Cutting Cable

March 10, 2016, 9:27 a.m.

Ditched Sat. TV a while ago now.
Shaw internet since the beginning of the internet…absolutely zero usage or billing issues. Currently on the $60 plan. No hassle if you go over the 100gigs/mth I think it is..they let it slide.

If you are consistently over they will throttle your connection. That is why I turned down the stream quality on Netflix.

March 10, 2016, 10:54 a.m.

If you are consistently over they will throttle your connection. That is why I turned down the stream quality on Netflix.

How do I check that?

Thx CraigH

Only an hr after my last post there^…PIA VPN stopping working for US Netflix

March 10, 2016, 11:30 a.m.

Beyond throttling, Shaw tends to overstate their connection speeds.

I was paying for a 100/5 mb/s connection with Shaw and typically, even in non-peak hours, only received around 70/1.5 mb/s. I switched to Telus Optik's 100/25 mb/s plan and am now getting 129/29 mb/s reliably for $10 less per month. You just have to pay a little more attention to bandwidth usage with Telus as they charge for data overage.

March 10, 2016, 11:54 a.m.

How do I check that?

Thx CraigH

Only an hr after my last post there^…PIA VPN stopping working for US Netflix

I think you can sign in online and see your usage, but I can't remember. When they throttled us we went way over one month. The other thing we did on our Netflix account is turn off autoplay so it wasn't running for hours with nobody watching. It is so obvious that they are trying to make you leave Netflix when they throttle your account. Instead of a slower overall speed, they basically stop your connection briefly every 20 seconds or so making streaming impossible, but surfing the web etc just slows down.

Aug. 31, 2016, 11:30 a.m.

I think I'm going for Surf Internet 60 with the TV option.
You all still happy with them?

Aug. 31, 2016, 11:48 a.m.

For anyone on Telus who doesn't currently have some kind of discount on their bill (and maybe even if you do) it would be worth giving them a call (be prepared to be on hold for 45-60 minutes) to see if they can drop your rates. I just had a 12 month discount expire, called in yesterday, and ended up saving $600+ over the next year with discounts on Internet, TV and phone.

It seems to help if you mention that you're considering switching to Shaw's latest 150 Mbps service, as that got me kicked right over to the "customer loyalty" department, who could give much better deals than the front line service rep.

Aug. 31, 2016, 1:24 p.m.

I think I'm going for Surf Internet 60 with the TV option.
You all still happy with them?

Still with surf. No tv or phone for us. Works fine and is dirt cheap compared to Telus etc…

Originally posted by Purecanadianhoney
I don't see how hard it would be to scrape out the head of your cock once in a while.

Aug. 31, 2016, 3:09 p.m.

We're lucky enough in the Comox Valley to have really good fibre optic coverage. Just upgraded my Telus plan to 150mb/s up and down. It's freaking brilliant. $88 / month. Saves me $13 bucks over the 100mb/s down|25mb/s up plan that I had previously.

My actual speed sits at 168mb/s up and down. It's a thing of beauty.

Aug. 31, 2016, 3:18 p.m.

Jealous.

Aug. 31, 2016, 3:27 p.m.

Jealous.

It's pretty good stuff. An hour long 1080p TV show downloads in a little over a minute at a little over 20 MBytes/s…. stupid fast.

Aug. 31, 2016, 4:34 p.m.

What's the monthly data limit with the fiber plan?

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

Aug. 31, 2016, 5:22 p.m.

Wow..so I've lived in a few places now in Central/South America and if you aren't getting what you pay for ie. paying $30/month for 5Mbps download then they send someone to fix it. In fact, most connections I've seen are throttled down from 10 or 30Mbps and if you want faster, you just pay more.

Canadian telecommunications companies continue to stick it to the customers.

This trip to Kelowna was definately an undertaking - Liam and I had been planning this project for 24 hours. We worked really hard to pull out all the stops in this video. We had slo-mo goggle shots; time lapses; pedal flips; outrageous product shots; unloading and loading the bike; walking through the field with your hand in wheat. At the end of the day this trip was all about just getting out and riding with all my friends.

www.letsridebikes.ca

Aug. 31, 2016, 7:23 p.m.

in the Comox Valley to have really good fibre optic coverage

well i guess there has to be some benefit to living comox.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

Aug. 31, 2016, 7:50 p.m.

What's the monthly data limit with the fiber plan?

This…(which means I have the same question as switch for those not familiar with 2008 meme's)

Thats mide boggle fast Jazbet!

Aug. 31, 2016, 7:52 p.m.

For anyone on Telus who doesn't currently have some kind of discount on their bill (and maybe even if you do) it would be worth giving them a call (be prepared to be on hold for 45-60 minutes) to see if they can drop your rates. I just had a 12 month discount expire, called in yesterday, and ended up saving $600+ over the next year with discounts on Internet, TV and phone.

It seems to help if you mention that you're considering switching to Shaw's latest 150 Mbps service, as that got me kicked right over to the "customer loyalty" department, who could give much better deals than the front line service rep.

Thats good info, maybe same applies for Shaw users?