Do-It-Yourself (DIY) Auto Aftermarket Parts and Service Survey

June 6, 2017, 7:24 p.m.

Hey Everyone,

Doing a project for school about the auto aftermarket and opportunities in the area of Do-It-Yourself (DIY) auto parts, servicing and maintenance in Canada. The DIY auto aftermarket for parts and accessories is a $6 billion business in Canada according to investment firm Raymond James. 

Would appreciate it if any of you folks with any opinions on this could do the quick survey (its a Google Form, 10 questions multiple choice or checkbox) 

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdE7S9kgxACWUmTv0-8coNX2_fu1-UWTygKfuina-t76p1pJw/viewform?c=0&;w=1

Any comments and feedback are appreciated too.

Thanks in advance!

S-P

PS The 'Shore Rocks!

June 6, 2017, 8:35 p.m.

OK, did it but Jesus, correct the grammar, eh?

If you do the service yourself, how often do you needed a tool you didn’t own?

June 6, 2017, 10:27 p.m.

OK ... I fixed it.

June 7, 2017, 6:11 p.m.

So you're trying to determine the viability of a store that rents auto maintenance tools?

June 7, 2017, 10:19 p.m.

I did it too. But, what the hell is this question supposed to mean:

Automobile tune ups and repairs are quite costly. Did you know that in Canada, service locations typically bill significantly more for labour than for actual auto parts?

Apples and oranges, you can't compare labour and parts costs. Or, do you mean that for a typical "tune up", labour makes up more of the bill than parts do? You should say that.

Also - since the advent of electronic ignition and fuel injection and computer controlled everything, the notion of a "tune up" is pretty much dead I think.

Last edited by: ceebee on June 7, 2017, 10:19 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
June 10, 2017, 7:05 p.m.

Posted by: ceebee

I did it too. But, what the hell is this question supposed to mean:

Automobile tune ups and repairs are quite costly. Did you know that in Canada, service locations typically bill significantly more for labour than for actual auto parts?

Apples and oranges, you can't compare labour and parts costs. Or, do you mean that for a typical "tune up", labour makes up more of the bill than parts do? You should say that.

Also - since the advent of electronic ignition and fuel injection and computer controlled everything, the notion of a "tune up" is pretty much dead I think.

An analysis done of Canada's auto service industry says that total receipts for labour exceeds those for parts. Not that there is anything wrong with that, it just an observation that receipts for labour on car repairs significantly exceeds those for auto components.

Last edited by: shirtan-pantz on June 10, 2017, 7:10 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
June 10, 2017, 7:08 p.m.

Posted by: switch

So you're trying to determine the viability of a store that rents auto maintenance tools?

Yes ... but more of a shared rental pool/network for people who need auto tools that they don't own.

Last edited by: shirtan-pantz on June 10, 2017, 7:11 p.m., edited 1 time in total.