cyber attacks and ransom ware bastages

Jan. 6, 2020, 9:41 p.m.

They can come from anywhere , but Russia, former eastern block countries, India, Asia are all paces they hide. I know small co's that have been hit. Practice good security, backup everyday and have the backup physically disconnected from the network unless you're running the backup. It seems a lot of times this stuff gets into the network via email or bad browsing habits. If I was running a small biz that had a web presence I'd probably take the time to have my web platform separated from the business platform and disable web browsing from that system or have it tightly restricted with NoScript and Ublock. They can be a pain to set up depending on the level of unfettered web browsing that you want but they work wonders in tandem.

Jan. 6, 2020, 10:33 p.m.

They likely weren’t targeted.  

Automated software relentlessly scans all internet connected devices/servers for an encyclopedia of possible exploits.

When it finds one, congrats.  Your data is encrypted for ransom or your baby cam is being streamed to pervs.

Jan. 7, 2020, 8:29 a.m.

Solution: Implement security and always back up your data off line.

That makes you a hard target to attack, and if you do get compromised, just reformat and restore data.

Jan. 7, 2020, 11:59 a.m.

I see this type of thing a lot, and some of it is very sophisticated.

We had a hacker impersonate a vendor of ours, with an email address that was very close to identical. They used our vendors signatures and pretended to be the vendor when they redirected payment to a "new account of theirs" from the account we had been using. It happened TWICE - without proper protocols in place where Accounts Payable call the vendor contact and speak with them to confirm the redirection of funds, its virtually impossible to catch. 

A friend of mine was to receive a $3M direct investment from an investor; the fraudsters impersonated him to the investor and redirected that payment as well (they caught it fast and before the money landed in an account they couldnt retrieve it from). 

Short story is that email is super easy to impersonate and when there are account changes for any payments, you need to confirm verbally.

Jan. 9, 2020, 8:31 a.m.

Posted by: ReductiMat

Automated software relentlessly scans all internet connected devices/servers for an encyclopedia of possible exploits.

When it finds one, congrats.  Your data is encrypted for ransom or your baby cam is being streamed to pervs.

So what you’re saying is “Free Public Wifi” is really fucking bad?

Jan. 9, 2020, 10:49 a.m.

Posted by: Endur-Bro

Depends... Are you the kind who likes unprotected sex in the seedy backstreets somewhere in Thailand?

Jan. 10, 2020, 12:03 p.m.

Depends... Are you the kind who likes unprotected sex in the seedy backstreets somewhere in Thailand?

How come you guys never ask me questions like that?

No fun.

Jan. 11, 2020, 2:13 p.m.

Posted by: aShogunNamedMarcus

No fun.

because

Jan. 11, 2020, 2:27 p.m.

Posted by: Sethimus

No fun.

because

And there in lies your problem - you get what ya give dumbass.

Jan. 11, 2020, 5:16 p.m.

No, it's because you post way too much trolling bullshit and people are tired of it.

The shame of it here is that I know you're into the IT/tech stuff and thought this could have been a good opportunity for you to share some knowledge in a bit more of a positive manner than we're used to which could have potentially helped your cred a bit towards people taking you seriously at times.

Jan. 12, 2020, 1:22 p.m.

Posted by: syncro

No, it's because you post way too much trolling bullshit and people are tired of it.

The shame of it here is that I know you're into the IT/tech stuff and thought this could have been a good opportunity for you to share some knowledge in a bit more of a positive manner than we're used to which could have potentially helped your cred a bit towards people taking you seriously at times.

No man, its contrast. Not trolling. ie: You all think I'm a climate change denier. I'm not - I just dont blame humans as much as everyone else and you guys get hung up on the minut details. Not only that, you especially seem to act like I shouldnt defend myself. The position I take is obviously a choice. How you guys respond is also a choice.

I was previously into the IT thing circa 2000. Like I said before, no one accepts shit I say so why again would I actually contribute - someone is just going to tell me I'm wrong and in this case they might be right because my 411 is obselete. This is obviously my opinion so it'll be wrong in the boards eye's but I handed Chup his ass regarding the DNC server in the Trump thread and I didnt even bring up a mac address or get technical- but guess what? All glossed over, no one said "ya Shoguns sadly right" meanwhile everyone claims I dont answer everything. Ya I'm the troll.

Why wouldnt I answer Flatch's questions about myself (which are probably still in my profile if anyone actually looked)? Because I know you fuckers will use it against me.

Jan. 12, 2020, 1:29 p.m.

Posted by: Sethimus

No fun.

because

Since you missed it the first time.

Jan. 12, 2020, 1:37 p.m.

Posted by: tashi
Since you missed it the first time.

You guys might be walking a fine line on the cyber bullying..

You guys should get some e-smarts and smarten up.

Jan. 12, 2020, 1:45 p.m.

Report me, put me on your ignore list or leave.

Jan. 12, 2020, 2:12 p.m.

Posted by: tashi

Report me, put me on your ignore list or leave.

Why would I leave - is this your house?