Credit Card Chips

March 7, 2010, 9:40 a.m.

unfuckingbelievable.

how the fuck did you even manage to qualify for a credit card?

this.

March 7, 2010, 10:20 a.m.

Don't forget to gouge out the RFID chip they put in your neck too. It's in that soft spot just below and behind your ear. Dig deep, it's way back there.

I thought it was on the back of her neck on top of the spine?

March 7, 2010, 11:02 a.m.

As far as I know the chip is just an ecrypted version of the stripe. Similar to the RFID used for security access to buildings. Where did you read that it stores info?

If the credit card companies want to store info on their customers they certainly don't need to store it on your credit card.

Edit:
http://www.moneris.com/en/MerchantServices/Chip%20Technology/Chip%20-%20FAQ.aspx

Our company uses the same chip technology for security cards. It provides authentication that we're who we say we are.

Authentication is a read/write operation on the card, same as credit cards. RFID is a read-only technology. Only authentication info is stored, not details of any transaction. The write operation prevents cards being forged in isolation. With the chip you can only forge the card if you monitor a transaction and have the PIN.

Transactions are slower due to the write operation, but the credit card companies hope this will reduce the number of forged cards. The chip is for their protection, not yours.

March 7, 2010, 11:36 a.m.

Some stores are still swipe and some have converted to chip ,as a recovering end loser IT guy I would bet chip needs a differnt cardreader from the bank/a software update and some smuck to do it all after hrs ,at which point depending on the system it will hopefully work ,the 1st debit card rollout was a failure at some stores … notably safeway

I think once chip is enabled everywhere it will be a great thing because you have a pin ,in europe half the time visa didnt work for me apparently cuz my card didnt have a chip

flame that girl all you like but using her somewhat unusual approach to life , money and money handling she owns realestate ,doesnt work, and spends a great deal of time actualy ridng her bike as opposed to smack talking with people on the interent who used to ride their bikes

March 7, 2010, 11:42 a.m.

flame that girl all you like but using her somewhat unusual approach to life , money and money handling she owns realestate ,doesnt work, and spends a great deal of time actualy ridng her bike as opposed to smack talking with people on the interent who used to ride their bikes

oh good grief.

you missed it.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

March 7, 2010, 11:54 a.m.

I don't really care that you people think I'm paranoid. I question things that I think are capable of being abused and misused as opposed to just swallowing what I'm fed. Uh oh, I must be insane.
Do any of you guys surf the internet without a firewall or antivirus? Isn't this the same group of people that were afraid that their frivolous emails were going to be read if using certain types of providers?
I'm questioning the usage of a microchip embedded in your credit cards, driver's licences, and passports; actual important 'documents'.
Only a few people actually had anything intelligent to say, I'm surprised nobody suggested moving to China. I'm not suggesting that it's a tracking device, or that the gov't is keeping tabs on us or anything outlandish here, I'm questioning the security of the technology, since nobody has ever invented a way to bypass virtual security before.
:rolleyes:

:canada: :swiss:

March 7, 2010, 11:55 a.m.

In the not-so-far future, we in Europe are going to have chips with all our personal data in/on our passports - there are already devices that can read this info - same possibility, different contents.

But I am missing synchro's point as well….hmmm.

"You don't learn from experience. You learn from reflecting on the experience."
- Kristen Ulmer

March 7, 2010, 11:57 a.m.

Not all "chip" cards are RFID. If your card looks like this:

Then it is NOT RFID. The gold squares are contacts that need to be inserted into a reader to get the information. Info stored on the card is transmitted to the data center and decoded there (not at the store's reader).

RFID is sandwiched into the plastic, needs most of the card's space to fit the antenna:

Visa cards w/RFID chips are easy to identify:

I don't think there's much, if any, RFID used in Canada yet. Non-RFID chips are just starting to penetrate the market. Also, I'm pretty sure you will only be issued a RFID card if you ask for it (for now, anyway).

Bigger picture, there are all sorts of transactions that don't use the chip or your signature (gas station pay at pump, internet purchases), so focusing on this one issue is a bit over the top IMO.

Kn.

When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity.

When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called religion.

March 7, 2010, 11:57 a.m.

Thatgirl, if all you are worried about is your card info being stolen to make purchases it is a moot point. Signatures are never checked, we all make purchases online or on phone only with the card number and sometimes the "security" pin on the back.

Besides, credit card companies really protect the user. I have had two situations where my card was stolen (in bangkok) or the strip copied and both times the thieves tried making purchases (one time about $100 another about $700) and both times the credit card companies stopped the purchases as they looked suspicious. Both times they said if the transaction had gone through I wouldn't have been on the hook for any of it.

March 7, 2010, 12:14 p.m.

oh good grief.

you missed it.

some one always does

you arent going to get that girl to be comfortable using a credit card

and irrespective of her beliefs that the sky will fall in if she uses a credit card …she has done fine spending only cash

March 7, 2010, 12:20 p.m.

some one always does

you arent going to get that girl to be comfortable using a credit card

i'm not really worried about whether she's comfortable using a credit card or what her financial situation is. but, as i understand it she's done well for herself which i think is great.

We don't know what our limits are, so to start something with the idea of being limited actually ends up limiting us.
Ellen Langer

March 7, 2010, 12:39 p.m.

Just for informational purposes, I am not afraid to use a credit card, I am concerned with how safe a chipped card is, as it can be read through your clothing and wallet without having to be presented.
I have been the victim of both credit card fraud and identity theft, so I am always leery of these sorts of virtual technologies. Both frauds came about when someone stole some mail out of my rural mailbox and there was a pre-approved credit card application in there. It only had my first initial but full last name on it, so the guy filled it out and got a card. The name he used is not my first name, but the company gave him the card anyway, and he racked it up and walked away from it, but not before using it to create an identity.

It all came back to me a few years later, investigation and me having to prove that it was not me, BIG pain in the ass, and from that day forward, every time I make a credit card purchase that is out of the ordinary, or out of a specific radius from where I live, the card is swiped, and then I have to get on the phone and prove that it is really me making the purchase. Sometimes they just phone me at home later in the day, which is much less embarrassing.
So yes, I am suspicious of things with security that seems easily breached to me.

:canada: :swiss:

March 7, 2010, 12:41 p.m.

everytime a new security device is invented doesn't someone find a way around it ?

what if someone figures out a way to collect PINS and the card companies have written their liability out of the agreement ?

that girls understanding of the nuts [HTML_REMOVED] bolts around chip tech is not the greatest but she has her points

for whomever asked how that girl managed to get a credit car,people have had them accidently sent to their dogs SO it would appear anybody can get one and maybe that girl's fears have some basis if a dog can get a visa card

AND that girl has no debits [HTML_REMOVED] owns property …she could have a better credit rating than you do if not many struggling family types

and well what is "well" … she doesnt have much stuff [HTML_REMOVED] rides her bike a lot

March 7, 2010, 12:45 p.m.

everytime a new security device is invented doesn't someone find a way around it ?

what if someone figures out a way to collect PINS and the card companies have written their liability out of the agreement ?

that girls understanding of the nuts [HTML_REMOVED] bolts around chip tech is not the greatest but she has her points

for whomever asked how that girl managed to get a credit car,people have had them accidently sent to their dogs SO it would appear anybody can get one and maybe that girl's fears have some basis if a dog can get a visa card

AND that girl has no debits [HTML_REMOVED] owns property …she could have a better credit rating than you do if not many struggling family types

and well what is "well" … she doesnt have much stuff [HTML_REMOVED] rides her bike a lot

you're really hanging from her… ah, err nevermind.

Ellen Langer

March 7, 2010, 12:50 p.m.

I am concerned with how safe a chipped card is, as it can be read through your clothing and wallet without having to be presented.

like kenN pointed out, it really depends on the type of card/chip used. if you really need to know call your bank/cc provider.

sorry to hear about the other stuff tho. i've been violated before as well and it wasn't a fun experience.

Ellen Langer