Decline of maritime empires

Feb. 8, 2011, 4:28 p.m.

Pretty cool visualization. I wish this was around when I took history. I may have actually been interested.

http://vimeo.com/11506746

Feb. 8, 2011, 10:55 p.m.

Canada comes off in about 1920? Shouldn't it be 1867? Cool effects, but I have trouble taking it seriously when it says "loosing" instead of losing.

www.travelswithtyler.com

Feb. 8, 2011, 11:12 p.m.

Cool effects, but I have trouble taking it seriously when it says "loosing" instead of losing.

the dude is portugese me thinks

Feb. 9, 2011, 8:18 a.m.

Now that is seriously cool. I think I give the link to my history students….just for the fun of it.

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

Feb. 9, 2011, 12:22 p.m.

Didn't quite understand the purpose? The US is the largest maritime empire at the moment
by a large margin. It's navy is larger than every other navy combined (China catching
up).

"i surf because, i"m always a better person when i come in"-Andy Irons

Feb. 9, 2011, 1:05 p.m.

Didn't quite understand the purpose? The US is the largest maritime empire at the moment
by a large margin. It's navy is larger than every other navy combined (China catching
up).

The United States isn't an Empire. It's a country. There are political, economic, judicial and governmental requirements that the US does not meet in order to be classified as an empire.

Feb. 9, 2011, 1:11 p.m.

up).

It looks like the spin off navies didn't grow or decline. They all just stayed the same size after the split, because Canada may have had the third largest navy after WWII, but it would look like a pixel by now.

Feb. 9, 2011, 1:16 p.m.

It looks like the spin off navies didn't grow or decline. They all just stayed the same size after the split, because Canada may have had the third largest navy after WWII, but it would look like a pixel by now.

The size of the bubble has nothing to do with the size of the Navy, they are sized relative to the Geographic area they represented when detached (Canada is a big bubble, because geographically speaking Canada is a big country), then_ "as the former colonies persist on the map and head to their current geographical positions. Therefore it is possible to visualize in the end of the narrative how much of the world was once part of an Empire."_

A maritime empire is and empire whose territories are separated by large bodies of water.

Feb. 9, 2011, 6:11 p.m.

The United States isn't an Empire. It's a country. There are political, economic, judicial and governmental requirements that the US does not meet in order to be classified as an empire.

A rose by any other name…

"i surf because, i"m always a better person when i come in"-Andy Irons