Do sidewalks have COVID?

Nov. 29, 2020, 7:58 p.m.

Posted by: aShogunNamedMarcus

This thread highlights how fucked in the head and easily triggered some of you are when you see my user name. This was supposed to a fun thread (gooder even!) yet somehow I'm still an asshole for pointing out an obvious safety issue that would be this fine ass' fault if there was an MVA with a dumbass walker. I like my driver factor being just shy of .54.

Seriously, what pedastrian wants to become anyone's hood ornament? What good is a settlement if your quality of life is altered drastically?

You guys either need to give your a head a shake or let me shake some sense into you.

I agree it sux dude, but there's a reason for it. I keep trying to point it out and offer some some suggestions to you so things move differently but you don't seem interested. You get to choose how things go, but realize that the longer you keep pushing people away the longer it will take people to warm up to you.

Nov. 29, 2020, 8:05 p.m.

Posted by: Fast-Orange

This thread highlights how fucked in the head and easily triggered some of you are when you see my user name. This was supposed to a fun thread (gooder even!) yet somehow I'm still an asshole for pointing out an obvious safety issue that would be this fine ass' fault if there was an MVA with a dumbass walker. I like my driver factor being just shy of .54.

Seriously, what pedastrian wants to become anyone's hood ornament? What good is a settlement if your quality of life is altered drastically?

You guys either need to give your a head a shake or let me shake some sense into you.

Spoken like a true entitled asshole. I've been driving for almost five years now and live in the same neighborhood as you. I thought I might come around to the hate for cyclists and pedestrians when I joined team motorist but it has yet to happen. COV has designated Ontario as a slow street so joggers and cyclists and pedestrians have more space to give each other distance. Seems you only respect legal authority when they're kettling your political enemies. 

Asshole.

This isnt just about Ontario St or me being some nimby you twat. To you I'm entitled because I believe things like cyclists shouldnt use arterial routes like Main St when there's two roads and two alleys to use both East n West of Main. One being a designted a route. How lazy are they?  You should find that agreeable even if you are or were a suicidal fixie as not everyone share's that lust for fresh exhaust. Cyslists are entitled because "share the road" means they get a whole lane to themselve's and no fucks are given by them, with or without a helmet or lights. How many designated bike route's do they need? They get the bus lane on Granville during rush hour - instead of just using the bike rack on the bus or one of the bike route's that are one block over running parallel to Granville. Cambie has its own bike lanes and they recently just removed the curb lane near QE/35th for a bike route when they could have the bike route turn South off Cambie onto 34th and go behind the new developments. In other words - why do cyclists need to be on every road, especially the arteries ? 

Check this out, it wont be the same with covid but next time you happen to be around Cambie Broadway and its a rainy rush hour, just look north at the southbound lane of the Cambie street bridge. Should be backed up bumper to bumper becuse the CoV took away one vehicle lane away which now isnt used efficiently to move things anymore. So as green as bike are, removing the flow of traffic in congested area's is actually a negative for that whole argument (moving car's run cleaner than idling car's, debate me on that bitches).

Remember Vancouver's old blue bin slogan: Greenest City 2020? Now its 2050.  Huge fucking elle oh elle to that because they're obviously idiots making decisions. Once development starts around Oak 64th it's only a matter of time before they paint both curb lanes green.

Nov. 29, 2020, 8:51 p.m.

I saw the newly painted bike lines on Nanaimo St  and thought what idiot politician car driver came up with this one?   Love the bike routes in town, I use them all the time.  But not the newer ones getting painted onto main automobile arteries, that’s just dangerous.   

At least the pedestrians have a bit of space now, walking up the road Nanaimo or Cambie.  :rollseyes:

Nov. 29, 2020, 9:21 p.m.

Posted by: syncro

I agree it sux dude, but there's a reason for it. I keep trying to point it out and offer some some suggestions to you so things move differently but you don't seem interested. You get to choose how things go, but realize that the longer you keep pushing people away the longer it will take people to warm up to you.

Yep its always the Shoguns fault. So why change?

Nov. 29, 2020, 9:22 p.m.

Posted by: three-sheets

What if i identify as a cyclist, but dont have a bike with me? Can i then walk down the street in dark clothes? What if i have 5 brown people with me?

Try identifying as a car while walking on a highway and let us know how it goes.

Nov. 29, 2020, 9:26 p.m.

Posted by: heckler

I saw the newly painted bike lines on Nanaimo St  and thought what idiot politician car driver came up with this one?   Love the bike routes in town, I use them all the time.  But not the newer ones getting painted onto main automobile arteries, that’s just dangerous.   

At least the pedestrians have a bit of space now, walking up the road Nanaimo or Cambie.  :rollseyes:

Think its too late for them to pave over old train tracks for cyclists? That'll probably require an interim land lease or some sort from a railway. Should be too expensive so it'd probably be a go.

Nov. 30, 2020, 10:36 a.m.

The more important question is....can bikes get it?

Nov. 30, 2020, 11:12 a.m.

Vroom vroom!!! Im a car!

Why so cereals?

Nov. 30, 2020, 4:11 p.m.

Spoken like a true entitled asshole. I've been driving for almost five years now and live in the same neighborhood as you. I thought I might come around to the hate for cyclists and pedestrians when I joined team motorist but it has yet to happen. COV has designated Ontario as a slow street so joggers and cyclists and pedestrians have more space to give each other distance. Seems you only respect legal authority when they're kettling your political enemies.

Asshole.

This isnt just about Ontario St or me being some nimby you twat. To you I'm entitled because I believe things like cyclists shouldnt use arterial routes like Main St when there's two roads and two alleys to use both East n West of Main. One being a designted a route. How lazy are they? You should find that agreeable even if you are or were a suicidal fixie as not everyone share's that lust for fresh exhaust. Cyslists are entitled because "share the road" means they get a whole lane to themselve's and no fucks are given by them, with or without a helmet or lights. How many designated bike route's do they need? They get the bus lane on Granville during rush hour - instead of just using the bike rack on the bus or one of the bike route's that are one block over running parallel to Granville. Cambie has its own bike lanes and they recently just removed the curb lane near QE/35th for a bike route when they could have the bike route turn South off Cambie onto 34th and go behind the new developments. In other words - why do cyclists need to be on every road, especially the arteries ?

Check this out, it wont be the same with covid but next time you happen to be around Cambie Broadway and its a rainy rush hour, just look north at the southbound lane of the Cambie street bridge. Should be backed up bumper to bumper becuse the CoV took away one vehicle lane away which now isnt used efficiently to move things anymore. So as green as bike are, removing the flow of traffic in congested area's is actually a negative for that whole argument (moving car's run cleaner than idling car's, debate me on that bitches).

Remember Vancouver's old blue bin slogan: Greenest City 2020? Now its 2050. Huge fucking elle oh elle to that because they're obviously idiots making decisions. Once development starts around Oak 64th it's only a matter of time before they paint both curb lanes green.

Lol cyclists are allowed to ride on whatever road they want they don't need your permission. They already have it in the way of very clear laws which include being allowed to take an entire lane.

And bumper to bumper is just regular city shit. Show me one dense city that isn't bumper to bumper. More lanes doesn't do shit-all to help, it in fact often makes it worse as drivers will criss cross all over the road looking for an edge while slowing things down more. They could make Cambie street twice as wide as it already is and it would still be bumper to bumper because that's what always happens. You could correlate the increasing congestion to things like increasing population in metro Vancouver but you won't do that because that would mean admitting you're part of the problem. It's more satisfying for people to resort to primitive tribalism and blame the cyclists.

The only way to reduce congestion is to offer viable alternatives at the same time as discouraging driving wherever possible. If I'm going downtown I'm leaving my car at home and taking transit or cycling because I'm not dumb. CoV should implement tolls on every bridge leading into the downtown core and double that rate on weekends. The cultural dominance of the car has to end.

Last edited by: Fast-Orange on Nov. 30, 2020, 4:12 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
Dec. 1, 2020, 4:21 a.m.

Asshole.

This isnt just about Ontario St or me being some nimby you twat. To you I'm entitled because I believe things like cyclists shouldnt use arterial routes like Main St when there's two roads and two alleys to use both East n West of Main. One being a designted a route. How lazy are they? You should find that agreeable even if you are or were a suicidal fixie as not everyone share's that lust for fresh exhaust. Cyslists are entitled because "share the road" means they get a whole lane to themselve's and no fucks are given by them, with or without a helmet or lights. How many designated bike route's do they need? They get the bus lane on Granville during rush hour - instead of just using the bike rack on the bus or one of the bike route's that are one block over running parallel to Granville. Cambie has its own bike lanes and they recently just removed the curb lane near QE/35th for a bike route when they could have the bike route turn South off Cambie onto 34th and go behind the new developments. In other words - why do cyclists need to be on every road, especially the arteries ?

Remember Vancouver's old blue bin slogan: Greenest City 2020? Now its 2050. Huge fucking elle oh elle to that because they're obviously idiots making decisions. Once development starts around Oak 64th it's only a matter of time before they paint both curb lanes green.

Lol cyclists are allowed to ride on whatever road they want they don't need your permission. They already have it in the way of very clear laws which include being allowed to take an entire lane.

And bumper to bumper is just regular city shit. Show me one dense city that isn't bumper to bumper. More lanes doesn't do shit-all to help, it in fact often makes it worse as drivers will criss cross all over the road looking for an edge while slowing things down more. They could make Cambie street twice as wide as it already is and it would still be bumper to bumper because that's what always happens. You could correlate the increasing congestion to things like increasing population in metro Vancouver but you won't do that because that would mean admitting you're part of the problem. It's more satisfying for people to resort to primitive tribalism and blame the cyclists.

The only way to reduce congestion is to offer viable alternatives at the same time as discouraging driving wherever possible. If I'm going downtown I'm leaving my car at home and taking transit or cycling because I'm not dumb. CoV should implement tolls on every bridge leading into the downtown core and double that rate on weekends. The cultural dominance of the car has to end.

Well said.

I recall saying how unnecessary the very expensive redo on the burrard st bridge was. Now I use it all the time and love it. The dedicated bike lanes make you want to travel downtown by bike. I can hardly wait til they give two lanes of the granville bridge to 🚶‍♂️

Dec. 3, 2020, 2:50 a.m.

Big cities need to rethink and redesign the kind of infrastructure they want to have, and it starts and ends with motorized traffic, and the mindset of entitlement. Just read some really interesting essays in boneshakermag, definitely worth checking out.

Dec. 3, 2020, 9:53 a.m.

Posted by: Mic

Big cities need to rethink and redesign the kind of infrastructure they want to have, and it starts and ends with motorized traffic, and the mindset of entitlement. Just read some really interesting essays in boneshakermag, definitely worth checking out.

I'll have to give that a read. 

Victoria has had pretty great cycling infrastructure for a long time and it's well utilized.. yet the Cowichan Valley is becoming Squamish 2.0 in a big way. I don't blame Victorians, I don't want to work my life away paying for a $450k + strata condo and bicycle commuting either. 

I've seen quite a shift in what people are interested in over the past 4-5 years. City culture out of style.

Dec. 3, 2020, 11:51 a.m.

Posted by: Madman

Posted by: Mic

I'll have to give that a read.

Victoria has had pretty great cycling infrastructure for a long time and it's well utilized.. yet the Cowichan Valley is becoming Squamish 2.0 in a big way. I don't blame Victorians, I don't want to work my life away paying for a $450k + strata condo and bicycle commuting either.

I've seen quite a shift in what people are interested in over the past 4-5 years. City culture out of style.

I am not that sure if city living was ever about style. I grew up on the SSC and my wife in Whistler so neither of us ever loved living in a city (hence the move to Squamish), but we had to for education and then career. I have accepted the commute, but I try to work from home as much as possible. Now that is something people can do more and more by working online so it's the best of both worlds. I don't expect the cities to stop getting bigger, but the surrounding small towns will become large towns and small cities. I think most people that I know like to live where it is large enough that you can get something to eat at midnight, but small enough that you run into friends at the grocery store.

Last edited by: chupacabra on Dec. 3, 2020, 11:52 a.m., edited 1 time in total.
Dec. 8, 2020, 12:55 a.m.

Asshole.

Easiest way to ease congestion is to make the roads efficient as fuck and have some confines. That and going to a circulatory-counterflow high volume system. Hoping everyone converts to bikes while shutting out the rest of the lower mainland is not a grand idea. Having idiots on two wheels roam where they want that impedes moving tonnage does not help any situation. Also, you're hippy ass will be pleased to know that I've had a compass card for over a year. I'm ok with bike lanes as long as the cyclists actually use them - there's enough mixed traffic volume beside Langara college that the cement divider's need to be removed for space and that is safety space. I'm against idiot cyclists because it'll be my insurance and money that pays for their stupidity.

And cultural dominance of cars? lol thats a new one. Once the SkyTrain can handle the volume, we could move away from cars. But in the mean time #NonShareCarsAreSaferThanTransitBecauseCovid

Dec. 8, 2020, 3:38 a.m.

This was supposed to a fun thread (gooder even!) yet somehow I'm still an asshole for pointing out an obvious safety issue that would be this fine ass' fault if there was an MVA with a dumbass walker. I like my driver factor being just shy of .54.

Asshole.

This isnt just about Ontario St or me being some nimby you twat. To you I'm entitled because I believe things like cyclists shouldnt use arterial routes like Main St when there's two roads and two alleys to use both East n West of Main. One being a designted a route.

Shogun makes a good point about cyclists using main roads when there are bike routes maybe one or two blocks away. A lot of Vancouver main streets have narrow shoulders or next to no shoulders at all which makes it difficult for vehicles to pass. Add in heavy traffic and it's not only disruptive to the flow of traffic it's also dangerous for cyclists. If we're all supposed to be sharing the road, then that includes cyclists using appropriate routes that aren't going to disrupt traffic. I say this as much as a bicycle commuter as a vehicle driver. It doesn't happen often, but when I see nitwits on bicycles on streets like main, 1st ave, Grandview, etc it makes me wonder how ignorant or entitled one has to be to do something so stupid.