sides of the trail/path to make it better for everyone I've gotten the dirty eyeball or some sort of rebuke that suggests I've called them dumb fucks or something like that. The last time I tired it I started off with saying thanks for moving and tried to use reverse psychology by suggesting it was better for them to move to the same side and they still got offended. There's no pleasing people sometimes. lol -it reminds me of a joke actually.

There are four types of sex in a marriage:

1. House sex happens for the first few years when everything is still fresh and brand new and you have sex in every room of the house.

2. Bedroom sex happens after maybe five or six years when you have a couple kids and you can only have sex in the bedroom.

3. Hall sex happens after about ten years when you have to pass each other in the hallway and just say “Fuck you”

4. Courtroom sex is when your wife and her lawyer fuck you in front of the judge and everyone else

Dec. 21, 2020, 8:37 p.m.

Posted by: syncro

Shogun makes a good point about cyclists using main roads when there are bike routes maybe one or two blocks away. A lot of Vancouver main streets have narrow shoulders or next to no shoulders at all which makes it difficult for vehicles to pass. Add in heavy traffic and it's not only disruptive to the flow of traffic it's also dangerous for cyclists. If we're all supposed to be sharing the road, then that includes cyclists using appropriate routes that aren't going to disrupt traffic. I say this as much as a bicycle commuter as a vehicle driver. It doesn't happen often, but when I see nitwits on bicycles on streets like main, 1st ave, Grandview, etc it makes me wonder how ignorant or entitled one has to be to do something so stupid.

That's basically my point. But I might've noticed one thing about that entitled rider, they dont usually wear a helmet when I see them. To me, that says something. Not sure what yet but I just dont ride on a street without a helmet.

On the money side, how much are bike lane 'installs' costing the average tax payer per year, when the majority doesnt use the bike lanes?

Dec. 25, 2020, 2:08 p.m.

I find it really hard to care about helmetless cyclists holding up cars for 10 seconds when shit like this keeps happening: 

https://vancouversun.com/news/local-news/judge-finds-victoria-woman-guilty-of-texting-speeding-in-crash-that-catastrophically-injured-young-girl

Dec. 27, 2020, 9:21 a.m.

Posted by: Fast-Orange

I find it really hard to care about helmetless cyclists holding up cars for 10 seconds when shit like this keeps happening: 

https://vancouversun.com/news/local-news/judge-finds-victoria-woman-guilty-of-texting-speeding-in-crash-that-catastrophically-injured-young-girl

I dont see how that is related. Unless the speeding texting woman was behind a slow ass entitled cyclist hoggin' a whole lane doing well below the posted MIN speed limit.. ?

Jan. 22, 2021, 8:44 a.m.

Figured I'd bump this up since I've come across more bike lane chicanery. Such as SW Marine, between Main and Knight. Along with infrastructure upgrades, curb lanes are going to be bike n bus lanes? Thats 5050 as I'm unsure but Richards St downtown? From what I've seen, the City is moving the bike lane over the south side onto the sidewalk level, it'll be bidirectional bike traffic, then two outside lanes of parking with one lane for moving traffic. I dont see why they cant just use Granville St since its already half closed down.

I'm guessing the City is at the saturation point of taxation where they can afford to keep the rest of the lower mainland out? Are the viaducts still coming down?

Jan. 22, 2021, 11:27 a.m.

Posted by: aShogunNamedMarcus

I'm guessing the City is at the saturation point of taxation where they can afford to keep the rest of the lower mainland out? Are the viaducts still coming down?

City of Vancouver is projecting a deficit between 60M$ and 189M$ deficit for FY2021.

Last edited by: Couch_Surfer on Jan. 22, 2021, 11:28 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Jan. 22, 2021, 3:14 p.m.

Posted by: Couch_Surfer

Posted by: aShogunNamedMarcus

City of Vancouver is projecting a deficit between 60M$ and 189M$ deficit for FY2021.

Keep the bike lanes rollin' though!

Jan. 22, 2021, 4:23 p.m.

Welcome to public sector finance, where deficit budgets are the norm (particularly when the economy is dragging!)

Jan. 22, 2021, 8:15 p.m.

don't lik the sidewalks eh