debt

Aug. 28, 2012, 3:47 p.m.

Lease returns still smell new, with warranty, but without the brand new price.
Often car models look identical for a few years at a time, so only you know it's three years old.
If that's what matters to ya.

I can jump and turn my bars.

Aug. 28, 2012, 3:54 p.m.

Not if you keep it for a while.

Not really true. If you buy a new car say every 10 yrs, vs buying a 5y/o car every 5yrs
you'd probably come out way ahead. 2007 Frontier from a dealer asking $18,000, 2012
frontier $38,000. If I sell the 07 in 5 yrs I'll get (if still in good shape) $8,000 easy.
When I sell my 2012 in 10 yrs I'll get $8,000 easy. So buying new cost $30,000/10 yrs
and a 5y/o car bought every 5 yrs will cost $20,000. I have a 10 y/o Frontier I've put
about (at least) $2000 into (a couple minor repairs in the last 3-4yrs). So the 10 y/o car
actually costs $32,000 and the 5 y/o car still at $20,000. Taking all that into account
I save $12,000 every 10 yrs buying a 5 y/o car every 5 yrs instead of new every 10. For
the amount I paid extra for the new car, I could have bought a car for $24,000 (better
car) and break even, or bought a car that uses more gas and still be ahead.

If you plan on owning your car for say 20 yrs, and I buy a 10 y/o car every 10 yrs, I'll
still be ahead although not by as much. After 20 yrs, you're looking at some major repair
costs that will kill you.

So, better to buy a 5 y/o car that has a good track record, that has more than the engineers
at Nissan (or whatever) telling you it's good. Buy new, you're hoping this isn't the year
and model they finally fuck up.

That said, I bought my last truck and wifes car new.

"i surf because, i"m always a better person when i come in"-Andy Irons

Aug. 28, 2012, 4 p.m.

Actually considering (very closely) going with wind over Rogers to drop the phone bill to 1/3 of what it is now. Only 8 months left.

Twenty five dollars a month.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Aug. 28, 2012, 4:03 p.m.

Lease returns still smell new, with warranty, but without the brand new price.
Often car models look identical for a few years at a time, so only you know it's three years old.
If that's what matters to ya.

Typically you get the remaining warranty. When buying an off lease truck,you get the added excitement of wondering which 20 year old rig hand drove the shit out of it and fuelled up with watery diesel out of some old tidy tank on the claim.

My work truck will be off lease in a year. You couldn't pay me to buy it,knowing what its been through. Still shiny and new looking though.

Pastor of Muppets

Aug. 28, 2012, 4:42 p.m.

Typically you get the remaining warranty. When buying an off lease truck,you get the added excitement of wondering which 20 year old rig hand drove the shit out of it and fuelled up with watery diesel out of some old tidy tank on the claim.

My work truck will be off lease in a year. You couldn't pay me to buy it,knowing what its been through. Still shiny and new looking though.

It's all about the freeiesel.
Those are trucks you don't buy used. unless its from some old man who was the original owner.

Ha Ha! Made you look.

Aug. 28, 2012, 5:26 p.m.

Those are trucks you don't buy used. unless its from some old man who was the original owner.

Nobody that worked on my rig payed for diesel. Perks of the job… the fuel isn't that bad, the rig empties a tank every three days - but you run the risk of getting caught with pink, and cops run dip stops around these parts.

Aug. 28, 2012, 6:34 p.m.

You know an old man who doersnt transfer in lease expired trucks for fort nelson,offers a 160,000 km warranty and throws in a total maintenance package when you buy a truck from him?

Imma need his number,but until then I buy new.

Pastor of Muppets

Aug. 28, 2012, 6:38 p.m.

they better offer all that shit when you buy a truck, cause i sure as shit dont understand how they can charge what they do for them.

Ha Ha! Made you look.

Aug. 29, 2012, 9:19 a.m.

Apart from filters and oil changes, have you had to use your warranty, or total maintenance package?
Wear items, not covered.
Damage you did yourself, not covered.
Labour to fix your damage/wear items, not covered.
How has it saved you cash so far? Total saved/ not spent?

Aug. 29, 2012, 10:11 a.m.

A family friend in alberta is a good mechanic by day on the side he buys at auction/fixes/makes money on trucks mostly dodges probably mostly from industry that may be pretty beat, last time I was there they had one that had been parked in a lake,

he also gave my kid a deal on a Dodge he bought witha blown engine, a shitty or wrong air filter was instaled which they let plug up til the cummins aspirated it …low milage truck with a newly rebuilt engine .

its kind of nice buying new, when I was a road warrior clocking 70-90,000kms a yr I found it didn't pay finacialy to drive used cars it was cheaper to buy new car on a 5yr no money down and sell before it needs major work which could be before the 1st major tuneup or 5 yrs down the road, when you gotta go in all conditions you care less [HTML_REMOVED] the car gets beat

I bought the new ranger cuz it was so cheap, its in perfect shape after a couple of low milage yrs cuz I drive on my terms, at only 15000kms a yr it could easily last 20yrs

Aug. 29, 2012, 10:33 a.m.

Apart from filters and oil changes, have you had to use your warranty, or total maintenance package?
Wear items, not covered.
Damage you did yourself, not covered.
Labour to fix your damage/wear items, not covered.
How has it saved you cash so far? Total saved/ not spent?

Brake pads and rotors,covered

Failed DEF unit,covered

Trans controller,covered

No expense to me. This link will give you an idea

http://www.basilford.com/index.php/finance/ford-maintenance-plans

Pastor of Muppets

Aug. 29, 2012, 10:41 a.m.

That's pretty good then.
How much did the warranty cost vs what you've saved on covered services?

Aug. 29, 2012, 10:59 a.m.

That's pretty good then.
How much did the warranty cost vs what you've saved on covered services?

Well I know the DEF work comes out to about 3500 alone and ill ballpark the TCU at 1500,the brake work would have been around 700.

I don't remember paying "extra" for the warranty and they threw in the maintenance package with the purchase mostly as a goodwill gesture (my company has a shitton of fords)

Pastor of Muppets

Aug. 29, 2012, 11:04 a.m.

I think if you check ford.ca you will find a 5yr warranty on everything even a ranger,
they replaced my sat radio which is the only thing that has failed

HT you got one of those 6.7 fords I hear they are pretty nice, pretty reliable ?

Aug. 29, 2012, 11:19 a.m.

I think if you check ford.ca you will find a 5yr warranty on everything even a ranger,
they replaced my sat radio which is the only thing that has failed

HT you got one of those 6.7 fords I hear they are pretty nice, pretty reliable ?

88000 km on the one I'm sitting in now,nothing but regular services and tires. The personal truck had the above mentioned blips in the first 10000 km,nothing since then,32000 on it now

Pastor of Muppets