Credit Card Chips

March 7, 2010, 1:33 p.m.

Yeah I here ya. The only way to avoid what happened to you would be to check your credit history. Still not sure how someone could associate a card with you if they didn't have more than your name. DOB, SIN, etc. Would be really easy to prove it wasn't you.

Almost every purchase is easily investigated too. Make a purchase at a store, boom you're on camera. Make it online, boom there is a digital history. I don't understand why you have the issues you have. I would contact a lawyer if I were you.

Jah, the guy used the name Bob and his first name, and my actual last name. My name is not Bob. He got the card by using a pre-approved mailout from my mailbox, so the last name was mine, but he made up the first, and the number on the application had been assigned to my last name already. This all happened about 15 years ago, before you could just check your credit statements any time you wanted.

It was not easy to prove it wasn't me, back then there were no cameras anywhere. The internet was barely invented. Nowadays, they only call me if I make a purchase out of the ordinary, but up until about 5 years ago, it was on almost every purchase, and at the beginning, it was every single time. Sometimes to the store.

:canada: :swiss:

March 7, 2010, 1:39 p.m.

This comes back to keeping an eye on your shit. How in the hell did someone
go for "years" without you finding out about it? Doing a credit check every few
months should fix that. Checking your CC statements on a regular basis would
preclude anyone from using your number for purchases for more than a couple
weeks. With on-line banking, it is easy to check your statement weekly or even
daily if you want.

OMG. nevermind. I guess visa thought I had a sex change, I don't fucking know. None of these purchases ever showed up on MY statements, and my credit was not affected, until he walked away from the card. That's when shit hit the fan. You think I'm so paranoid, don't you think I keep a close eye on my stuff? Jesus christ. I know exactly what I bought, when and where, and every statement gets scrutinized. The bank and cc has been called out by me more times than I can count on bs charges.

keep trying to make me out to be a moron if that's what makes you happy.

March 7, 2010, 1:47 p.m.

OMG. nevermind. I guess visa thought I had a sex change, I don't fucking know. None of these purchases ever showed up on MY statements, and my credit was not affected, until he walked away from the card. That's when shit hit the fan. You think I'm so paranoid, don't you think I keep a close eye on my stuff? Jesus christ. I know exactly what I bought, when and where, and every statement gets scrutinized. The bank and cc has been called out by me more times than I can count on bs charges.

keep trying to make me out to be a moron if that's what makes you happy.

And you check your credit history often too? This is a big one. While he/she may not
have been using your CC, they were using your name/ID. When using this info
it goes back to the credit reporting agencies (where banks and such get you credit
scores). You scores should have changed if this person was not paying his/her
debts. If you look at your history report 2-3 times a year, you should notice
these changes in payment habits and expenditure differences.

What I and so many have been trying to tell you is that if someone wants to steal
from you they will. These new chips protect you as best as they can. There
is no way to stop all thefts.

You can pay cash all you want, but if I use your name to get my own ID and cards
there is nothing you can do to prevent that. The only thing you can do is catch
it early. But, I guess whatever it takes to make you 'feel' safe, do it.

Edit: I don't think you are a moron, just paranoid, they are not always inclusive.

"i surf because, i"m always a better person when i come in"-Andy Irons

March 7, 2010, 2:01 p.m.

My bank card allows up to 6 digits for a pin, but my credit card only allows for 4 digits. It should be more, and the minimum should be at least 6. Plus, 4 digits means half the card owners are going to use their date of birth for their pin.

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

March 7, 2010, 2:17 p.m.

Not me, I use my name.

March 7, 2010, 2:32 p.m.

Jah, the guy used the name Bob and his first name, and my actual last name. My name is not Bob. He got the card by using a pre-approved mailout from my mailbox, so the last name was mine, but he made up the first, and the number on the application had been assigned to my last name already. This all happened about 15 years ago, before you could just check your credit statements any time you wanted.

It was not easy to prove it wasn't me, back then there were no cameras anywhere. The internet was barely invented. Nowadays, they only call me if I make a purchase out of the ordinary, but up until about 5 years ago, it was on almost every purchase, and at the beginning, it was every single time. Sometimes to the store.

Pretty fucked up. Glad you don't have to affirm every purchase now. Totally get your paranoia.

Not sure what type of chip you have but I believe it'll make it harder for the average thief. Sure nothing is fool proof but the odds of getting ripped off will be less.

WAR IS PEACE, FREEDOM IS SLAVERY, IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH.

March 7, 2010, 4:44 p.m.

sorry thatgirl, but really.

you are talking about ripping out the chip to "protect" yourself but don't seem to take some of the very basic non tinfoil hate steps that one can take in order to protect yourself.

hence the nsmb dogpile.

you haven't brought up any situations where a chip would hurt you or make what has happened - only situations where the chip would either be neutral or helpful

this space is intentionally blank, other than this note about it being blank.

March 7, 2010, 4:47 p.m.

I like Salt [HTML_REMOVED] Vinegar chips.

Being an agoraphobic adrenaline junkie would be pretty convenient, because you could get your rush from just going to the store to get some milk instead of having to jump off a mountain or out of an airplane.

they also call me "balloon"

March 7, 2010, 4:57 p.m.

yes

March 7, 2010, 5:23 p.m.

You bastards! Now I have to go buy some chips. Doritos maybe.

Kn.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

March 7, 2010, 5:26 p.m.

I like the Organic Jalapeno Cheezies

Why slag free swag?:rolleyes:

ummm, as your doctor i recommend against riding with a scaphoid fracture.

March 7, 2010, 5:29 p.m.

This thread is about chips, not cheesies.

March 7, 2010, 5:35 p.m.

These chips are cheesy.

March 7, 2010, 5:38 p.m.

I like the Organic Jalapeno Cheezies

wouldnt an organic cheesy be an oxymoron ?

March 7, 2010, 7:43 p.m.

Just to top the thread off, I think someone managed to dupe my debit card and get my PIN in the past couple days. Gotta call the bank in the morning.

Check my stuff for sale!