do I buy an iPhone now??

June 7, 2010, 3:53 p.m.

im pretty sure apples successful because they have a fruit for a logo

June 7, 2010, 4:28 p.m.

I just got the new sony Ericson best camera on the market and biggest screen. I love the android system. I am so glad I did not jump on the iphone band wagon.

But to each there own

June 7, 2010, 4:37 p.m.

If the 3GS goes down in price to $99, I wonder if they'll keep charging $200 to replace broken screens..

Being cheap is OK. Being a clueless sanctimonious condescending douchebag is just Vlad's MO.

June 7, 2010, 4:38 p.m.

^^^ Android seems too techy to me :lol: I'm a simpleton and iPhones are simple.

I watched a Youtube video of iPhone vs. HTC Hero and solidified this theory again.

June 7, 2010, 4:39 p.m.

When they say "retails for 199" does that mean with a contract? Or can you just buy one outright for that?

June 7, 2010, 4:41 p.m.

Posted via Mobile Device
I just got an iPhone on Sunday and it does make boring line ups fun and interesting.
I don't think I can go back cause I'm having too much fun.,…and I have barely explored the apps too
anybody have any cool app links?

I hate to imagine what you use your iPhone for! what sort of line ups are we talking about here?

June 7, 2010, 4:46 p.m.

I would say their success is not because the App store but their interface which was the first touch screen to market and the simplest to use. It was also attractive to all the people that already had ipods and a decent library of music and videos.

As I said before, first to market. But Interface?, don't get it twisted son, it's a bunch of icons that move side to side. That's it. Without a bunch of third party developers programming for Apple, the iPhone would be useless. Fortunately, for you, that's not the case.

If Apple's App store wasn't so polished, programmers would not stick around. Trust me, I know a bunch of dude's who program for app 'manufacturers' and they have stated emphatically that it's a bitch dealing with their restrictive code and that the only reason that they program for the iPhone is because with the number of users they make a ton of money, and before there was a bunch of users, it was because Apple had the only 'store' running, before that their was no simple system for getting applications on a smart phone and money to the programmers.

June 7, 2010, 5:50 p.m.

Looks sick. I'll upgrade in a year or so.

June 7, 2010, 6 p.m.

When they say "retails for 199" does that mean with a contract? Or can you just buy one outright for that?

:lol: That's with a 3 year contract. Outright is somewhere around $700.

June 7, 2010, 6:31 p.m.

probably a repost, but…

June 7, 2010, 8:49 p.m.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3KrFV0-WFw

June 7, 2010, 8:54 p.m.

ok unrelaed to iphone, but related to my above post… this is wild.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvRTALJp8DM

June 7, 2010, 9:06 p.m.

As I said before, first to market. But Interface?, don't get it twisted son, it's a bunch of icons that move side to side. That's it. Without a bunch of third party developers programming for Apple, the iPhone would be useless. Fortunately, for you, that's not the case.

If Apple's App store wasn't so polished, programmers would not stick around. Trust me, I know a bunch of dude's who program for app 'manufacturers' and they have stated emphatically that it's a bitch dealing with their restrictive code and that the only reason that they program for the iPhone is because with the number of users they make a ton of money, and before there was a bunch of users, it was because Apple had the only 'store' running, before that their was no simple system for getting applications on a smart phone and money to the programmers.

just as a case in point, and i'm only talking about this for fun…. not as argument… i really don't care what phone is being used by whoever… but…

the hardware is there for an interesting user interface… a jailbroken iphone accepts gestures on the screen as commands. you can set them to do whatever you want. if i swipe left to right across the clock bar it opens a drop down menu which has toggles for wifi, brightness, bluetooth, gps, etc… and shows the running processes which i can kill if i want. It also shows the available memory. If i swipe straight up it opens my dictionary. i could set many more if i wanted. it's pretty neat.

but really the only reason to jail break is for backgorunding and for themes… the themes aren't so important, but if it's jeilbroken for backgrounding, may as well make it look crazy too.

just sharing, i think it's fun.

June 7, 2010, 11:27 p.m.

How long did it take for Apple to enable video capture on it's phones? A feature that has been practically standard on handsets for almost a decade.

Apples dominance (arguable) in the smartphone market is solely based on the success of the App Store. Straight up. They were first to market and created a seamless system for purchasing applications. This attracted developers, who because they could actually receive compensation for their work, developed more applications, which in turn, attracted more customers. Apple has always had nice looking hardware, but in terms of actual hardware, has been a step behind, IMO, until the 4.

I'd argue that it's much more about user experience, but the app store doesn't hurt (and certainly adds to the user experience). If the iPhone's success was solely attached to the App Store, then how do you explain the phones ridiculous success prior to it's launch?

Apple's hardware is usually cutting edge upon launch, but then lags behind as they update hardware less often than most other companies (part of having only one product in a class at a time). Where they excel is re-purposing existing concepts into an easy to use seamless package. For example, the iPod has never been technically superior to all other MP3 players on the market, but it's dominance has been unquestionable.

However, I still agree with you that the closed system is messed up and hurts the market as much as it helps Apple's bottom line.

I think that Android might have a real chance at taking the App Store off it's thrown because Google (and the cabal of ridiculously rich companies that are really behind the OS) can just throw money at developers if they want to, even more than Apple could afford to.

iforonewelcome.com

June 8, 2010, 6:05 a.m.

Higher resolution display, 5MP camera with flash and 720p video recording, supposedly better cell phone reception because of case design , supposedly faster processor, and 802.11n. Nice updates.

Front facing camera works only on WiFi, max 32GB, new SIM required, marginally better battery life, 4.0 multitasking is about as good as MS-DOS 5.0, and no Flash support. Weak.

Adding Bling is interesting - givin' it to Google.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells