dashboard cameras

July 10, 2013, 12:52 p.m.

Ticklebox, what do you need a dash cam for? Is your commute that interesting?

July 10, 2013, 12:54 p.m.

Slight chance someone might smash your window and grab it?

One could remove it when not occupying the car. That's just crazy enough to work.

Kn.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

July 10, 2013, 1:14 p.m.

Slight chance someone might smash your window and grab it?

If they smash my window and grab it,I'll probably doing about 100 km/h at the time.

On second thought,maybe I don't want recorded evidence of that.

Pastor of Muppets

July 10, 2013, 1:15 p.m.

Ticklebox, what do you need a dash cam for? Is your commute that interesting?

Yes, moose,bears,cougars and logging trucks.

Pastor of Muppets

July 10, 2013, 1:42 p.m.

Langley BC dashcam actionne.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGhx-fgpeBo

Kn.

July 10, 2013, 1:43 p.m.

Yes, moose,bears,cougars and logging trucks.

Oh my!

July 10, 2013, 2:07 p.m.

^^^

Yah, and it gets really interesting when it's all of the above at the same time!

Kn.

July 10, 2013, 3:47 p.m.

Langley BC dashcam actionne.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGhx-fgpeBo

Kn.

Wow, just goes to show why undertaking is illegal in the UK, why it's just not a good idea, and glad to see those folks stopping and running to help. Hope folks in roll over were ok.

So I guess a camera could be a double edged sword. Do they automatically roll over/loop when recording?

Please let me demonstrate the ride around; really it's no trouble.

July 10, 2013, 3:51 p.m.

…., and glad to see those folks stopping and running to help. Hope folks in roll over were ok.

From The Province today.
Police called it a very minor accident, yeah right.

Video of an apparently horrific crash Monday in Langley, captured by a car dashboard camera and posted on YouTube, in fact shows “a very minor” accident, police say.
Although the small sedan flipped after going onto the shoulder of Highway 1 west of 232nd Street to avoid a cube van that turned into the same lane, Cpl. Robert McDonald of Lower Mainland Traffic Services said there were only minor injuries.

The female driver from Surrey and the two minors who were in the sedan were released from hospital shortly afterward.

The Abbotsford driver of the truck was issued a $109 violation ticket at the scene for an unsafe lane change.
Considering the high-speed carnage that occurs regularly on B.C.’s streets and highways, the Monday accident, which didn’t involve any contact between the vehicles and resulted in no significant injuries, was minor — except to those involved.
“It probably looks a lot worse than it was,” said McDonald.
But that wasn’t the reaction from Langley’s Andy Zbisko, who was the passenger in the Mercedes driven by his girlfriend, Brittany Bandura, that was following the sedan as it moved briskly through traffic at around 2:45 p.m.
“Oh, my God! Oh, my God!” Zbisko is hear to exclaim as the accident explodes in front of him.
Zbisko, who called the accident “scary stuff,” has been using an inexpensive dash cam for several years for insurance purposes.
His video shows that the sedan passed in the right lane to get past a slowermoving white truck in the left lane. But the truck moved into the right lane and the sedan swerved onto the shoulder to avoid it before flipping. Other drivers pulled over to help.
McDonald isn’t surprised by what happened.
“Any time you have higher speed on the road and people try to move fast, there’s always potential for danger,” he said. “High speed on the highway and you make a sudden move and hit the shoulder — loose gravel — it’s really easy to lose control of the vehicle.”
Mc Donald said it’s critical to keep a “fair distance” between your vehicle and other vehicles to ensure there’s time to react safely.

July 10, 2013, 3:53 p.m.

There are apps for smart phones that turns your phone into a dash cam.

Google apps.
https://play.google.com/store/search?q=dash+cam[HTML_REMOVED]c=apps

July 10, 2013, 6:44 p.m.

One could remove it when not occupying the car. That's just crazy enough to work.

Kn.

That gets old quick, nothing like walking around with a GoPro in you pocket all the time. Well, unless you carry a purse or something. Not sure about everyone else but I'm lazy and would eventually end up just leaving in the glovebox and some punk would take it. Then again, if you don't live in greater Van area you could probably just leave it on the dash without any problems :dizzy:

"Dont be fooled Timmy, if the cow had a chance he'd kill you and everyone you love."

July 10, 2013, 8:26 p.m.

That gets old quick, nothing like walking around with a GoPro in you pocket all the time. Well, unless you carry a purse or something. Not sure about everyone else but I'm lazy and would eventually end up just leaving in the glovebox and some punk would take it. Then again, if you don't live in greater Van area you could probably just leave it on the dash without any problems :dizzy:

there is a thing called a glove box….but that would get old too.

ps that accident was ghey and the person who crashed should get fined for sucking.

July 11, 2013, 1:45 a.m.

I'm looking at getting one as well, spent a bunch of time researching different ones last night (there is a lot of cheap shit on Ebay). Seems like DOD makes decent cams, and they have a Canadian division you can buy directly.
Been considering this one: http://store.dod-tech.ca/dashboard-cameras/dod-LS300W-car-dvr-dashboard-camera

Specs say 32GB max, but they offer 64GB cards. 32GB cards are under $30 and should be good for a few hours of recording.

These units have to be plugged in all the time? I doubt the battery would last an hour.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

July 11, 2013, 5:28 p.m.

Specs say 32GB max, but they offer 64GB cards. 32GB cards are under $30 and should be good for a few hours of recording.

These units have to be plugged in all the time? I doubt the battery would last an hour.

Unless you know, you have those 12v accessory USB chargers plugged in while driving.

Just saying.

protect tom mcdonald at all costs

July 11, 2013, 9:05 p.m.

That gets old quick, nothing like walking around with a GoPro in you pocket all the time.

Yeah, but I'm old enough to remember the days when you'd get a tape deck for your car that could slide out of the frame so you didn't have to leave it in the car. Now that's a bitch to walk around town with!

Kn.