demise of detroit?

July 19, 2013, 3:57 p.m.

"Part of Whitney's analysis is especially interesting to Canada. Looking at the American experience, she says that the accumulation of debt in places that were formerly prosperous is contributing to a population shift to areas like the Midwest and the Dakotas, the former "flyover" states."

"North of the border, we are seeing something similar as the old industrial areas of Canada struggle to deal with debt while the prairie provinces boom. In some ways Detroit is an analogy and a warning to the rest of the global economy."

Totally predictable as that part of the economy that produced things was shipped offshore what is left except for work in extractive fields?

Sidebar: The Mpls./St.Paul area and its profusion of "light" manufacturing/assembly jobs became a mecca of sorts for those displaced from heavy industry/automotive jobs disappearing in the rust belt, but with the advent of NAFTA soon even those jobs vanished.

Now the state's construction/meat processing industries are filled with undocumented's with their eye on the front door and a foot out the back door……..

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

July 19, 2013, 5:12 p.m.

call it what you like, but when the country's economy is collapsing - people don't buy art. You may want to invest in some other life skills other than squatting culture.

I'm just going to disagree with this, cause your view on what art may be is probably limited to what art really is. (Note: it's all around you) Squatting culture is pretty small in Detroit I think, unlike somewhere like Oakland/other parts of California… Nothing really wrong with squatting culture either. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaWN5_N5Ei8

www.ryanrose.ca

Yeah?

July 19, 2013, 10:35 p.m.

Nothing really wrong with squatting culture either.

What part of productive member of society is so difficult for you to grasp?

Then again, if I had no hope of ever creating value I guess I would rationalize it the same way. People like you are the reason that people like me have to give the government half their paycheque in Canada.

That's the problem with cities, they're refuges for the weak, the fish that didn't evolve.

I don't want to google this - sounds like a thing that NSMB will be better at.

July 19, 2013, 10:47 p.m.

Then again, if I had no hope of ever creating value I guess I would rationalize it the same way. People like you are the reason that people like me have to give the government half their paycheque in Canada.

Oh good….Farmer joined the thread. Now we can start our mensa meeting.

I didn't know that squatters were responsible for appropriate tax rates,universal healthcare,cpp, subsidized post secondary,etc,etc costs!

Pastor of Muppets

July 19, 2013, 10:48 p.m.

Wow, that is a narrow minded opinion Farmer. To be fair, most of the people I know who are "leaching" of the system are trades workers who work for the summer then get "laid off" and collect welfare all winter. And these trades people are a lot better off income wise than a lot of the artsy people I know. I am not knocking trades, just showing that these so called productive members of society aren't necessarily that. And also, to be clear, I am neither an artsy person nor a trades person.

(I am jealous, I'd love to have part of a year paid by welfare)

July 20, 2013, 2:57 a.m.

It's not difficult to grasp at all. If you watched the video I posted, he seems to be a productive member of society… He pays taxes, cares about the environment (wait, this may be counter to productive for you though), etc, etc. Value isn't just measured in monetary gain though, but you will think otherwise on this, so there is no sense in trying to make a point about that. PS: No we're not. It's most of the Canada, and their care for others and not so much themselves that are the reason one pays a lot of taxes here. For you know… services.

You're probably like the guy who was on the bus today arguing to an Aboriginal person about how it wasn't him that effected them, but the Europeans from a few centuries ago. In reality, he was just making excuses about his white privilege (which you may believe such a thing doesn't exist).

www.ryanrose.ca

Yeah?

July 20, 2013, 3:35 a.m.

You're probably like the guy who was on the bus today arguing to an Aboriginal person about how it wasn't him that effected them, but the Europeans from a few centuries ago. In reality, he was just making excuses about his white privilege (which you may believe such a thing doesn't exist).

I'm like that guy. I'm also like everyone else who likes a free education; why cant I or Gurjit get one? Oh right, must be the white privilege.

protect tom mcdonald at all costs

July 20, 2013, 7:24 a.m.

Bang on farmer…I for one am tired of seeing $2500.00 in income tax deducted from my paycheques. For what,to support those too lazy to work or those that claim they are too encumbered by their pasts to support themselves.

(I realize not all of our taxes go to social programs, but these entitlements are killing us)

July 20, 2013, 7:52 a.m.

But didn't you hear? Because we worked hard to get to where we are, it is our responsibility to pay for those who have no intention of paying their share of the programs they use.

I was about to go off topic on subsidized education, but I think I will start a new thread instead.

That's the problem with cities, they're refuges for the weak, the fish that didn't evolve.

July 20, 2013, 12:25 p.m.

I'm like that guy. I'm also like everyone else who likes a free education; why cant I or Gurjit get one? Oh right, must be the white privilege.

I don't think "free" education, that our taxes pay for is truly white privilege because people of all races do get a free education here. I guess, to a degree, it would be white privilege. But this guy on the bus was something else.

www.ryanrose.ca

Yeah?

July 20, 2013, 8:56 p.m.

Bang on farmer…I for one am tired of seeing $2500.00 in income tax deducted from my paycheques. For what,to support those too lazy to work or those that claim they are too encumbered by their pasts to support themselves.

(I realize not all of our taxes go to social programs, but these entitlements are killing us)

Move to amerikkka. The Repugnant ones will give you a job in Congress.

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

July 20, 2013, 9:14 p.m.

Oh, look it's a pity party.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

July 20, 2013, 9:36 p.m.

Oh, look it's a pity party.

If you haven't figured out the difference between brass and aluminium yet don't move to the states, endo man 'cause they don't help guys like you.

July 20, 2013, 9:40 p.m.

If you haven't figured out the difference between brass and aluminium yet don't move to the states, endo man 'cause they don't help guys like you.

Huh?

Pastor of Muppets

July 20, 2013, 9:42 p.m.

Post, then smoke crack. Get the order wrong and you end up like Tungsten.