Dental Plan

May 24, 2016, 10:36 p.m.

I got mine pulled out at UBC dentistry school by a couple of students for cheap (like 90% less than any dentist in the area). I'm not sure they pull wisdom teeth in the summer semester but you could call to ask. I didn't have any problems after getting them pulled.

Mine came out easy. If they are impacted or what have you. It may a bit of a job.

People always ask me what's the phenomenon
Yo what's up? Yo what's goin' on- Adam Yauch

May 25, 2016, 9:52 a.m.

Hint - thats $828 out of your pocket to get $600 of service, plus you pay the difference to the dentist.

Well, ok, I will eventually use their other services as well which includes massage/vision/chripractor etc.

Plus, I travel to the states for work, so travel insurance is a must, which is included.

Price plan is 69$ / month

May 25, 2016, 10:06 a.m.

Dental insurance plans usually have wait periods after you first sign up.
And in the end they cost the same per year as the average plan usage rate.
So that makes them … a non-starter for many small organizations.
Why pay for a plan the same amount that you can pay for treatment every year?
Two of my extractions were done by a visiting 'dental student' at my dentists office.
And it was not too expensive but the guy didn't exactly have a gentle touch.
Just don't get dry-post syndrome. When they say to keep that blood clot on it … they mean it!

May 25, 2016, 1:23 p.m.

How much are they charging for the extraction?

Dental work prices are really high. $4K fit a root canal, and implants are incredibly expensive.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

May 25, 2016, 2:58 p.m.

Well, ok, I will eventually use their other services as well which includes massage/vision/chripractor etc.

Plus, I travel to the states for work, so travel insurance is a must, which is included.

Price plan is 69$ / month

Read the fine print … a lot of them don't cover massage therapy (unless you have an MD's note, in which case your deductible may only be around 30% the cost). Also, many only cover something like $20 of the $60-$90 cost of physiotherapist visit. Travel insurance is usually pretty cheap in the grand scheme of things unless you have a preexisting medical condition ….

May 25, 2016, 6:27 p.m.

Word on the street is that some dentists in certain cases, can split the tooth, pull out the necessary chunks, then pour a permanent resin on top that hardens [HTML_REMOVED] good to go. Does not work in all cases.They are also using fiberglass tools that carry no positive or negative charge. That way if they touch the mandibular or lingual nerve, there is less chance of damage. That's just what I hear.

Thread killer

May 27, 2016, 9:58 a.m.

Save your money. The dental plan is a money loser. I retired last summer after a long career that included a Dental plan. So I got myself a Dental plan. My dentist was horrified at what I was paying for a plan (PBC) that has so many exclusions that the best you would ever do is break even. (Expenses vs premiums) At the dentist's suggestion I cancelled the plan.
Or find a job that has good benefits that include a Dental plan, Braces are freaking expensive. My adult children do have nice teeth though … ;)

May 27, 2016, 10:47 a.m.

I think since I was 16 yrs old the dentists of the world have been telling me I need to get my wisdom teeth taken out….32 yrs later, during each routine cleaning I get to hear their sales pitch that I really should get them taken out….not that that helps the OP at all.

I've heard(just rumour) that if you get all your wisdom teeth pulled at the same time and they put you under to do it, that it can be covered under your medical plan. That rumour could be full of shit but a simple visit to the doc could answer that…or maybe just a few minutes of google.

My sister used to get her dental work done at UBC and had positive results.

May 27, 2016, 10:49 a.m.

i was bored…..

http://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/health/health-drug-coverage/msp/bc-residents/benefits/services-covered-by-msp/medical-benefits

"* The removal of healthy wisdom teeth, even if impacted, is not a benefit. Surgical removal of an impacted third molar (wisdom tooth) is an MSP insured service only when hospitalization is medically required, due to the extreme complexity of the extraction and where there is associated pathology."

Jan. 4, 2021, 12:12 p.m.

I just had a cracked back molar removed for about 300$ including xray

sometimes you need to get a dental  surgeon but the whizz kid figured he could do it

buddy had a real bitch of a time