Did I get scammed out of $675 from a guy in BC?

March 21, 2006, 10:30 a.m.

Well it's been a little while since I posted, and I'm going to call on the knowledge of nsmb once again.

Let's just start this off by saying I'm not an idiot about overseas scammers, western union money transfers, money grams, and all of that bs silly people sometimes fall for. I've done a ton of internet deals in the past, and never been ripped off.

This case, however, may be different. About a month ago I started searching for a used D70. I found an ad on buysell.com for a D70S (body only) for $800, apparently based out of Golden, BC. I offered the guy $650, he said no, and we finally settled on $675.

Here's where it gets interesting. I wanted to go the paypal route, but instead he suggested a direct deposit into his rbs bank account. I figured this was safe enough, as rbs only guves out named accounts, correct? (this is crucial, so if anyone knows for sure I would be greatful).

So I transfered the money and he said his wife put it in the mail the next day. Well I wated 2 weeks and started to get anxious. He still returned all of my e-mails and said he put a 48 hour package locating service on it from canada post. Two days later it supposedly comes back to him because it had the wrong address on it.

Now he has snt it out again, but it;s been another 2 and a half weeks and I haven't gotten ANYTHING. I'm starting to get very worried, and my dad's talking to the guy at rbc we get our mortgage and stuff from.

So what's your judgement? Have I been ripped off? If so, will the bank be able to get the money back? Anyone live in Golden, give me a PM just in case you have heard of this guy in the community?

Just sitting here stewing all pissed off that I may have lost a pretty decent sum of cash.

March 21, 2006, 11:08 a.m.

kinda sketchy…i personally stick to ebay but….give it another week and then see.

[email protected]
My bike eats danger and craps victory!:canada:
It takes 43 muscles in the face to frown but only 4 muscles to extend your arm and bitchslap that mofo in the face!
I am the sculpture made out of clay…

I like all bran its makes your poop float. :)

March 21, 2006, 11:11 a.m.

Well it's been a little while since I posted, and I'm going to call on the knowledge of nsmb once again.

Let's just start this off by saying I'm not an idiot about overseas scammers, western union money transfers, money grams, and all of that bs silly people sometimes fall for. I've done a ton of internet deals in the past, and never been ripped off.

This case, however, may be different. About a month ago I started searching for a used D70. I found an ad on buysell.com for a D70S (body only) for $800, apparently based out of Golden, BC. I offered the guy $650, he said no, and we finally settled on $675.

Here's where it gets interesting. I wanted to go the paypal route, but instead he suggested a direct deposit into his rbs bank account. I figured this was safe enough, as rbs only guves out named accounts, correct? (this is crucial, so if anyone knows for sure I would be greatful).

So I transfered the money and he said his wife put it in the mail the next day. Well I wated 2 weeks and started to get anxious. He still returned all of my e-mails and said he put a 48 hour package locating service on it from canada post. Two days later it supposedly comes back to him because it had the wrong address on it.

Now he has snt it out again, but it;s been another 2 and a half weeks and I haven't gotten ANYTHING. I'm starting to get very worried, and my dad's talking to the guy at rbc we get our mortgage and stuff from.

So what's your judgement? Have I been ripped off? If so, will the bank be able to get the money back? Anyone live in Golden, give me a PM just in case you have heard of this guy in the community?

Just sitting here stewing all pissed off that I may have lost a pretty decent sum of cash.

was the package insured with Cnd Post?

March 21, 2006, 11:22 a.m.

Is he still returning your emails? If he did actually send it, he should be able to find out where it is. Try calling him on the phone, people are sometimes less dishonest when they can't hide behind a keyboard.

March 21, 2006, 11:25 a.m.

the fact that he is still answering your emails is a good idea.

Why dont you get his address or something from the bank(if thats possible) and give him a little visit

BATTLECAT

March 21, 2006, 11:42 a.m.

Try to get a phone number and give him a ring. If he refuses, you might have a scammer.

March 21, 2006, 12:11 p.m.

Once the wire is made and received on his end, there is no way of reversing the process again to get your money back.

Wait it out a few more days then contact your local police to give them all the info you have.

Toyota 4Runner - Caged, Geared, Locked and Eatin Rock!

March 21, 2006, 12:29 p.m.

Why dont you get his address or something from the bank(if thats possible) and give him a little visit

Not possible. Banks can't even give that info to the rcmp without a warrant. Although whenever anyone called about a defaulted student loan I broke every law there was and handed out any info I could, since that's my taxes :D

I'd definitely try giving him a call, sounds like the best bet. Unfortunately you deposited the funds directly into his account if I'm reading it correctly, and the bank doesn't care who deposited it, they can't legally give you that money back once it's in his account.

March 21, 2006, 1:10 p.m.

is there anything strictly "illegal" about saying "i'll sell you this d70 and just give me the cash…" and then not giving him a d70?

March 21, 2006, 1:18 p.m.

is there anything strictly "illegal" about saying "i'll sell you this d70 and just give me the cash…" and then not giving him a d70?

:clap:

son?? your 15, you should just be glad ross isnt gay

March 21, 2006, 3:07 p.m.

Well the update is that I have his phone number and address, and it turns out he's in Calgary, not Golden. Also the account the money was wired to is dead empty.

I'm going to talk to him, and I know some people that can pay him a visit if push comes to shove.

March 21, 2006, 3:10 p.m.

good luck…

~To Master The Art Of Flying Is To Throw Yourself At The Ground And Miss~
[email protected]

PSP FOR SALE

March 21, 2006, 4:21 p.m.

yah it's called mail fraud

My photos | Green Avocado

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.

Guns kill people just like pens cause spelling mistakes, cars create drunk drivers and spoons create fat people.

PM me to learn how to use credit card bonuses to fly for free.

March 21, 2006, 5:12 p.m.

do you know anyone in calgary? maybe you could get them to go get it from him, and they can ship it to you

that is why if no local is selling what I need, I'll go to a bike shop

That's the problem with cities, they're refuges for the weak, the fish that didn't evolve.

I don't want to google this - sounds like a thing that NSMB will be better at.

March 21, 2006, 6:02 p.m.

yea, you broke rule number one of buying shit over the internet. never give money directly to the buyer with the promise of "then ill stick it in the mail…"