Damn tobacco companies

July 31, 2008, 2:23 p.m.

Linky

Two of Canada's biggest tobacco companies will pay record-setting fines after pleading guilty to tax charges laid in connection with contraband cigarettes.

Imperial Tobacco Canada Limited and Rothmans Benson and Hedges pleaded guilty to "aiding persons to sell and be in possession of tobacco manufactured in Canada that was not packed and was not stamped in conformity with the Excise Act."

Imperial Tobacco will pay $200 million in fines and Benson and Hedges was fined $100 million.

"Based on our estimates, by (the companies) paying these fines, they will not be making any profits out of the (illicit) activities they had in the past," Revenue Minister Gordon O'Connor said at a press conference held in Ottawa on Thursday.

The companies have also committed to help combat contraband tobacco activities in Canada.

"The result we've seen today brings to a close a significant chapter in contraband tobacco history," RCMP Assistant Commissioner Mike Cabana said in a press release.

"The message sent today is that no company is above the law."

The RCMP said Thursday's guilty pleas were the culmination of an eight-year investigation by RCMP Customs and Excise officers in Ontario and Quebec.

The charges were laid in connection with illegal tobacco shipments to locations in the U.S. between 1989 and 1994. The contraband cigarettes were distributed by smugglers or black market distributors in Canada and the U.S.

O'Connor said that in addition to the criminal fines, the two companies will also pay hundreds of millions of dollars in civil fines.

"Imperial is paying $600 million and Benson and Hedges is paying $550 million - when you add up the criminal and civil fines," he said.

No company official was charged in connection with the investigation.

But an anti-smoking group says Thursday's fines have not fully served justice because no tobacco company executive will see jail time.

"There's no winners in this because the industry has addicted a whole bunch of young people who then became lifetime annuities for these companies," said Garfield Mahood, a spokesperson for the Non-Smokers Rights Association.

"Over time the companies will financially benefit. And literally thousands of people will die in the future as a result of this crime."

O'Connor said Thursday's plea deal had the approval of Canada's premiers. Money from the fines will go into both provincial and federal coffers.

July 31, 2008, 3 p.m.

More tobacco related news…

According to New Zealand, within the first year of the smoking ban there, heart attacks caused by smoking have dropped 17[HTML_REMOVED]#37;. A huge amount in a single year.

Makes me wonder how bad inhaling a couple of smokes a month are, especially tonight when I'm hanging out with my smoking buddies…

July 31, 2008, 3:05 p.m.

According to New Zealand, within the first year of the smoking ban there, heart attacks caused by smoking have dropped 17%. A huge amount in a single year.

Makes me wonder how bad inhaling a couple of smokes a month are, especially tonight when I'm hanging out with my smoking buddies…

The bad news - it's not good for you.

The good news - they'll probably die 1st.

July 31, 2008, 3:07 p.m.

And here I thought my $25 parking violation was alot.

July 31, 2008, 3:11 p.m.

as much as i try i find it hard to conjure up much in the way of hate towards big tobacco.

am i evil?

July 31, 2008, 4:43 p.m.

The bad news - it's not good for you.

The good news - they'll probably die 1st.

Actually second hand smoke will kill you first.

Grumpy Trail Builder in Training

July 31, 2008, 4:44 p.m.

Really? I knew it was bad didn't realize it was worse than 1st hand.

July 31, 2008, 5:02 p.m.

myth

Your sig is SOO SICK BRO! Man look at all that crazy shit!!!! BLOOD!!

July 31, 2008, 5:10 p.m.

:lol: did you think the smokers themselves somehow block the second hand smoke?

turn off sigs…it will change your life

July 31, 2008, 5:30 p.m.

July 31, 2008, 5:59 p.m.

I think Switch should make that his new avatar.

July 31, 2008, 7:29 p.m.

According to New Zealand, within the first year of the smoking ban there, heart attacks caused by smoking have dropped 17%. A huge amount in a single year.

in other news 45 percent of facts are made up

July 31, 2008, 10:12 p.m.

Wow, good thing I smoke. I've always wanted to live longer….

www.natooke.com

July 31, 2008, 10:37 p.m.

i'll never date another smoker - i think i've narrowed down my pool of available men unfortunately

July 31, 2008, 10:52 p.m.

I want to live in Europe where 90[HTML_REMOVED]#37; of the population isn't a bunch of sissys who have too much time on their hands to complain about what other people are spending their own money and doing something legal in a public place.

"Fullness of knowledge always means some understanding of the depths of our ignorance; and that is always conducive to humility and reverence." - Robert Millikan