Credit Card Chips

March 8, 2010, 9:06 a.m.

no

:canada: :swiss:

March 8, 2010, 9:16 a.m.

Also, it's snowing.

:eek2:

I had such a great weekend of riding too……

March 8, 2010, 9:17 a.m.

Also, it's snowing.

Had to scrape the windshield this morning.

Fresh snow on the NS mtns.

Hail as I came through Queensbourgh.

Apparently winter wants to make make one last appearance before the 21st.

March 8, 2010, 9:21 a.m.

Beetle juice

Beetle juice

Beetle juice

Kn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuB3kr3ckYE

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

March 8, 2010, 9:31 a.m.

KenN got it right although he didn't explain what RFID was. So for greater clarity there are two technologies and you can have one or both of these on your card:

Chip - Basically same info as magstripe but secured by your PIN. NOT actively transmitting. Needs to be in the reader to be read.

Contactless - Brand names that we'll likely see in Canada are Mastercard PayPass and Visa PayWave. RFID is the tech behind it and it will allow you to tap your card on a payment device.

Right now most cards are Chip only but PayPass has been available on a small scale for a while now (you've had to request it). I suspect that we're finally going to see some momentum behind this. I don't know how the security systems of EMV work for contactless but presumably there's something in there to help mitigate someone openly scanning for your card. And I'm guessing the card issuers will have non-contactless cards available for people that don't want them. Tinfoil will probably work as well! (if you have a Nexus card they give you a little sleeve that is some sort of foil/cardboard combo for just this purpose!).

I'd recommend you keep the chip on your card since you might flag yourself as a fraudster otherwise. The banks have basically told all merchants that they have to use the chips on the cards (and have the equipment to accept it) or else the fraud risk shifts from the bank to the merchant. So if I was a merchant and someone brought a damaged chip card to me I'd be pretty suspicious. Also, merchants like gas stations which are currently using magstripes are all in the process of switching over so you might be SOL in a few months if you want to do simple stuff like buy gas.

March 8, 2010, 9:38 a.m.

I've had a chip card for about a year, but have only been using it for a few months as I had to get a new PIN to actually use it.

So far mostly the small retailers have the chip readers, big retailers like London Drugs, grocery stores and gas stations aren't using the chip yet.

One good thing about the chip cards [HTML_REMOVED] readers is that unlike the mag stripes, it shouldn't wear out or the reader be dirty requiring a card to be swiped a dozen times to work.

March 8, 2010, 9:42 a.m.

FYI, I was in London/Paris just over a year ago, and it appears that pretty close to 100% of retailers use chip readers that side o the pond. If you plan to travel to Europe you may find it difficult to purchase anything sans cashola or chip card.

Kn.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

March 8, 2010, 9:44 a.m.

when you get your replacement card, accompanied by the new users agreement, make sure you read the liability section, and how having a PIN changes it.

Can I have the coles notes version of this?

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

March 8, 2010, 9:49 a.m.

Can I have the coles notes version of this?

basically if someone steals your card and gets your PIN you're in a world of shit.

Check my stuff for sale!

March 8, 2010, 10:06 a.m.

well, just got off the phone with the bank. some piece of shit skimmed my debit card.

Check my stuff for sale!

March 8, 2010, 10:08 a.m.

basically if someone steals your card and gets your PIN you're in a world of shit.

Until you report it stolen. My wife had her card stolen, we reported it within an
hour of the theft. Someone bought gas with it (and some snacks too). We told
our company when we had last used it, and they took the purchases off of our bill.
The people tried to buy more gas less than an hour after that and got denied.
This was/is a capitol one card.

Maybe it's Canadian CC companies that try and screw you? I have noticed that
when we make a big purchase with our RBC card there's no confirmation call needed.
Every time we make a big purchase or an odd purchase with our Capitol one
we have to make a confirmation call to approve it. It takes about a minute so
it's not a big deal and gives me peace of mind.

"i surf because, i"m always a better person when i come in"-Andy Irons

March 8, 2010, 10:10 a.m.

well, just got off the phone with the bank. some piece of shit skimmed my debit card.

What is "skimming"? Did they steal it physically?

March 8, 2010, 10:12 a.m.

I imagine that if someone were able to make a PIN purchase with a stolen card the liability would be different. How did they get the PIN that should only be in your head and the CC company's computers?

Although to be honest it's trivially easy to defeat the PIN and have the purchase go through at least on the moneris readers. just swipe the card, then when it asks for the chip, stick the wrong end of the card in, it'll ask you to swipe again, and the customer signs.

Check my stuff for sale!

March 8, 2010, 10:13 a.m.

What is "skimming"? Did they steal it physically?

no. usually they have a dummy reader which copies the mag stripe and a camera to record you entering the PIN number.

Check my stuff for sale!

March 8, 2010, 10:17 a.m.

no. usually they have a dummy reader which copies the mag stripe and a camera to record you entering the PIN number.

That's what I've been trying to say, you have a way better chance of someone
doing that than someone with a rf transmitter/reader trying to get your information
then trying to find your PIN after they get the info off the chip.

You'd think if they're using a dummy reader that the reader could just pick up the
PIN you entered, no?