do I buy an iPhone now??

June 8, 2010, 3:05 p.m.

:rolleyes: Bullshit? How well does it handle SWFs that require persistent cursor positioning and displays things that are smaller than your finger? Or files that differentiate between rollover and click? Or drag and drop? Or precise mouse positioning that was designed for monitors of at least 17"? Or right clicks?

Or what about the massive number of online flash games that use a keyboard for control? How should an iPhone handle those?

I didn't say it can't be implemented, but it's fundamentally flawed to try to shoehorn flash files designed for desktops and laptops onto a mobile touchscreen.

I don't have any of those issues, other than having to squint a bit to see my 'precise mouse positioning'. But then again, that's why I chose the device I did. In fact just earlier I was playing the game on jpi's link, somehow magically dragging a dropping… weird.

June 8, 2010, 3:06 p.m.

No worries. I still love ya… even if your phone is a piece of shit.

I keed, I keed.

:lol: Golden.

June 8, 2010, 3:24 p.m.

I'd rather have a slightly limited smartphone that runs problem free 99.99% of the time, than a buggy but completely open one that crashes at least once a day.

The same goes for desktops and laptops.

This is actually the only complaint I have about my 3GS. The mail app crashes pretty frequently, I think due to big attachments. Hopefully the new OS and new mail program will fix this.

June 8, 2010, 3:34 p.m.

I don't have any of those issues, other than having to squint a bit to see my 'precise mouse positioning'. But then again, that's why I chose the device I did. In fact just earlier I was playing the game on jpi's link, somehow magically dragging a dropping… weird.

Someone makes a fullscreen flash site with drag and drop, but you want to scroll down because it wasn't optimized for landscape. What do you do?

You visit a site with a flash drop-down menu that appears when you roll over the top nav element. This element can also be clicked to go to the section's main page. How do you expose the subnav without clicking on the link?

You want to play a flash freerider game that has keyboard inputs but also requires all the screen real estate. How do you control it without your popup keyboard appearing onscreen?

If you haven't come across any of these situations (off the top of my head) then you really don't use flash on your phone much and maybe you don't even need it (FLV support aside, but hey, h264 is superior anyways).

I'm not sure how a single flash file that was already ported to the iPhone is a good example of how flash on mobile devices aren't problematic.

iforonewelcome.com

June 8, 2010, 3:49 p.m.

Someone makes a fullscreen flash site with drag and drop, but you want to scroll down because it wasn't optimized for landscape. What do you do?

I swipe in from the left hand margin, double tap the mouse cursor icon, select the item I'd like to drag, without lifting my finger/the stylus move to the bottom margin of the screen an it auto scrolls.

You visit a site with a flash drop-down menu that appears when you roll over the top nav element. This element can also be clicked to go to the section's main page. How do you expose the subnav without clicking on the link?

I swipe in from the left hand margin, double tap the mouse cursor icon, I click in a null section of the screen and without releasing my click move my finger/stylus over the menu header, when the menu appears, i scroll down the list until the item I want is highlighted and release.

You want to play a flash freerider game that has keyboard inputs but also requires all the screen real estate. How do you control it without your popup keyboard appearing onscreen?

I have a full QWERTY keyboard on my phone. Again, that's why I chose my handset.

If you haven't come across any of these situations (off the top of my head) then you really don't use flash on your phone much and maybe you don't even need it (FLV support aside, but hey, h264 is superior anyways).

I'm not sure how a single flash file that was already ported to the iPhone is a good example of how flash on mobile devices aren't problematic.

Number one, I don't have an iPhone. But the screen on my device is the same dimensions, higher resolution, resistive, not capacitive. But a mobile device nonetheless. So again, I haven't had any of these issues. Sounds like you have hardware issues bro. Maybe you should try another phone ;) Flash works great on my handset.

June 8, 2010, 4:07 p.m.

At least support flash vids and animations.

Oh, and flash for x64 Windows would be nice too.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

June 8, 2010, 4:08 p.m.

Again, I haven't had any of these issues. Sounds like you have hardware issues bro. Maybe you should try another phone ;) Flash works great on my handset.

All of those are terribly innelegant work-arounds. Other than the QWERTY thing, and I think we can agree that the lack of a keyboard on the iPhone wasn't a move to screw Adobe. We all know that flash on mobile devices is possible, but the experience isn't anywhere close to the consistent quality that iPhone users have come to expect.

I've tried other phones, and I've been on the edge of getting a Nexus 1 for a while after having spent a lot of time with one It's a great phone, but flash truly sucks on it. For now I'm on an iPhone 'cause that's where the money is and the development environment is better suited to me (but i recognize how ridiculous it is for most).

Maybe you should try an iPhone. Sounds like you've been subjecting yourself to superior hardware with inferior user experiences for a while and could use the break if you actually think that Flash works well on 2" by 3.5" touchscreens.

iforonewelcome.com

June 8, 2010, 4:14 p.m.

Get an Android phone….I friggin LOVE my Xperia X10!

June 8, 2010, 4:17 p.m.

Lol nerds.

June 8, 2010, 4:22 p.m.

All of those are terribly innelegant work-arounds. Other than the QWERTY thing, and I think we can agree that the lack of a keyboard on the iPhone wasn't a move to screw Adobe. We all know that flash on mobile devices is possible, but the experience isn't anywhere close to the consistent quality that iPhone users have come to expect.

Isn't that like someone criticizing how someone else rides a bike, who can't ride a bike themselves? They aren't 'terribly innelegant work-arounds', they are essentially the exact same thing you would do on a desktop computer.

I've tried other phones, and I've been on the edge of getting a Nexus 1 for a while after having spent a lot of time with one It's a great phone, but flash truly sucks on it. For now I'm on an iPhone 'cause that's where the money is and the development environment is better suited to me (but i recognize how ridiculous it is for most).

Maybe you should try an iPhone. Sounds like you've been subjecting yourself to superior hardware with inferior user experiences for a while and could use the break if you actually think that Flash works well on 2" by 3.5" touchscreens.

:lol: I have tried an iPhone for several weeks, I also own an iPod touch. The 'superior user interface' apparently isn't superior enough…. I guess that's because I have a functioning brain and don't mind having to use it in order to access my internet content ;)

June 8, 2010, 7:06 p.m.

Looks like flash on a mobile touchscreen device works as well as any other application on the device.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIl1k7wX7Fk

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

June 8, 2010, 8:02 p.m.

Flash hasn't even been officially integrated into the N1 yet. It isn't actually supported until Android 2.2 which doesn't even show up for the Nexus for a few weeks yet. How is it you've already spent time with Flash on a Nexus One?

June 8, 2010, 8:46 p.m.

Flash hasn't even been officially integrated into the N1 yet. It isn't actually supported until Android 2.2 which doesn't even show up for the Nexus for a few weeks yet. How is it you've already spent time with Flash on a Nexus One?

Flash has 'officially' been working on the N1 since at least early this year, it just hasn't been available to the general public. This wasn't my phone.

iforonewelcome.com

June 8, 2010, 8:50 p.m.

Get an Android phone….I friggin LOVE my Xperia X10!

I second this it is such a crazy phone

June 8, 2010, 10:18 p.m.

Flash has 'officially' been working on the N1 since at least early this year, it just hasn't been available to the general public. This wasn't my phone.

Ah so you were using a N1 with some early Flash unofficial beta hacked on to it 6 months ago rather than the official Flash 10.1 mobile in it's actually final form just now.

And apparently it was buggy and worked not quite right? Shocking.