Dirtiest Oil on Earth

June 10, 2012, 12:14 p.m.

On the whole I disagree with "If you oppose X, you support Y!" statements.

As far as oil consumption and terrorism go a more accurate statement would be:

If you support illegal drugs, you support terrorism.

June 10, 2012, 12:33 p.m.

Anyone against oil (no matter where it comes from) that lives in Canada and buys even one
banana or mango is full of shit.

Anyone against oil and it's effects on our planet and drives a car is full of shit.

Anyone worried about over development or the "raping" of our natural resources and has more
than two kids is full of shit.

On the other hand, if you think the world can continue to use oil at the present rate or
more for much longer, you're fooling yourself.

If you think ANY oil is clean, you're fooling yourself.

Anyone who watches, listens or reads the news (from any source) and doesn't realize that
it is ALL biased and hyperbole is an idiot. I'd say there's some truth in tungstens posts
and there's some in the oil industry folks posts, and a whole bunch of bullshit in both.
All I know is no one here knows the 100% truth.

"i surf because, i"m always a better person when i come in"-Andy Irons

June 10, 2012, 1:09 p.m.

All I know is no one here knows the 100% truth.

I disagree.

Wiping your ass with a pine cone wrapped in poison ivy is a bad idea - 100% truth.

June 10, 2012, 2:50 p.m.

unless the only alternative is wiping with devils club wrapped in stinging nettle and poison oak.

That's the problem with cities, they're refuges for the weak, the fish that didn't evolve.

I don't want to google this - sounds like a thing that NSMB will be better at.

June 10, 2012, 3:12 p.m.

All of you folks who are concerned about the devastating possibilities of tanker traffic through the Queen Charlottes: I dare you to get rid of your cars. Every. Last. One.

Here's why: There are approximately 2.5 million people who live in the lower mainland. I think it would be a safe estimate that there are nearly 2 million vehicles that are owned by those people, as well as public transit and transport vehicles. All vehicles have the chance to leak a liter of oil here and there, and many do. That oil goes into your storm drains, and out in to the ocean via the Frasier or a straight shot into the bays.

Take a look in the mirror you hypocrites, and clean up your own act before you tell people who are taking every precaution possible to keep their activities clean that they're in the wrong. Boom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omUuWxP8YFU

June 10, 2012, 3:20 p.m.

that's kinda clutching at straws to say if you own a car you MUST allow massive tankers to float through haida gwaii
just like not every car leaks a liter of oil instantly flows down the storm drain and into the ocean or whatever point you were trying to make is extremely far fetched

Ha Ha! Made you look.

June 10, 2012, 3:21 p.m.

I would love nothing more than to get a whole whack of people out of their ridiculous cars. I see morons drive to their fucking mail box FFS.
such waste has to be called out and ridiculed.

Ha Ha! Made you look.

June 10, 2012, 3:27 p.m.

I would love nothing more than to get a whole whack of people out of their ridiculous cars. I see morons drive to their fucking mail box FFS.
such waste has to be called out and ridiculed.

How many drips come out of the 'yota? If you park or drive on streets, those drop straight into the ocean via storm drains… trying to find it now, I read somewhere that the equivalent of the Exxon Valdez dribbles into the Pugot Sound from Seattle every other year… I can't imajin that Vancouver is any better…

I'm saying before you try to rid yourself of tanker traffic, rid yourself of the damage that's actually occurring.

EDIT:

The first flush from urban runoff can be extremely dirty. Storm water may become contaminated while running down the road or other impervious surface, or from lawn chemical run-off, before entering the drain.

Water running off these impervious surfaces tends to pick up gasoline, motor oil, heavy metals, trash and other pollutants from roadways and parking lots, as well as fertilizers and pesticides from lawns. Roads and parking lots are major sources of nickel, copper, zinc, cadmium, lead and polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs), which are created as combustion byproducts of gasoline and other fossil fuels. Roof runoff contributes high levels of synthetic organic compounds and zinc (from galvanized gutters). Fertilizer use on residential lawns, parks and golf courses is a significant source of nitrates and phosphorus.

Separation of undesired runoff can be done by installing devices within the storm sewer system. These devices are new to the market and can only be installed with new development or during major upgrades. They are referred to as oil-grit separators (OGS) or oil-sediment separators (OSS). They consist of a specialized manhole chamber, and use the water flow and/or gravity to separate oil and grit.[4]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Storm_drain#Water_quality

June 10, 2012, 3:34 p.m.

How many drips come out of the 'yota? If you park or drive on streets, those drop straight into the ocean via storm drains… trying to find it now, I read somewhere that the equivalent of the Exxon Valdez dribbles into the Pugot Sound from Seattle every other year… I can't imajin that Vancouver is any better…

I'm saying before you try to rid yourself of tanker traffic, rid yourself of the damage that's actually occurring.

mine don't leak
and if cars do leak oil it mostly gets absorbed by the asphalt and stains, not dripping directly into the storm drain and therefore ocean as you make it out to be.

Ha Ha! Made you look.

June 10, 2012, 3:48 p.m.

Currently, you treat your storm drain water. You're "upgrading" to direct dumps in the Frasier river. Albertans and oil companies are the bad guys, while your own city council is moving away from a clean system in favor or openly dumping waste into your rivers and oceans. You folks make no sense to me politically.

http://vancouver.ca/commsvcs/licandinsp/inspections/environment/faqs.htm#stormdrains1

Q: What happens to water that enters the storm drains?
A: Currently the City of Vancouver is in the process of converting from a combined to a separated sewer system. In the combined system, rainwater and sewage are collected together into one pipe and the liquid waste is conveyed out to the Iona Island or Annacis Island Wastewater Treatment Plants. In the separated system, stormwater is conveyed directly into surrounding water bodies. Stormwater outfalls are located on the Fraser River , Still Creek, Burrard Inlet , False Creek and English Bay. The separated system is advantageous as it reduces the occurrence of combined sewer overflows which can happen during periods of heavy rain. During a combined sewer overflow stormwater and wastewater is discharged untreated directly into local water bodies. The City's goal is to eliminate all combined sewer overflows by 2050.

June 10, 2012, 4:03 p.m.

http://oceanlink.info/ocean_matters/oil.html

Oil spills are actually just a small percent of the total world oil pollution problem. According to one study there are about 706 million gallons of oil pollution in a given year. That is a massive amount of oil! The following chart shows different types of oil pollution.

Get over yourself dude. Not everyone that drives a car is full of shit for being concern about the effect they are having on the planet. Your arguments are broad and carry little meaning. Two kids? Where did that number come from? Your magic 8 ball?

In no way am I saying I don't eat bananas or mangos or drive a car…I do. I just don't
post videos saying that I'm so fucking special that I can tell everyone how great I am
for posting a video on the internet. What I was pointing out is the hypocrisy of many
people that act holier than thou. Being concerned is a bullshit thing. Showing concern
would have far more weight. Example: Al Gore, great movie, shows us some good information
yet he lives in huge houses, flies all over the place and generally has a rather large
carbon footprint. My point are in no way broad, and they carry as much meaning as your
or anyone else's "opinion" here.

I'd be far more impressed if a homeless man digging through the trash told me it was
a choice so reduce his footprint.

As far as 2 children…if everyone who wants to have a child on this planet only had two
we would have a negative population growth. The only assumption I make is that less people
on this planet would be good for our long term future as a species. And it's a belief
held by almost everyone who studies this kind of thing.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overpopulation

"i surf because, i"m always a better person when i come in"-Andy Irons

June 10, 2012, 4:17 p.m.

Get over yourself dude. Not everyone that drives a car is full of shit for being concern about the effect they are having on the planet. Your arguments are broad and carry little meaning. Two kids? Where did that number come from? Your magic 8 ball?

Do I detect a touch of cognitive dissonance coming from your direction? Oil is bad, let me drive my car… what's more arrogant, standing up against big oil while also contributing to the massive glut of pollution and over population that the planet faces (I get to say that… kids=0) or working for oil and driving a car? This level of hypocrisy has always confused me.

June 10, 2012, 4:46 p.m.

Currently, you treat your storm drain water. You're "upgrading" to direct dumps in the Frasier river. Albertans and oil companies are the bad guys, while your own city council is moving away from a clean system in favor or openly dumping waste into your rivers and oceans. You folks make no sense to me politically.

http://vancouver.ca/commsvcs/licandinsp/inspections/environment/faqs.htm#stormdrains1

The reason that it's an upgraded system is that it reduces the number of times that the sewage system has to dump directly into rivers and oceans - which currently is after every heavy rainfall. I think you'll agree we get some rain here. It does mean that rainwater and the stuff that comes with it (road drippings, etc) ends up being untreated but the idea is that this is a better trade-off than dumping raw sewage.

Nothing to do with it not making sense politically. It just makes sense environmentally.

June 10, 2012, 4:50 p.m.

actually..
victoria collectively aqua dumps into the juan de fuca straight.
and thats shit, not just storm drain..

Ha Ha! Made you look.

June 10, 2012, 5:49 p.m.

Yeah that's BS. Two kids is two too many. We need a massive cull of human population. Not the 80 million we keep adding every year.

Unfortunately that doesn't mesh with the insanity of the growth model.

"I do like how you generally bring an open-minded and positive vibe to the threads you participate in"

- Morgman