Coyotes.

March 11, 2013, 4:36 p.m.

I disagree. The coyotes we saw on a regular basis back in PoCo vs coyotes I have seen everywhere else are like a husky vs a cocker spaniel in size difference.

Those are some well fed SOB's in the Lower Mainland.

Saw one in the Delta Watershed about a month ago that was the size of a well fed German Sheppard. Lots of food around I guess.

March 11, 2013, 5:57 p.m.

according to wikipedia coyotes have been recorded up to 75 lbs…wolves average up to 100…

a few people around here claim we have wolves or maybe hybrids…

i'm not sure about that. the pictures i have seen vs the animals i see in my yard , up 7 or wicked ditches etc look like Wile E. to me…

March 11, 2013, 7:41 p.m.

Something in .223/5.56 caliber would be ideal, but you could also do something like 7.62x39 .

Oh why fuck around with little piss-ant pea-shooters like those?

Much Better this Genuine Sharps .50cal Buffalo Gun!

Guaranteed to Kill from the Muzzle while Wounding with the Butt Plate!

Hell, just the concussion from this cannon alone will send ever coyote in the Valley scurrying to Montana.

1 down

You Brute!

Freedom of contract. We sell them guns that kill them; they sell us drugs that kill us.

March 11, 2013, 8:46 p.m.

1 down

Must spread rep.

according to wikipedia coyotes have been recorded up to 75 lbs…wolves average up to 100…

a few people around here claim we have wolves or maybe hybrids…

i'm not sure about that. the pictures i have seen vs the animals i see in my yard , up 7 or wicked ditches etc look like Wile E. to me…

100 lbs is on the small side for a grey wolf (what was brought in down here. See pic below). I think the timber wolves that have been spotted farther SW in BC in the last few years are a bit smaller though.

Here is a good comparison (and the best thing to do with either one)

Some scale would be nice, but the wolf is probably 7-8' toe to toe. That is a good sized coyote there as well. Probably similar to the larger ones in the lower mainland.

That's the problem with cities, they're refuges for the weak, the fish that didn't evolve.

I don't want to google this - sounds like a thing that NSMB will be better at.

March 12, 2013, 9:41 a.m.

Where I live coyotes are becoming an increasing problem. There are two known "packs" in the area, resulting in roughly 12-15 coyotes.

Whereabouts in Langley are you?
We're on a farm in Ft Langley, and have/had some serious coyote problems.

Getting a crazy phone call from the wife and coming home to this scene was enough for me to pull out the .22

At one time we had a group of 3 coyotes with the leader being close to 70 lbs. He was a monster, and actually attempted to snatch our dog right off the leash as my wife was walking him. The trio was finally eradicated by the local farmers, but it was a very scary few weeks.

This little prick was 30 lbs (big for a coyote, small for a Langley coyote) and had remnants of one of our farm cats in his belly.

Like you mentioned, they hunt based on success and they found success in eating our animals instead of the field rats and squirrels.

I guess we're still better off than some areas.
Granted, we don't have Ted Nugent protecting us either…..

Get a donkey!
Seriously, they hates :swearing: coyotes and will kick the shit out of them on sight! Llamas will too but donkeys' cheaper.

Just keep your neighbours dogs away from 'em…….:o

Good call!
We got a Llama shortly after the sheep attack, and she's kept the livestock safe since.

But determinately keep the dogs away. Llama don't give a shit. Once she sees a dog like animal, she goes nuts. Hissing, spitting, kicking, and chasing.

It's quite funny to watch actually.
:lol:

If there are laws against shooting them (and you are somewhere that it is safe to do so) they do make sub-sonic .223 rounds…

You can shoot off a single shot, sub sonic round ONLY in a situation where you need to defend your animals. So you can't actively hunt coyotes on the property, but if you see them around your sheep, grab the gun.

I don't like killing things, it goes against my closet Buddhist beliefs. But in a defensive situation, there are few other options.
As for the white light thing, yeah, it doesn't work. All it takes is one time for the animal to realize the light isn't a danger, and they'll adapt.

Some scale would be nice, but the wolf is probably 7-8' toe to toe. That is a good sized coyote there as well. Probably similar to the larger ones in the lower mainland.

If I saw that thing on my property, I would literally shat my pants.
To see a 75lb coyote is an amazing thing. We have a 110lb Great Dane, and if he wanted to eat me, he could. I couldn't imagine a predator his size roaming our area.

It was bad enough when they spotted a cougar down the road from us last month…..

March 12, 2013, 9:45 a.m.

PS: If anyone is offended by my pics, pm me and I'll remove them.

March 12, 2013, 9:55 a.m.

PS: If anyone is offended by my pics, pm me and I'll remove them.

Oh noes!

Don't make the cityfolk stare the real world in the eyes!

Pastor of Muppets

March 12, 2013, 9:58 a.m.

:lol:

Hey man, in a world where a nursing mom is offensive to some people, I want to cover my ass.

March 12, 2013, 10:14 a.m.

Shoot shovel and shut-up.

You valley boys certainly didn't learn how to deal with things the same way we did back in rural Ontario.

March 12, 2013, 10:37 a.m.

That's a good point.
Although it's tough to talk about how to deal with these things if everyone is afraid of talking about them.

The farmers in my area get together twice a year for a "predator meeting". My neighbor has something crazy like 250,000 chickens. They have issues with coons, coyotes, large rats, etc, etc, etc so the meetings are a good way to get outside ideas on how to deal with the problems.

No one enjoys killing anything. I'd much rather see the coyotes in the field hunting the mice and rats, because they are an important part of the ecosystem.

But they're opportunistic and selfish animals, and given the chance will attack anything, from rats to cats, to kids. I'm always afraid that I'll crash my bike somewhere on my trail, and knock myself out. Only to wake up with a coyote gnawing on my foot.

That could happen…

You valley boys certainly didn't learn how to deal with things the same way we did back in rural Ontario.

Rural Ontario is serious business.
But we're getting there.

March 12, 2013, 10:39 a.m.

Funny..in 10 years of being in Ontario I have only seen 2 Coyotes. Saw way more in the same time span in Van.

www.thisiswhy.co.uk

www.teamnfi.blogspot.com/

March 12, 2013, 11:27 a.m.

I grew up on a farm in Mt.Lehman. We had/have a big pack of Coyotes that lived in the forest behind my parents barn. The easiest solution was securing the animals against them. They Coyotes are only a threat against smaller animals; Cows/horses can handle them selves.

P.S. Langley could do with a few less horses.

Fraser Valley Mountain Bikers Assoc.

March 12, 2013, 11:33 a.m.

Funny..in 10 years of being in Ontario I have only seen 2 Coyotes. Saw way more in the same time span in Van.

You know why?

Rural farmers have no problems shooting them. No buddist worries for them.

March 13, 2013, 9:01 a.m.

I grew up on a farm in Mt.Lehman. We had/have a big pack of Coyotes that lived in the forest behind my parents barn. The easiest solution was securing the animals against them. They Coyotes are only a threat against smaller animals; Cows/horses can handle them selves.

You're mostly right.
The problem is that the coyotes themselves have adapted. They're bigger, smarter, and craftier than when I was growing up in rural Cloverdale back in the 80's/90's.

These days I've seen coyotes take down sheep, young llamas, and watched a few months ago as they chased the cows around my neighbors field. These are not the pesky little rat hunters that we grew up with. These are now animals who are not afraid of people. These are dogs who have been displaced by the huge development we've seen, and they're not too happy about it. Or are they?

90% of the coyotes we see don't fuck with me, but they have approached my wife before. There's no question that the potential for them to attack a child is there. That's what I'm worried about. The cats and dogs and sheep can be replaced. People, not so much.

You know why?

Rural farmers have no problems shooting them. No buddist worries for them.

:coo:

March 13, 2013, 6:13 p.m.

Late to the party here, but holy hell that is a massive coyote. We was hanging in the park yesterday(never too old) and saw a couple of small ones run right by us, but they were half the size of this one picturred. Had no idea they're getting that big in the valley. We live next to a school and we hear them howling all the time.. I dont mind shooting a gun if need be

I'm happy to get outside and enjoy nature while I can, but I fear for the future of humanity