Credit Card Chips

March 8, 2010, 10:19 a.m.

no. usually they have a dummy reader which copies the mag stripe and a camera to record you entering the PIN number.

The swapped in reader records the PIN punched in and mag strip. No need for a camera.

If your card has a chip and the retailer is using that feature you will HAVE to use the chip. Soon as you swipe the reader DEMANDS the chip card to be inserted. Kind of up shit creek at that point.

In Calgary a lot of places have switched to chip readers.

WAR IS PEACE, FREEDOM IS SLAVERY, IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH.

March 8, 2010, 10:19 a.m.

FYI, I was in London/Paris just over a year ago, and it appears that pretty close to 100% of retailers use chip readers that side o the pond. If you plan to travel to Europe you may find it difficult to purchase anything sans cashola or chip card.

Kn.

france was like that in 2007 ,there was about a 50% chance of your visa card working ,since we were bike touring which is very cash-centric we just got cash from the ATM's which always worked …notice that an ABM uses a PIN

the cardreaders in POS just plug into a port on the sys unit,they have always been owned by the banks and its pretty simple still I have seen banks (cough BOM)fuck it all up AND the average POS employee is not a rocket scientist eitehr

so while there might be a certain grace period while everyone gets the software on their POS systems chip friendly/readers swapped over/possibly the retailer will want their hardware servicer to do RDR swap so a float of spares needs to be stocked ect … eventualy there will be only chip readers out there in POS land

March 8, 2010, 10:32 a.m.

http://www.lightbluetouchpaper.org/2010/02/11/chip-and-pin-is-broken/

also, thanks Reverend for the informative post.

:canada: :swiss:

March 8, 2010, 10:38 a.m.

so here's a question, how long until people are using dummy readers on chip credit cards, then?

Check my stuff for sale!

March 8, 2010, 10:45 a.m.

so here's a question, how long until people are using dummy readers on chip credit cards, then?

It's probably already being done.

"i surf because, i"m always a better person when i come in"-Andy Irons

March 8, 2010, 10:59 a.m.

and since the default PIN on the chip cards is your PIN for your bank card, where does that leave you?
It's realistic to say that at least 50% of people will leave the PIN the same, just so they don't have to memorize a new one.

:canada: :swiss:

March 8, 2010, 11:05 a.m.

and since the default PIN on the chip cards is your PIN for your bank card, where does that leave you?
It's realistic to say that at least 50% of people will leave the PIN the same, just so they don't have to memorize a new one.

What's your point? People are stupid?

I don't think you can lay fault for that with the credit card companies.

March 8, 2010, 11:11 a.m.

yes there are technologies that will be able to get your info.

but at least with a PIN there is an extra step - before all someone needed was your card number and expiry date

then, for online or phone orders that added that 3 digit code to make it so someone needed your in their hands to use it

and now, there is a PIN so it is WAY less likely that someone can use your card if they find it

the technology to skim info was already there, and now there is one more piece of info they will need

it is a very good thing for consumers and for the companies who offer fraud protection near as i can see

this space is intentionally blank, other than this note about it being blank.

March 8, 2010, 11:17 a.m.

Wow. Paranoia at its peak.

March 8, 2010, 11:47 a.m.

now you are just piling on fear for fun.

what is your fear, that someone is going to skim both your credit card and ATM from the same skimmer at the same store? or skim one and steal the other?

this space is intentionally blank, other than this note about it being blank.

March 8, 2010, 12:03 p.m.

one thing that pissed me off earlier this year was that somebody skimmed or whatever my debit card and used it to withdraw money from the ATM from my linked visa card which put the visa over the limit. The bank spotted this and called me but how they were allowed to withdraw the money from the ATM in the first place when there were insufficient funds is beyond me. I didn't even know I could withdraw money from one card using the other! Although I removed that feature after it happened.

As for being worried about the chip, no need and VISA will refund you pretty quick if anything were to happen.