Credit Card Chips

March 7, 2010, 12:57 p.m.

So yes, I am suspicious of things with security that seems easily breached to me.

which is why it is so confusing.

the chip offers WAY more protection to YOU near as I can tell

this space is intentionally blank, other than this note about it being blank.

March 7, 2010, 12:57 p.m.

everytime a new security device is invented doesn't someone find a way around it ?

what if someone figures out a way to collect PINS and the card companies have written their liability out of the agreement ?

that girls understanding of the nuts [HTML_REMOVED] bolts around chip tech is not the greatest but she has her points

for whomever asked how that girl managed to get a credit car,people have had them accidently sent to their dogs SO it would appear anybody can get one and maybe that girl's fears have some basis if a dog can get a visa card

**AND that girl has no debits [HTML_REMOVED] owns property …she could have a better credit rating than you do if not many struggling family types

and well what is "well" … she doesnt have much stuff [HTML_REMOVED] rides her bike a lot**

I'm still not sure of your point. I have a lot of stuff and I ride my bike a lot too? I have no debt other than my house which is less than $100,000 owed.
I'm not sure what any of that has to do with worrying about a new CC security
system.

Look, you have a way better chance of having your info stolen taking money out
of a bank machine or having someone you don't know swipe your card at a gas
station or department store. Even with the chip, your chance of having the reader
that you're punching in your pin into is hacked is higher than someone waiting
in the bushes with a reader.

If you're really that worried about it, get some rf screen that matches the frequency
range of the chip and line your wallet with it. AND check your credit on a regular
basis so you can spot any odd issues there. Also, something many people don't
do as regularly as they should…when you get your statement GO THROUGH IT
point by point and cross check with your receipts (that's what we do without
fail).

We had a bad charge once and it was resolved in a couple hours. Turned out to
be a glitch in the system.

Limiting your life because you are paranoid over something is worse IMO than
the hassle of having your ID stolen.

"i surf because, i"m always a better person when i come in"-Andy Irons

March 7, 2010, 1:03 p.m.

so, thatgirl, reading back, you think it is harder for someone to fake a siganture (that is rarely checked, ffs i used my wife's card for 3 months when i lost mine and was too lazy to get a new one) that to guess a 4 digit pin?

don't get me wrong, I know your pin can be stolen or breached, but that is by people who know what they are doing ( ie the people who have cloned signatured cards for decades) but at least with a chip card (once all vendors are chip ready) means that if you drop your card on the ground the guy who finds it can't use it

the keys to protecting yourself with credit cards remain unchanged

- don't get too high a limit
-check your account online every 2 weeks at a miniumum
-report any charges that aren't yours

and NOW - protect your PIN

this space is intentionally blank, other than this note about it being blank.

March 7, 2010, 1:03 p.m.

Limiting your life because you are paranoid over something is worse IMO than
the hassle of having your ID stolen.

HAHhahahahahahah. By not carrying a chipped card in my wallet, my life is limited, as in, somehow less than what it could be?

I need to rethink the concept of living.

If your ID is ever stolen or compromised, you will realize the error in your statement. It's not just a hassle, it affects your life from then on.

:canada: :swiss:

March 7, 2010, 1:05 p.m.

gerewhore, when you get your replacement card, accompanied by the new users agreement, make sure you read the liability section, and how having a PIN changes it.

March 7, 2010, 1:06 p.m.

I have never met that girl but I think we share the same "less is more dirtbag lifestlye"

AND she was writing her "I got fucked over by the CC compainy" at the same time I was writing a "maybe this shit can be compromised?" post

Being a recovering IT guy I have had company e-mails come around with pictures of sucessful ABM and credit card scams ,one day a crook hangs a new box off the front of an ABM and scams a bunch of users …is this new thing I am looking at next time I go to the bank a rip off or new hardware ?

and while it IS very unusual ,I have personaly fixed an ABM that was giving out money on the previous cardholders card

having said all that I still use debit but mostly a visa card ,I use banks to my advantage and having spent at least 20yrs in them as a contracter I am not afraid of any of financial instution …its (including TGs' POV) merely all points to ponder

what I am afriad of is openning my visa statement from a month in whistler

March 7, 2010, 1:11 p.m.

I would switch cc provider if I was you.

The TWO times I had fraudulent charges against my credit card, VISA voided the charges with no hassle to me whatsoever. All I had to do was tell them I didn't make the purchase and that was it.

WAR IS PEACE, FREEDOM IS SLAVERY, IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH.

March 7, 2010, 1:13 p.m.

Jah, it was Visa, and we're talking about years of fraudulent usage here, not just one or two charges.

March 7, 2010, 1:16 p.m.

Jah, it was Visa, and we're talking about years of fraudulent usage here, not just one or two charges.

Yeah I here ya. The only way to avoid what happened to you would be to check your credit history. Still not sure how someone could associate a card with you if they didn't have more than your name. DOB, SIN, etc. Would be really easy to prove it wasn't you.

Almost every purchase is easily investigated too. Make a purchase at a store, boom you're on camera. Make it online, boom there is a digital history. I don't understand why you have the issues you have. I would contact a lawyer if I were you.

WAR IS PEACE, FREEDOM IS SLAVERY, IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH.

March 7, 2010, 1:19 p.m.

if cc companies really wanted to cut down on fraud they would make it mandatory to show a second piece of gov't issued ID when using the card to make a purchase.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

March 7, 2010, 1:23 p.m.

if cc companies really wanted to cut down on fraud they would make it mandatory to show a second piece of gov't issued ID when using the card to make a purchase.

had to show picture ID at IGA in whistler to use visa

March 7, 2010, 1:25 p.m.

i've been violated before as well and it wasn't a fun experience.

Just thought I would point this out……carry on.

The Ham

March 7, 2010, 1:32 p.m.

HAHhahahahahahah. By not carrying a chipped card in my wallet, my life is limited, as in, somehow less than what it could be?

I need to rethink the concept of living.

If your ID is ever stolen or compromised, you will realize the error in your statement. It's not just a hassle, it affects your life from then on.

I mean that if you don't have a credit card (if you're worried about the chip you
SHOULD be worried about the swipe thefts), there are a lot of things you can't
do if you want to travel or rent things, etc. Also, if you're that paranoid, then you
must spend a lot of your time worrying about it. IMO that limits your life.

This comes back to keeping an eye on your shit. How in the hell did someone
go for "years" without you finding out about it? Doing a credit check every few
months should fix that. Checking your CC statements on a regular basis would
preclude anyone from using your number for purchases for more than a couple
weeks. With on-line banking, it is easy to check your statement weekly or even
daily if you want.

If someone wants to steal your ID there are a lot easier ways than waiting for
the right person to walk by with a reader. Hell, not sure if I could do it here in
Canada (I don't know the system too well) but in the US it's pretty easy actually.

1) Go to library and search the newspapers in the age group you're looking for
in the birth announcements. Many of them list the date, hospital you were born
and both your parents names. Take this information and request a copy of your
birth certificate from the hall of records. Have it sent to a po box.

2) Take your birth certificate to the social security office and request a SS card.
I'm sure they've gotten harder to get, but with a little investigation I'm sure even
I could do it.

3) Take your new SS card and birth cert to the DMV and get a drivers license.

It's best if you do the physical in person stuff in a different city or state than the
person you're stealing their id from was born.

You may not be able to use someones CC, but you sure can get one pretty easy.
Given enough time, CC co's will start sending you CC offers if you're lucky for
the person you've stolen their id from. Mostly, you do this so you have a license
to give the cops if you get stopped, and if you're prints are not on record, you
could even spend a night or two in jail and not worry about it. Once you've gotten
too many tickets or you've run up a bill that's to high for you to pay off, cut up
the card.

This is all low tech, so you can see how easy it is to take over someone else's life
with a criminal mind, money and drive.

BTW, I had someone use my ID info (it was a relative) for gas, water, rent, and
got several tickets on my name. Never mind this person was 20 years older than
me and the people at the SS office should have clued in. I caught it within a month
and it was solved pretty damn quick.

March 7, 2010, 1:32 p.m.

Just thought I would point this out……carry on.

The Ham

yeah but he's talking about a sandwich

March 7, 2010, 1:33 p.m.

Read how easy it is to get ID above.