decide my life: coffee

April 3, 2010, 7:34 p.m.

I think I want a moka pot of some sort. Sub $200 unless there's a reason to spend lots I don't know about.

What should I get? Decide my life for me!

Me. Car/Web Work. Twitter. FFFFound.

April 3, 2010, 7:48 p.m.

I think I want a moka pot of some sort. Sub $200 unless there's a reason to spend lots I don't know about.

What should I get? Decide my life for me!

moka pots are cheap…

I had an alu one that cracked, now I've got the stainless Venus:

it's a "6" cupper, but I jut pour it all in my mug and chug it.

Is there a Vancouver in Taiwan?! I had no idea!!

Nothing sums up my life's achievements like my stuffed corpse, suplexing a cougar.

April 3, 2010, 7:51 p.m.

get an expresso maker ,you can hang out on coffeegeek.com where they will say you need to spend 2000$ on a machine but for 250$ this machine works fine and feels like a piece of equipment

http://www.breville.ca/espresso/cafe-roma-espresso-machine.html

April 3, 2010, 8:03 p.m.

I've had really good results with this one:

http://www.cookware.com/asp/superbrowse.asp?clid=914[HTML_REMOVED]caid=[HTML_REMOVED]sku=VIL1025[HTML_REMOVED]refid=FR75-VIL1025

Shop around, around $150 is a good price for it. Make sure you get good coffee to put. Garbage in garbage out is especially true with coffee.

www.vitalmtb.com

April 3, 2010, 8:13 p.m.

I got a nice 3 cup moka express for $15 at the bay a couple years ago. Very happy with it.

This space intentionally left blank.

April 3, 2010, 8:15 p.m.

I think I'd rather have a good moka pot than a crappy espresso machine.

April 3, 2010, 9:14 p.m.

Timmy's coffee FTW?

Being an agoraphobic adrenaline junkie would be pretty convenient, because you could get your rush from just going to the store to get some milk instead of having to jump off a mountain or out of an airplane.

they also call me "balloon"

April 3, 2010, 9:37 p.m.

Go for a walk on Commercial Drive and check out what the Italian deli's have in stock.

A burr grinder and fresh beans are more important than the specific moka pot.

Cuisinox have nice ss ones,

but they're quite a bit more expensive than the Bialetti versions.

For somethin' a bit different you can try the Bailetti Brikka, which has some type of pressure valve to build up more steam.

Somewhere there's probably a Monster Stovetop Espresso which is made from "pure" stainless steel (as the alloys used in regular stainless steel can colour the delicate coffee flavour) and then cryogenically treated in the presence of astral virgins such that all the molecules line up in clockwise helical spirals, which as everyone in the know knows, is the optimum sub-atomic condition for subliminal crema and a perfect froth every time.

April 3, 2010, 9:44 p.m.

Somewhere there's probably a Monster Stovetop Espresso which is made from "pure" stainless steel (as the alloys used in regular stainless steel can colour the delicate coffee flavour) and then cryogenically treated in the presence of astral virgins such that all the molecules line up in clockwise helical spirals, which as everyone in the know knows, is the optimum sub-atomic condition for subliminal crema and a perfect froth every time.

awesome. can we be friends? completely platonic, of course.

April 3, 2010, 9:57 p.m.

French presses make good coffee and are cheap, but that may not be what you're in the market for.

April 3, 2010, 10:02 p.m.

Go for a walk on Commercial Drive and check out what the Italian deli's have in stock.

A burr grinder and fresh beans are more important than the specific moka pot.

Cuisinox have nice ss ones,

but they're quite a bit more expensive than the Bialetti versions.

For somethin' a bit different you can try the Bailetti Brikka, which has some type of pressure valve to build up more steam.

Yeah those look awesome. The guy at Cairo coffee here in Vic told me that SS is better for the flavour, while alu ones can give a metallic taste. Also he said to not wash the alu ones too much, which scared me.

If they made that Brikka in a 9 cup SS version, I'd pay many dollars for it.

April 3, 2010, 10:03 p.m.

French presses make good coffee and are cheap, but that may not be what you're in the market for.

Hate grindy coffee. Also, my old boss gave me an AEROPRESS and, despite my extreme skepticism, it does a damn nice cup of coffee if I want something more french press type.

April 3, 2010, 11:07 p.m.

Hate grindy coffee.

Arguably french presses can make as good coffee as moka pots. Clean-up is easier with the stovetop units, I find. French presses can have that tendency, though one with a good screen will be better and you just don't drink the last sip. Grind consistency comes into play too: a uniformly course grind will yield little to no sediment, using a blade grinder can get ya a lot of sludge.

The guy at Cairo coffee here in Vic told me that SS is better for the flavour, while alu ones can give a metallic taste. Also he said to not wash the alu ones too much, which scared me.

I haven't noticed that with alu, I did briefly have a cheap ikea ss moka that gave a metal taste. What I have found on the alu ones was the finishing was generally lower quality, especially the threading between the two halves. That alone steered me to the ss versions. Then it was a matter of finding one where I liked the balance of the handle.

The idea behind not washing is the oily film left behind supposedly forms a barrier on the alum preventing it from leaching. Moreso, kinda like cast iron pans, that oily coffee residue supposedly adds 'seasoning' and thus shouldn't be washed away. As with monster cables: YMMV …

If they made that Brikka in a 9 cup SS version, I'd pay many dollars for it.

Yeah, four espresso cups is rather small, if you're not using the traditional tiny cups. 6 to 8 cups is a nice size. French presses have the advantage here.

Do you already have a good grinder? Not a $15 B[HTML_REMOVED]D blade grinder but doesn't have to be a $$$ commercial one either. I found that made a difference. The biggest factor was freshly roasted beans: get them locally a day or two after they roast them. The smell of fresh beans is even better than the coffee itself.

awesome. can we be friends? completely platonic, of course.

Sorry, no time, too busy trying to map out the sonic frequency curve on Monster hydraulic disc brake fluid [HTML_REMOVED] lines to see if they, once and for all, define perfect brake modulation characteristics.

April 3, 2010, 11:09 p.m.

Stainless steel moka pots are a definite improvement over aluminum, even a seasoned one. I couldn't go back to my alu moka pot after I went SS.

And yes, sediment absolutely sucks, even though I drank French press happily for many years.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

April 3, 2010, 11:14 p.m.

I [HTML_REMOVED]3 my french press.

that is the most reatrded thing ever even a retarded would say thats retarded