Dirtiest Oil on Earth

June 9, 2012, 9:22 p.m.

They are oil sands, not tar sands you worthless commie pinko bastard.

And anyone who is against the oil sands supports terrorism. Plain and simple. Personally, I would prefer to reduce western dependence on middle eastern oil.

Nope, they're tar sands. Bitumen isn't sweet crude.

Oh and you're not Curtis Lemay are you?

"I do like how you generally bring an open-minded and positive vibe to the threads you participate in"

- Morgman

June 9, 2012, 9:36 p.m.

i'll admit to being somewhat of an environmentalist, but I'd also like to think i'm a realist at the same time. Yes the tar sands suck, but where else are we going to get our oil? The problem i have is all the BS enbridge keeps throwing around: creating thousands of jobs and creating a future for our province? - yeah right! What if the pipeline ended in prince george and there was a refinery built there instead of sending another raw commodity overseas like we already do with our timber? I know shit all about refineries or anything about processing crude oil, but would it really be that difficult to do something like this in BC or else where in canada? It would keep jobs in canada and prevent certain environmental disasters along our coast.

On a side note -

On May 18, 2010 Enbridge's Line 6B, which supplies refineries in the Great Lakes with Alberta bitumen, ruptured and spilled 20,000 barrels of diluted bitumen, a poorly studied mix of hydrocarbons, into Michigan's Kalamazoo River. Clean-up and remediation costs now total $765-million but only three of 39 miles of river contaminated have been reopened.

Yet Enbridge's current insurance policy only covers $575-million worth of damages or nearly $200 million less than the Kalamazoo spill. The Northern Gateway project alone would cross nearly 700 fish-bearing watercourses in some of the nation's most mountainous terrain.

not trying to stir shit up. I just don't know and would like someone in the know to splain things.

June 9, 2012, 9:38 p.m.

Stop telling us Albertans how we feel about oil relations, most of us aren't pissed… the company and the ERCB have been quick to react and get bodies where they were most needed to prevent a catastrophic extension of this spill. I happen to know the team lead for one of the major clean up companies involved in this, it should back to normal within the year.

I fixed your link, too, n00b.

so you're saying that all the fish and wildlife that inhabitat that lake will be back to normal in about year? cancer free?

June 9, 2012, 10:11 p.m.

what are you trying to accomplish by putting up the video and complaining about the oil sands? If you're not happy with the process then look for solutions to fix the problem. It's very simple to focus on these high profile mistakes but they've made amazing advances already. I've been working in the oil sands for 2 and a half years now and it's amazing how little the protesters actually know about anything.

It was like when the coker exploded and lit on fire at CRNL, there was people on the net saying they hope people got killed… seriously?

It's not going to end, it just can't. So why not try and help come up with solutions instead of being like the frog lady…

June 9, 2012, 10:11 p.m.

so you're saying that all the fish and wildlife that inhabitat that lake will be back to normal in about year? cancer free?

I know. I LOL'd too.

Maybe the well funded Envirionment Canada will monitor it… Or the self regulating oil industry will let us know when everything is back to the natural, evolved over millions years, state.

"I do like how you generally bring an open-minded and positive vibe to the threads you participate in"

- Morgman

June 9, 2012, 11:46 p.m.

When will the so called environmentalist talk about the root cause of all these issues? Overpopulation. Saint David Suzuki has five children. Hypocrite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkgDhDa4HHo

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
— Sigmund Freud

:canada: :usa:

June 9, 2012, 11:46 p.m.

What will you hunt, homies?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbqrgxoBwl4

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

June 9, 2012, 11:51 p.m.

What does a taxi cab driver in BC know about the Alberta oil sands anyways, and why should we care what he thinks?

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
— Sigmund Freud

:canada: :usa:

June 10, 2012, 1:08 a.m.

i'll admit to being somewhat of an environmentalist, but I'd also like to think i'm a realist at the same time. Yes the tar sands suck, but where else are we going to get our oil? The problem i have is all the BS enbridge keeps throwing around: creating thousands of jobs and creating a future for our province? - yeah right! What if the pipeline ended in prince george and there was a refinery built there instead of sending another raw commodity overseas like we already do with our timber? I know shit all about refineries or anything about processing crude oil, but would it really be that difficult to do something like this in BC or else where in canada? It would keep jobs in canada and prevent certain environmental disasters along our coast.

On a side note -

not trying to stir shit up. I just don't know and would like someone in the know to splain things.

This is a good read:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/story/2012/04/20/oil-refining-canada.html

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

June 10, 2012, 5:09 a.m.

Doesn't most of the oil extracted from the tar sands get exported to my neck of the
woods?

www.natooke.com

June 10, 2012, 7:30 a.m.

Doesn't most of the oil extracted from the tar sands get exported to my neck of the
woods?

It goes pretty even to the southern states for refining and distribution, and to Vancouver/Ontario for distribution. You likely get less than half of it right now, which is unfortunate for us, because the raw product is quite a bit more expensive there - hence, the Sinopec purchase of Daylight and the Petro-China partnership with multiple oil sands projects. Selling crude to China is a win-win from a business perspective. The price will go down in Asia from the increase in supply, and the price goes up for producers given the increase in demand. Our spot markets can be up to 20 dollars apart.

June 10, 2012, 7:41 a.m.

As someone who has been working in Fort McMurray for four years and owns a house there, there is so much misinformation on both sides of this fence.
The Tar Sands are never going away. Tar Sands are also a whole lot better then going over seas and killing "colored folks" for their oil. Is it perfect? NO. Can it be cleaner? YES. So stop pissing up a rope and help. Get involved in any way you can. It is not going to happen over night and sounding like a dirty hippie is not helping anything. I know it may sound trivial but I am on the Safety and spill response team at my work, I am also part of the heath and safety comity. In the roles that I taken on with in the company that I work for I am able to affect change with in the company.

The one thing I think we should all agree on is that that pipe line needs to stop!!!! All it is going to do export jobs and money to other countries. Very short term gains for very long term lose and damage.

is going big on a bike the only way to get you stoked on the sport? what happened to riding with your bros, travelling, and riding unique places, to get people stoked on riding?

fines are useless. there needs to be more punches to the throat.

June 10, 2012, 9:27 a.m.

Ha Ha! Made you look.

June 10, 2012, 11:01 a.m.

ANYONE WHO IS AGAINST THE OIL SANDS SUPPORTS TERRORISM

June 10, 2012, 12:01 p.m.

"Upwards of 3,000 barrels of oil - about 470,000 litres - leaked Thursday from Plains Midstream Canada's Rangeland Pipeline into Jackson Creek, a tributary of the Red Deer River near Sundre.

Johnston said he had 165 head of cattle on his land, but another spill in the mid-90s and increased oil production forced him to find new grazing grounds for his cows.

"I can't raise beef here anymore because there's too much oil activity," he said. "

http://www.sunnewsnetwork.ca/sunnews/canada/archives/2012/06/20120610-091508.html

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.