Cypress is alive

April 1, 2019, 3:24 p.m.

Im putting this in NBR because even though its Cypress, its not about riding.

I have to admit that Im a bit fascinated by Cougars - I picked up a game camera and have been putting it on Cypress throughout the winter - its probably been running for a total of 6 weeks since Jan.

Initially I had it on BLT above Fern to avoid billions of truck photos.....I put it in places that I thought might be bottlenecks (creeks) and where the camera could get a good look up or down BLT for things crossing it. I ended up with just riders making their way up BLT and, Im not sure what this is about, but pick up trucks at night (above Fern). Nothing exciting.

Still nothing exciting but I went off trail last round to the side of the forest just above the power station. When Ive asked the construction folks what and where they see critters, they've seen cougars in that area so I felt that it was a reasonable next step. Ive seen bears there too.

Anyways, got photos of a deer and coyote. Boring, but maybe one day Ill get something good. The other locations where cougars have been seen on Cypress (by people who Ive spoken with) is on Eagle Lake access road above and west of Cypress Falls Park and at the very top of Lower Tall Cans at the water tank.

Ill add to this thread photos that are of anything wild....Watch where you take a piss on Cypress!!!! BPP has a bunch of cameras up too - Ive found 4 of theirs so far.

Last edited by: Ddean on April 1, 2019, 3:27 p.m., edited 1 time in total.
April 1, 2019, 4:09 p.m.

How much is game camera set up?  I am fascinated by cougars as well, but after 46 years I still have yet to see one in the wild.

April 1, 2019, 4:18 p.m.

Less than $100 then you have to add a card...but that will get you one with IR lighting and IR flash with decent resolution. So at night there are no visible flashes going off...important if you want to keep it!

April 1, 2019, 8:08 p.m.

Plenty of cougars in Weat Van.

April 2, 2019, 9:35 a.m.

Posted by: Ddean

Less than $100 then you have to add a card...but that will get you one with IR lighting and IR flash with decent resolution. So at night there are no visible flashes going off...important if you want to keep it!

Damn, that is cheap.  I want to see one up near my cabin at Anderson Lake.  The animals come down the side of the creek to get to the shore (mostly bears because we have fruit trees down by the water) and they walk right past our deck so I think I could get some good shots of what lurks at night.

April 2, 2019, 9:46 a.m.

This is the one I got. Works great for what I wanted so far.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07HBTL962/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

April 8, 2019, 12:09 a.m.

Posted by: Endur-Bro

'cause of the sub-divisions. Ask sheets.

April 8, 2019, 10:24 a.m.

I was thinking of inserting a joke as well. LoL.

Anyways, I'd love to see one in the wild. Such awesome animals, such pure and brute power and effortlessly smooth if need be.

April 8, 2019, 4:39 p.m.

Posted by: Mic

Anyways, I'd love to see one in the wild. Such awesome animals, such pure and brute power and effortlessly smooth if need be.

They usually see you before you see them.

April 8, 2019, 8:03 p.m.

A large Mountain Lion ran across the road in front of my car in Yosemite a few years ago.  I stood on the brakes and watched it bound effortlessly through the forest and it was gone in a few seconds. Beautiful animal and awesome power.

April 9, 2019, 9:28 a.m.

Posted by: Stuminator

Posted by: Mic

They usually see you before you see them.

True for both kinds, I guess.

April 9, 2019, 10:48 a.m.

I remember seeing a video of the cops chasing a cougar in North Van residential area. That thing jumped from one backyard to another without even touching the fences in between them. So fast. 25ft leaps were nothing to it. It was right out of the movies, but it was real!!!!

May 8, 2019, 9:27 a.m.

I recently had the game cam back up on Cypress and ran it for about 3 weeks on BLT. Just riders and pick ups in the evenings. Zilch! Its going back to lower elevations to see what I can find. Ill probably put it in the area of where I found these big ass cat tracks in March (near the powerstation on BLT)….

almost 5 inches across.  

MEOW!!!!