cypress survivor charged for rescue . ..

Dec. 20, 2012, 11:50 a.m.

If you crashed your mountain bike "out of bounds" would you expect to pay?

Dec. 20, 2012, 12:08 p.m.

If I left a controlled area and entered a marked terrain trap,yes.

The resorts actually do incurr labour,utility and machine costs during a search and rescue. 10 grand might be a little inflated though.

Pastor of Muppets

Dec. 20, 2012, 12:09 p.m.

better not wipe out on RDS boys….

C4 Rider Training 2013

Contact me at: [email protected]

I am not so good at returning PM's as some have noticed.

c4race.com

Dec. 20, 2012, 12:23 p.m.

If I left a controlled area and entered a marked terrain trap,yes.

The resorts actually do incurr labour,utility and machine costs during a search and rescue. 10 grand might be a little inflated though.

Marked terrain trap? There are no signs beyond the boundary rope out there.

The resort has the option to not incur costs. Like I pointed out there are government programs for search and rescue.

If anything should be done it's increase the warning signs along the Howe Sound Crest trail. This is the low point, it's the return trail to the resort for anyone that knows where they are going that skis those ob shots. A rope line set up along the Crest would clue in a few of these people that it's where they should head back.

Early season and Sky chair closed means not many people have been skiing that zone so the traverse is not set.

Dec. 20, 2012, 12:27 p.m.

cypress of all hills has some serious ravines immediately out of bounds. austrian gully on jack daniels side and some serious ones just out of jet streams that go down to hsb….the ravines in toads are pretty serious as well..

maybe micro gps tracking chips should be built into the passes?

didnt he have his iphone? gps tracking would work where his phone gets no signal…

gotta be an app potential here.

fuk this is why im broke.

i dont know the answer but a 10k rescue bill isnt it.

Dec. 20, 2012, 12:32 p.m.

I have always been of the view that until we start charging smokers for cancer treatments, overeaters for insulin, etc. we should not be charging for rescues.

Cigarrettes are taxed at a ridiculous rate and taxes are used to fund our health care system. I'm wondering what the difference between the taxes collected on cigarettes and the cost of smoking to the healthcare system is? I do think smoking is idiotic, just pointing out that we do charge smokers something.
http://www.smoke-free.ca/pdf_1/totaltax.pdf - income about 7.5 billion in canada last year
http://smoke-free.ca/factsheets/pdf/costsoftobacco-ccsaresults.pdf - direct costs of smoking about 5 billion

Back on topic

My point of view on search and rescue is that there is a very distinct difference between someone ducking a whole bunch of warning signs to go somewhere when they are completely unprepared and someone who is prepared for travel with equipment AND knowledge. Having to get heli’d out because a giant rain storm wiped out the road is very different than what this idiot did.

I think it also fair that there be some cost associated with rescuing people, obviously putting the entire cost on the person may be unreasonable, but a charge of $2000-$10000 for rescues depending on effort required would be a good way to get people thinking. Personally if you feel that would potentially result in your family not calling search and rescue, then I feel sad for you that your family does not value your life. I would also be fine if those costs were passed on to all search and rescues (idiots vs incidents).

If I’m not mistaken in many parts of Europe you are responsible for your rescue and people still adventure in the mountains and still get in trouble and still call for help. There’s really a lot of things in Europe that I appreciate over Canada.

Dec. 20, 2012, 12:38 p.m.

If I’m not mistaken in many parts of Europe you are responsible for your rescue and people still adventure in the mountains and still get in trouble and still call for help. There’s really a lot of things in Europe that I appreciate over Canada.

It's pretty easy and cheap to buy insurance for rescue in Europe. In France they have Carte Neige. It's insurance that covers the cost of being plukked off the mountain by SAR.

Dec. 20, 2012, 12:47 p.m.

didnt he have his iphone? gps tracking would work where his phone gets no signal…

i lost my iphone on cypress and found it the next day using another phone w/ the apple 'find my phone' app. pretty slick.

Dec. 20, 2012, 12:49 p.m.

Friends of mine have skied a ton in Chamonix. The French have a very different approach about financing search and rescue. Those who ski tour out of bounds can pre-purchase rescue insurance. As a result nearly everyone buys it. I am no expert on this, but it does seem to be a very intelligent way to finance out of bound rescues. I would definitely pay for this to cover my frequent adventures into the woods.

http://www.carreneige.com/en/the_guarantee_carre_neige_rescue_and_evacuation.php

(I am a slow typer! Shirk beat me to it).

Dec. 20, 2012, 1:07 p.m.

In the case of the smoker, over eater, etc, we have a fully funded system by the taxpayer that covers their risky behaviour. Isn't this the difference with the rescues? It is hard to say WE should do anything when it is volunteers or private enterprise conducting the searches.

the public still foots a fairly sizable chunk of the bill for rescues. RCMP, heli's and what not.

Don't get me wrong it is great that voly's and private enterprise step up and my hat is off to them.

I think an insurance program is a great idea. Think of your car insurance - don't have an accident for a long time - discount, have an imobilizer- discount, take a safe driving course- discount. So for bc - have insurance of # years with out a claim get a discount. take an Avi course - discount, purchase certain gear - discount. Don't have the insurance pay through the nose.

Dec. 20, 2012, 1:16 p.m.

I'm in the charge him camp.

A 33 year old should know better.

I was talking to guy who knows Tim Jones well and he said the only time NSSR release someones name after a search is if they want to out the person for being a complete fucktard. This guy fit the bill.

Dec. 20, 2012, 1:41 p.m.

I think an insurance program is a great idea. Think of your car insurance - don't have an accident for a long time - discount, have an imobilizer- discount, take a safe driving course- discount. So for bc - have insurance of # years with out a claim get a discount. take an Avi course - discount, purchase certain gear - discount. Don't have the insurance pay through the nose.

Great idea !

Dec. 20, 2012, 2:11 p.m.

If anything should be done it's increase the warning signs along the Howe Sound Crest trail. This is the low point, it's the return trail to the resort for anyone that knows where they are going that skis those ob shots. A rope line set up along the Crest would clue in a few of these people that it's where they should head back.

Like what whistler has on singing pass and the near Cheakamus lake. Good idea but BC Pakrs would have to do it and you know how strained they are for resources…

big TURN BACK HERE signs could be a good idea.

That being said, the NS mountains seem to have this type of thing occur more often then in other areas (I have not researched this, I am not going to, so feel free to correct me).

The problem with the backcountry areas on Seymour and Cypress is the drainages become steep and deep so if you get caught you are more likely to get trapped. Being on a snow board, with no ability to walk out compounds this error. If a skier got caught out too low, they can more easily walk uphill. Not so for a snow boarder.

Looking to ride the shore but don't know where to go?

Get a copy of the Locals Guide to North Shore Rides!

Follow MTB Trails on Twitter

Follow Sharon and Lee on Twitter

Dec. 20, 2012, 2:16 p.m.

Like what whistler has on singing pass and the near Cheakamus lake. Good idea but BC Pakrs would have to do it and you know how strained they are for resources…

big TURN BACK HERE signs could be a good idea.

I am sure Cypress could cover the costs and propose to actually put them up for BC Parks. All cost does need to fall on BC Parks.

Dec. 20, 2012, 2:30 p.m.

I'm going to guess that this argument can be settled with one very simple question: Who was in control of the land that he was rescued from? Is it private land leased by Cypress, or is it crown land that the Government is still in control of?

If it was private land, and Cypress was obligated in some way to participate in the rescue, then I would assume that they also have legal recourse to charge for said rescue. If it was private land and they had no such obligation then they may not have a case, but it would depend on the judge. If it was public land and they voluntarily supplied equipment, they're fucked if he goes to court. Disclaimer: I'm a salesman, not a lawyer.