Coyotes.

March 16, 2013, 9:09 p.m.

edit: the picture I posted is probably too gruesome to be SFW by the new nanny-state standards, so here is the link

Regardless of the wolf issue that form of dog hunting is a disgrace.

Releasing the dogs then just driving around and tracking them via GPS is lame. It's like some video game generation version of real hunting.

March 16, 2013, 9:16 p.m.

Regardless of the wolf issue that form of dog hunting is a disgrace.

Releasing the dogs then just driving around and tracking them via GPS is lame. It's like some video game generation version of real hunting.

I imagine you've never chased a pack on foot?
Houndsmen work hard for a hunt. Treeing a cat also makes it a lot easier not to shoot females with kittens, as even if the kittens aren't visible, the signs of nursing are still obvious.
With regards to dogs getting killed, it happens. I don't let my dog run loose if I've seen any wolf sign, because a pack will kill a domestic dog, and it's not like it's a quick clean kill either.
Aaaaannnnd…Cougar meat is delicious. #1 tastiest animal you can hunt in Canada in my opinion, and I've tried pretty much anything you that can be hunted in this country. There's a lot of people who would agree with me too. Cougar is legally a game animal in BC, not a fur-bearing animal. That means it's illegal to kill it and not remove all edible portions of the carcass.

Trucks and Guns.

March 19, 2013, 10:56 a.m.

Cougar meat is delicious. #1 tastiest animal you can hunt in Canada in my opinion, and I've tried pretty much anything you that can be hunted in this country. There's a lot of people who would agree with me too. Cougar is legally a game animal in BC, not a fur-bearing animal. That means it's illegal to kill it and not remove all edible portions of the carcass.

I've tried tracking coyotes in the bush, and it's near impossible.
But a cougar is something different. I couldn't imagine the skill involved in hunting a cat.

That's what people forget when they're chastising hunters. What you see on the tv shows, David Booth's twitter, and stories of big time US game hunters with trackers and gps isn't real. Real hunting is tough on the body and mind. It's cold and wet out there during hunting season. It's easy to get turned around in the bush and end up lost deep in the woods. It's very dangerous too, with terrain and predators vying to kill a hunter who isn't paying attention.

The truth is that the medulla oblongata is still alive and well in many of us. The ability to hunt and catch our own food does great things for a man's psyche. Some get that through sports, others through sex, but everyone needs something to tame their inner savage. Take away our nice clothes, and we're not much different from the animals…

March 19, 2013, 11:09 a.m.

That's what people forget when they're chastising hunters.

For the record I am not chastising hunters.

I am chastising hunting via slapping a GPS on your dogs, letting them out of the truck to track the prey and then just following the GPS screen to find the tree'd cougar.

Compared to the hunting I grew up with that would just be playing a video game.

I don't doubt hunting cougar is very difficult. Do it without the GPS collars.

March 19, 2013, 11:22 a.m.

I like watching the guys on the hunting channel. They sit in abound up in a tree, on a game farm, and shoot the deer that come within 20 feet of the tree. The guys are fully decked of in the latest and best hunting gear, with a high powered rifle that has a $2K Swarovski scope.

It's like fishing with dynamite. High five!

It is easy to dodge our responsibilities, but we cannot dodge the consequences of dodging our responsibilities.
- Josiah Stamp

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

March 19, 2013, 11:56 a.m.

That's what people forget when they're chastising hunters. What you see on the tv shows, David Booth's twitter, and stories of big time US game hunters with trackers and gps isn't real. Real hunting is tough on the body and mind. It's cold and wet out there during hunting season. It's easy to get turned around in the bush and end up lost deep in the woods. It's very dangerous too, with terrain and predators vying to kill a hunter who isn't paying attention.

AHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHHAHHAHAHAHAHA

It's partially true.

The lazy hunters use gps and dogs, because they are lazy. Cougar meat isn't that good, and chasing a defenseless cat up a tree and shooting it is a fucking joke. I feel bad for cougars since they are such a beautiful animal.

Most people drive around in a 4x4 on gravel roads looking at logging slashes cause they are lazy or camp out in their motor home and rip around in their quads destroying my nice walking trails made by deer..These people try and call themselves hunters because they get up at 5am to hit the roads with high beams. Sorry you've never really hunted until you've got up at 2am to climb 3000 vertical feet to get to a peak where the elk are, for a week straight.

Yes there are a few real hunters out there still, but the majority look and act like every douche on a hunting show.

I've all but stopped hunting aside from ducks nowadays. Most of my hunting spots passed down are either shot out or logged, that or I don't have time to drive 8 hours for a 2 day hunt.

It's refreshing to see those dogs slaughtered by a cougar.. I'm sure the fat lazy hunter was butthurt bad. Hunting without gps collars is just as easy. You can hear a dog bark when he has found the cougar for a square kilometer.

Clunking is for retards.

March 19, 2013, 11:10 p.m.

Well here's an idea, don't fucking do it then.

Hunting or eating ANY wildlife in this day and age of habitat distruction, pollution and general eco system collapse is fucking pathetic. Guess fucking what, it ain't the same world a it was 100 years ago, outdated traditions like hunting are about as relevant as burning people on the stake for practicing which craft.

The cunting human plague knows no limits of arrogance and entitlement.

"I do like how you generally bring an open-minded and positive vibe to the threads you participate in"

- Morgman

March 19, 2013, 11:23 p.m.

Well here's an idea, don't fucking do it then.

Hunting or eating ANY wildlife in this day and age of habitat distruction, pollution and general eco system collapse is fucking pathetic. Guess fucking what, it ain't the same world a it was 100 years ago, outdated traditions like hunting are about as relevant as burning people on the stake for practicing which craft.

The cunting human plague knows no limits of arrogance and entitlement.

Tell you what,

You can live in your concrete jungle eating low grade, factory farmed everything…and i'll continue to live in the country hunting,fishing,gathering and growing real food without judging you.

You wanna talk about entitlement?

Yes, I am entitled to not pay 40 bucks for a mealy farmed salmon or 6 bucks a pound for feed lot ground e-coli beef.

Nor should I pay 3 bucks for an handful of "hothouse" tomatoes or beets when I can grow them for pennies to your dollar.

Go ahead and judge real food hunters….I wont judge,but I do pity people like you.

Pastor of Muppets

March 19, 2013, 11:54 p.m.

Tell you what,

You can live in your concrete jungle eating low grade, factory farmed everything…and i'll continue to live in the country hunting,fishing,gathering and growing real food without judging you.

You wanna talk about entitlement?

Yes, I am entitled to not pay 40 bucks for a mealy farmed salmon or 6 bucks a pound for feed lot ground e-coli beef.

Nor should I pay 3 bucks for an handful of "hothouse" tomatoes or beets when I can grow them for pennies to your dollar.

Go ahead and judge real food hunters….I wont judge,but I do pity people like you.

Pity all you like. I know people who are soooo in touch with the land like yourself. They burn a load more fuel than the average city dweller, have a much larger environmental impact from running electric, water and sewer Infrastructure to rural areas. Yet they have real cosy feeling inside when they're drinking they're own piss in the woods pretending to be fucking Bear Grylls.

I don't eat fish. Full of PCB's and mercury don't you know… Also morally indefensible in this day and age. Two minutes with a marine biologist will teach you that.

That said I'm full of admiration for your vegetable growing. I wish I had the discipline. Still, I like supporting the local farmers via shops that support them as oppose to the shit in Save On.

"I do like how you generally bring an open-minded and positive vibe to the threads you participate in"

- Morgman

March 20, 2013, 7:05 a.m.

A healthy game animal population is dependent on having enough food in an area to support the population over the winter. If the population density increases and the area cannot support it, the whole population will suffer.

By having a regulated hunting system, biologists and the people at Fish and Wildlife can try to keep population levels in balance buy increasing or decreasing hunting seasons. Game animal species are generally on the increase across the province and their habitat is not growing with them. Letting population density reaches levels where the land can no longer support it, would eventually kill more animals than selective hunting.

The money that hunters spend on licenses and tags helps pay for wildlife projects and keeps the Fish, Wildlife and Habitat Management Branch going.

Wetland conservation is also reliant on hunters.

Have you ever thought about how much diesel is burnt in putting that steak on your plate? From growing the food to feed the cow, to finally transporting the cut meat to your local butcher. There is a LOT of fuel burnt in that process.

The moose and deer I eat is not only healthy, low fat, natural and without medication, I can have less of an impact on our environment by eating it.

>>---------> (x)
My flickr

March 20, 2013, 7:19 a.m.

Nechako,I think his original rant shows clearly that he just doesn't get it.

Saw the Kennedy elk herd the other day…wow!

Pastor of Muppets

March 20, 2013, 8:38 a.m.

A healthy game animal population is dependent on having enough food in an area to support the population over the winter. If the population density increases and the area cannot support it, the whole population will suffer.

By having a regulated hunting system, biologists and the people at Fish and Wildlife can try to keep population levels in balance buy increasing or decreasing hunting seasons. Game animal species are generally on the increase across the province and their habitat is not growing with them. Letting population density reaches levels where the land can no longer support it, would eventually kill more animals than selective hunting.

The money that hunters spend on licenses and tags helps pay for wildlife projects and keeps the Fish, Wildlife and Habitat Management Branch going.

Wetland conservation is also reliant on hunters.

Have you ever thought about how much diesel is burnt in putting that steak on your plate? From growing the food to feed the cow, to finally transporting the cut meat to your local butcher. There is a LOT of fuel burnt in that process.

The moose and deer I eat is not only healthy, low fat, natural and without medication, I can have less of an impact on our environment by eating it.

As I said previously. That old crap spouted by hunters how they're so integral to ecology is an outdated joke. Almost all species are in decline and if they're not it's because of up chain predator numbers having their habitat destroyed or they've been preyed upon by heros with guns. See the Grizzly Bear. Obviously this works in reverse, see the Salmon/Orca relationship.

I wish hunters would just have the guts to say they like killing things. It's hilarious that they think they're doing a service to nature when humans have only been killing wildlife on a large scale for a couple hundred years. The fucking arrogance is astounding. Yeah guys, the evolutionary timescale of nature is now totally reliant on you shooting wildlife to maintain a healthy ecosystem. It was totally fucked for the 200 million years before you arrived to save the day.

- Morgman

March 20, 2013, 12:11 p.m.

Awesome..^

March 20, 2013, 7:02 p.m.

As I said previously. That old crap spouted by hunters how they're so integral to ecology is an outdated joke. Almost all species are in decline and if they're not it's because of up chain predator numbers having their habitat destroyed or they've been preyed upon by heros with guns. See the Grizzly Bear. Obviously this works in reverse, see the Salmon/Orca relationship.

I wish hunters would just have the guts to say they like killing things. It's hilarious that they think they're doing a service to nature when humans have only been killing wildlife on a large scale for a couple hundred years. The fucking arrogance is astounding. Yeah guys, the evolutionary timescale of nature is now totally reliant on you shooting wildlife to maintain a healthy ecosystem. It was totally fucked for the 200 million years before you arrived to save the day.

You know what?

You're right….my way of doing things is way off and outdated.

So here's what we'll do.

First we'll clear huge tracts of land in North America's grasslands and plant the specific grains and grasses we want so we can make feed and good silage. We're gonna have to dose the crap out of it with pesticides and fertilizers though,cause this stuff doesn't normally grow here. Some of it will leach into the water tables, but we're not here for water are we buddy? Speaking of water, we're gonna have to irrigate the crap out of it to make sure it grows real nice….hope none of the creeks I always see the wildlife drinking from dry up!

Next we'll clear some more land to make what I'll call "feedlots"….we're gonna need a lot of land….and some more water I guess….get us some more pumps,will ya?

Now we'll need to selective breed and inbreed some cattle over and over unitl we get a few million of them going. We're gonna have to keep doing this thousands of times a day, and they're not gonna fuck themselves,so get to it!

Dont forget to keep up on their antibiotics , vitamin, mineral and growth hormone shots….were gonna need that stuff by the tanker load!

By the way….dont let your kids or dogs near that stream running off of the feedlot down to the river. On second thought, dont go near the river either….all that hormone,urine, feces and pesticide laden runoff is toxic.

We'll make some nice steaks though!

Pastor of Muppets

March 20, 2013, 8 p.m.

^^^ I was just about to post a similar response. :D

In 2010 there were 1,830,542 gun owners in Canada. Lets say most of those people use their firearms for hunting. Remove hunting and you still have about 1,830,542 people that want to eat meat.

Raising that extra 1,830,542 cattle is going to put one heck of the dent in the existing wildlife habitat and have severe negative effects on the environment.

How is this possibly a better situation than regulated hunting?

>>---------> (x)
My flickr