Disaster Kit

March 3, 2016, 10:20 a.m.

Do you guys have a disaster kit?

Aside from the obvious, what kind of stuff do you keep in it? Realized we were pretty lacking in preparedness recently so we're gonna be disaster kit shopping this weekend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2g8cplYa_DE

www.natooke.com

March 3, 2016, 11:20 a.m.

A mountain bike friend bought a few for herself and her kids from these guys, she was very happy the bags and contents:

http://earthquakekit.biz/

March 3, 2016, 12:04 p.m.

I pretty much just built a giant camping kit. Theres a gov link that has a list or what to have, build around that

yeah bro!!

March 3, 2016, 1:54 p.m.

I built one up myself, fortunately having older backpacking gear is helpful. Once you have a stove and some fuel it opens up having canned food which is way cheaper and palattable than those sugar bars. Plus cans basically last forever.

If you are anywhere near a water source, a lifestraw or something similar solves the water problem.

My biggest issue is where to keep it. If the house is standing, then I have access to all our food in the pantry etc…if the house falls down (and we survive) then the kit will be in the rubble. I am kind of thinking outside in a shed.

March 3, 2016, 2:23 p.m.

Went to a presentation a couple of years ago by Delta Police, he recommended keeping a kit in the trunk of your car. Most of the time you are within walking distance of it, and if your house collapses you can still access it.

March 3, 2016, 3:43 p.m.

Went to a presentation a couple of years ago by Delta Police, he recommended keeping a kit in the trunk of your car. Most of the time you are within walking distance of it, and if your house collapses you can still access it.

Great idea except with a family of 5 our kit has filled an 80L rubbermaid tote!

March 3, 2016, 3:45 p.m.

That doesn't seem that practical for a family of four. The water requirements alone would be trailing a lot of stuff around.

March 3, 2016, 3:59 p.m.

A mountain bike friend bought a few for herself and her kids from these guys, she was very happy the bags and contents:

http://earthquakekit.biz/

That looks pretty good. I'd probably add a pair of good workboots.

www.natooke.com

March 3, 2016, 4 p.m.

I've heard somewhere up high in the house is best. Like on top of a bookcase or something, so it ends up on top of rubble as opposed to under it.

www.natooke.com

March 3, 2016, 6:18 p.m.

I have put aside water and a good water filter with some tabs to kill the bad stuff as well as freeze dried hiking food. Some of what we have now is good till 2022. Use when out camping then replenish; by due date of course.

March 3, 2016, 8:08 p.m.

Do you guys have a disaster kit?

Aside from the obvious, what kind of stuff do you keep in it? Realized we were pretty lacking in preparedness recently so we're gonna be disaster kit shopping this weekend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2g8cplYa_DE

Good starting point. But keep in mind you also have to look at where you live to further expand and what other things to consider.

Living outside of large urban centers will bring additional kit needs.

Not earthquake related but…

When we bought our house here, talked to a buddy who talked about year round he kept his BBQ in his garage. He talked about the year of the huge ice storm out here and no power for a long time. Makes sense…sheltered, can open garage door and still cook food. Do the same and twice now when it was really cold and no power could cook food and such in winter.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

March 3, 2016, 8:21 p.m.

All our camping gear and equipment is stored in the attic. Hopefully if the house collapses we'll be OK and still be able to get to it.

March 3, 2016, 8:29 p.m.

ima just gonna use mah guns and git what i need from dem folks who done stocked up real good.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

March 3, 2016, 8:37 p.m.

lifestraw for sure and that's something that can go in the car too. all the usual stuff like space blakets, canned fish and lentils/corn for easy meals that don't need to be cooked. for bigger families one of those plastic deck boxes works great as storage to keep things dry. also consider any special needs family members may have such as medications - keep an extra 1-2 months supply on hand and make a note to rotate it out at least 6 months before the expiry date.

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.extra-large-deck-box.1000702572.html

oh and don't forget every kit needs a few cnas of these:

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

March 3, 2016, 10:46 p.m.

Great idea except with a family of 5 our kit has filled an 80L rubbermaid tote!

I don't think he was talking about the whole kit, just enough stuff to last a day or so. If you have your car, you also have shelter.