demise of detroit?

July 19, 2013, 8:22 a.m.

This is only the beginning.

America is collapsing and the next few years will be historic.

www.natooke.com

July 19, 2013, 8:36 a.m.

I would suggest that perhaps Canada buy Detroit….but then we already have Toronto….so….

viperfunk.com

July 19, 2013, 8:38 a.m.

People have been saying that since there was an America. While I don't doubt that there are some changes coming in social assistance that may be historic, the whole country won't collapse.

July 19, 2013, 8:45 a.m.

No. It has nothing to do with hipsters (the people I know who live there aren't hipsters but actually people who ride BMX and have started a pretty great DIY spot in a park: http://detroit.curbed.com/archives/2013/05/brush-park-bmx-extreme-sports-in-an-abandoned-park.php). And what does art have to do with hipsters? I'm an artist (at least I think so) and I'm not a hipster (not even like being called a hipster is a bad thing anyways, especially when you go back to the root of the word where it originally came from). I don't think they accept poverty as cool (nor do they really live in poverty much) but when you're an artist, you don't make much so you do tend to navigate to a place where housing is cheap. It just happens a bunch of artists, punks, and like minded people who tend to pay attention to culture and care about it, have navigated towards Detroit because it is cheap to live/squat/etc. Nothing wrong with that at all.

Detroit also has a very good art museum/collection, but that may now be under threat because of this but hopefully they can keep the collection they have. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heidelberg_Project Plus they have this which adds to the art scene. Detroit most likely will be some sort of arts/culture hub in the future because of how cheap the city is, and (sadly) how in ruins a lot of the buildings and stuff are…

call it what you like, but when the country's economy is collapsing - people don't buy art. You may want to invest in some other life skills other than squatting culture.

July 19, 2013, 8:46 a.m.

I would suggest that perhaps Canada buy Detroit….but then we already have Toronto….so….

and all of Quebec

July 19, 2013, 8:48 a.m.

Scary that this type of thing is even possible. Mark Cuban once said something that I thought was brilliant. Take every house that's empty in America and level them, even houses that banks foreclosed on. Overnight the value of existing houses would go up, might be a positive boost.

July 19, 2013, 8:57 a.m.

You may be right but if America goes down (Europe is following as well) the rest of the world will follow. China will be no exception, that's the problem no one country is immune to this, it's all a big chain. My biggest fear is I hope it doesn't lead to war…

http://www.epiccyclist.com/

July 19, 2013, 9:28 a.m.

call it what you like, but when the country's economy is collapsing - people don't buy art. You may want to invest in some other life skills other than squatting culture.

Funny, since one of the articles says the City of Detroit plans to sell off some of it's artwork collection (Picasso, van Gogh and Bruegel)to pay down it's debt.

"only the good riders wipe out on the easy stuff" - Heathen

July 19, 2013, 10:09 a.m.

Picasso vs Punk rock. hmmm

July 19, 2013, 12:27 p.m.

. While I don't doubt that there are some changes coming in social assistance that may be historic, .

What? I thought Bill Clinton already went there. Oh wait, you're speaking of the coming rape of Social Security by Obummer and his Wall St. cronies?

http://www.amazon.com/Failure-Capitalism-Economic-Dissolution-ebook/dp/B00BLPJNWE/?tag=paulcraigrobe-20

They tried man, they tried….

http://www.afscme.org/news/press-room/press-releases/2013/statement-by-afscme-pres-lee-saunders-on-detroit-bankruptcy-filing

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

July 19, 2013, 1:29 p.m.

People have short memories

"How close was New York City to bankruptcy in 1975?

So close that the city's lawyers were in State Supreme Court filing a bankruptcy petition.

So close that police cars were mobilized to serve the papers on the banks.

So close that aides to Mayor Abraham D. Beame had written a statement announcing the default along with an emergency effort to save the city's dwindling cash for vital services like police and fire protection.

That close."

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/12/05/nyregion/recalling-new-york-at-the-brink-of-bankruptcy.html

Its happened before, and it will happen again … the USA's GDP is still about double that of China ($15.7 billion versus $8 billion) with only about 1/4 the population.

July 19, 2013, 2:31 p.m.

This article is worth reading:

Detroit bankruptcy: Is it a warning sign of things to come?
Detroit's financial meltdown has lessons for Canada and the rest of the global economy, Don Pittis writes
http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/story/2013/07/19/f-vp-pittis-detroit-business.html

A few quotes:

"But somewhere between 1960, when Detroit had the highest income per person in the United States, and now, the city fell into a vicious circle of decline."

"Nearly half the population is now functionally illiterate."

"Part of Whitney's analysis is especially interesting to Canada. Looking at the American experience, she says that the accumulation of debt in places that were formerly prosperous is contributing to a population shift to areas like the Midwest and the Dakotas, the former "flyover" states."

"North of the border, we are seeing something similar as the old industrial areas of Canada struggle to deal with debt while the prairie provinces boom. In some ways Detroit is an analogy and a warning to the rest of the global economy."

July 19, 2013, 2:52 p.m.

good example of why you shouldn't put all your eggs in one economic basket….coughTARSANDScoughcough

July 19, 2013, 3:02 p.m.

Ahem, the Tar Sands communities are clearly booming in large truck and cocaine sales as well.

viperfunk.com

July 19, 2013, 3:43 p.m.

Ahem, the Tar Sands communities are clearly booming in large truck and cocaine sales as well.

You would think that would help Detroit out,but Ford at least builds their real trucks in Kentucky (and preassembles a lot of components in Mehico).

Pastor of Muppets