Cutting Cable

March 7, 2016, 9:46 p.m.

Where are you located? I built something like that to put in my front window. I only get about 7 channels. In PoCo, somewhat facing east.

You'll likely have better luck facing west. There are a few broadcast antennas on Mt. Seymour.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

March 7, 2016, 11:05 p.m.

Where are you located? I built something like that to put in my front window. I only get about 7 channels. In PoCo, somewhat facing east.

I'm close to Berkley and Hyannis, and ours faces west.

March 7, 2016, 11:21 p.m.

What kind of speeds are you actually getting and is it consistent?

I'm on the 30 Mbps plan and last time I checked, speeds are just slightly faster. Just clocked 33.37 Mbps. I would say consistently 30-33 Mbps.

It's Shaw service, Surf Internet is a reseller. I've had one outage (few hours) since switching last November. That happened occasionally with Shaw as well.

There is no contract or trial discount period with Surf Internet. Of course, you could phone up Shaw Retention (same for Telus) and tell them you want to disconnect. They'll offer to match for 12 months. But you'll have to phone back again a year later and negotiate again, plus listen to their upselling attempts.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

March 8, 2016, 8:54 a.m.

~$25 antenna from from Cdn Tire or London Drugs for local OTA channels.
Roku box for Youtube, Vimeo [HTML_REMOVED] Netflix
$9month Netflix (although we don't use it as much as I thought I would)
~$50m Telus for medium speed internet

March 8, 2016, 8:58 a.m.

I use a Roku with Netflix and Plex for streaming from my NAS drive. You can get other channels on the Roku as well like Crackle that have a few free options. There are a lot of them that either don't work well or you can only get in the States.

For bandwidth you can sign into Netflix and turn down the streaming quality and you won't have any cap issues.

No idea of OTA but I live in Squamish so I don't think it is an option.

I have been off cable TV for a couples years now and I don't really miss much, but when it comes to pop culture I am super ill informed now because I don't see commercials. I usually have no idea what movies are out or what star is big unless people are talking about it here. I have achieved out of touch old man status. :)

March 8, 2016, 10:53 a.m.

Not having sports channels sucks, although streams are fine for the computer.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

March 8, 2016, 11:24 a.m.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/android-box-streaming-1.3455524

Bought one to try, still working at finding the reliable streams, but seems to work well, when I can find a good stream.

March 8, 2016, 12:24 p.m.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/android-box-streaming-1.3455524

Bought one to try, still working at finding the reliable streams, but seems to work well, when I can find a good stream.

Interesting. Based on the article, it sounds like a pre-configured torrent searching system that streams shows instead of downloading them for local playback.

Definitely in a grey area with the streaming vs. downloading argument, kind of like Aereo's argument about distributing OTA content over the internet. The US Supreme Court didn't see it their way.

The thing I find not to great about OTA is that I can't record anything

There are various DVR solutions for OTA, like Tablo.

March 8, 2016, 1:43 p.m.

As stated by others ditch telus and go to surf Internet. Cheap and trouble free. No fancy webmail or email but for $30 a month unlimited I can just use use gmail. Been with them for a while now no problems.

Surf Internet also has a cheap tv option if that's your dealio as well.

Netflix on Apple TV with unblockus (still seems to work gor me). And a roku for Canada Netflix. NBA app for all the basketball I could dream of watching. No OTA or anything fancy for me. I spend enough time on the couch as it is!!!

Originally posted by Purecanadianhoney
I don't see how hard it would be to scrape out the head of your cock once in a while.

March 8, 2016, 2:21 p.m.

The solution must be full HD on a TV. Watching on a phone or laptop screen sucks. So does SD content.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

March 8, 2016, 10:30 p.m.

we pay $100 for internet , granted we have 3 Netflix accounts going at the same time at times .

#northsidetrailbuilders

March 9, 2016, 12:06 a.m.

Somebody mentioned VPN not working with Netflix, but it's working fine for me.

March 9, 2016, 7:18 p.m.

The thing I find not to great about OTA is that I can't record anything. I barely watch anything live unless it's the 24hr news channel in the background. I guess that's a good excuse for internet-only-tv however, with home phone it's not much cheaper ($15 a month less) than the current bundle (Shaw).

You can buy a tuner for your computer, and turn it into an OTA DVR. I have been using an EYETV USB tuner for several years, works well. Only limitation is that it can only record 1 channel at a time.

March 9, 2016, 10:33 p.m.

Ditched Sat. TV a while ago now.
Shaw internet since the beginning of the internet…absolutely zero usage or billing issues. Currently on the $60 plan. No hassle if you go over the 100gigs/mth I think it is..they let it slide.
P.I.A. vpn
US Netflix (still working btw)
Torrents.

Also completely out of touch with day to day news/events as I don't listen to radio if I can help it…no TV…even when I had TV, zero commercials as I dvr'ed anything we watched.

Wouldn't mind being able to flick on the news tho...CTV/Global/Local...I can haz with a simple antenna??? Or just local? Looking into it now….

March 10, 2016, 9:06 a.m.

Wouldn't mind being able to flick on the news tho...CTV/Global/Local...I can haz with a simple antenna??? Or just local? Looking into it now….

Yup, see:
http://bb.nsmb.com/showpost.php?p=2910780[HTML_REMOVED]postcount=19