Cutting Cable

March 7, 2016, 4:34 p.m.

There is an older thread about this, but i figured it is time for a refresher.

Considering dropping cable (Shaw) and going OTA Antenna, Netflix/Shomi/Hulu.

Questions:

- What channels can you get with OTA? HD?
- Which OTA Antenna do you recommend?
- Will I need a Digital Converter Box as well?
- What streaming services are you using?
- Is your VPN still working for Netflix? It seems unblock-us stopped working for us last week (Apple TV)

March 7, 2016, 5:16 p.m.

I dont know anything about OTA cause I have zero interest in broadcasts
But I can tell you that the VPNs dont seem to work on netflix anymore. but they still work great for torrents!
only streaming service I use is netflix and then wierd websites like watch series

Ha Ha! Made you look.

March 7, 2016, 5:32 p.m.

I dont know anything about OTA cause I have zero interest in broadcasts
But I can tell you that the VPNs dont seem to work on netflix anymore. but they still work great for torrents!
only streaming service I use is netflix and then wierd websites like watch series

Same boat regarding OTA but I use the Hola chrome extension for VPN and it still works fine. Free too.

Couchtuner is my go-to for series, links are up immediately after airing. Adblock that shit though

March 7, 2016, 6:10 p.m.

We made one of these:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/culture/tv/how-to/a6608/build-your-own-digital-tv-antenna/

Sits up on the roof, works great, we get up to channel 30 or something. Some HD channels. Ctv, global and a bunch of others. Got for watching the news as that's all we would use cable for anyway nowadays.

March 7, 2016, 7:11 p.m.

dropped cable a couple years back now , bought a ROKU box for streaming , guys at work use a Minix box with some add-ons and they get tons of movies and all the new tv shows

#northsidetrailbuilders

March 7, 2016, 7:12 p.m.

2 lengths of coat hanger in east van gets us cbc, ctv, global, city, van isle ctv, French cbc, and Omni, all in HD

March 7, 2016, 7:14 p.m.

KODI (formerly XBMC) + plugins (1channel [HTML_REMOVED] icefilms) to connect to streaming sites.

March 7, 2016, 7:19 p.m.

We made one of these:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/culture/tv/how-to/a6608/build-your-own-digital-tv-antenna/

Sits up on the roof, works great, we get up to channel 30 or something. Some HD channels. Ctv, global and a bunch of others. Got for watching the news as that's all we would use cable for anyway nowadays.

Where are you located? I built something like that to put in my front window. I only get about 7 channels. In PoCo, somewhat facing east.

The thing I find not to great about OTA is that I can't record anything. I barely watch anything live unless it's the 24hr news channel in the background. I guess that's a good excuse for internet-only-tv however, with home phone it's not much cheaper ($15 a month less) than the current bundle (Shaw).

March 7, 2016, 7:27 p.m.

2 lengths of coat hanger in east van gets us cbc, ctv, global, city, van isle ctv, French cbc, and Omni, all in HD

Same NV near Superstore with an antenna, but being in the shadow of Mt Seymour where the broadcast towers are from, the signals are sometimes spotty and annoying to watch. Reception is better if its cloudy.

We still use Netflix instead of OTA. Would rather not ever watch another commercial.

March 7, 2016, 7:30 p.m.

Your basic internet bill will skyrocket with netflix though.

March 7, 2016, 8:17 p.m.

Your basic internet bill will skyrocket with netflix though.

Surf Internet, same service as Shaw, no caps.

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

March 7, 2016, 8:54 p.m.

Surf Internet, same service as Shaw, no caps.

my free cable died after 5 years, where do you suggest i surf??

March 7, 2016, 8:59 p.m.

my free cable died after 5 years, where do you suggest i surf??

Methinks he means

https://www.surfinternet.ca/about.html

So, Sarensho, after all the extra fees and taxes, how much is your $29.99 monthly bill? Is that for a "trial" period, or forever? And will the wifi work better than the 3G I'm forced to use every time my Telus shit wifi konks out upstairs?

March 7, 2016, 9:20 p.m.

Methinks he means

https://www.surfinternet.ca/about.html

So, Sarensho, after all the extra fees and taxes, how much is your $29.99 monthly bill? Is that for a "trial" period, or forever? And will the wifi work better than the 3G I'm forced to use every time my Telus shit wifi konks out upstairs?

There is a one-time $85 installation fee. After that it's been $45 all in (I'm on the $39 plan). Service has been same as when I was with Shaw, except cheaper.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

"The song of a bird…We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds…"-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk

March 7, 2016, 9:34 p.m.

There is a one-time $85 installation fee. After that it's been $45 all in (I'm on the $39 plan). Service has been same as when I was with Shaw, except cheaper.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

What kind of speeds are you actually getting and is it consistent?